1st Trimester

I broke up with my OB!

After last week's disappointment at my 1st appointment with the nurse, I started researching other practicing within the same hospital and told them what I wanted.  I found another practice and they sound fabulous!!!!  They fit me in for an appointment tomorrow with the DOCTOR and we will talk about an u/s!!!

Also got my blood results back and they look great!! :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I broke up with my OB!

• Well that's great you found a great dr so fast!  What was wrong with other practice, other than you had to be seen by nurse?  I wouldn't have been too happy with that myself.  As a first time mommy myself I want a well qualified dr to see me and guide me along the way.

Good luck and again congrats that you found a dr!! :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm in the process of doing that right now.  It's interesting and exciting at the same time.

Good luck!

Started TTC September 2006 5 Rounds of Clomid FAIL | 4 FAILed IUIs | Thousands of dollars wasted in IF treatments Combination of supplements and relaxtion = 2 BFPs BFP Spud 5.10.2010 | EDD 1.15.11| No heartbeat and d&c 6.17.2010 BFP Sprout 9.28.10 | EDD 6.4.11 | It's a BOY!!!| Born 6.10.11 Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Following my d&c, we had 1 crazy cycle and 1 normal cycle, and then we got a BFP on 9.28.10! Baby C was born 6.10.11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageroxy270:

Well that's great you found a great dr so fast!  What was wrong with other practice, other than you had to be seen by nurse?  I wouldn't have been too happy with that myself.  As a first time mommy myself I want a well qualified dr to see me and guide me along the way.

Good luck and again congrats that you found a dr!! :)

I wasn't going to be seen again until 12 weeks because that is policy!  I know practices do this but this just isn't for me.  I want to be seen every 4 weeks from the time I find out I'm pg.  I also wasn't going to be given the option of having a viability u/s even if my insurance didn't cover it....we are willing to pay out of pocket to make sure everything is okay.  Also I am extremely bloat with this pg and since it is my 2nd, people are already starting to ask, so I am not comfortable telling people unless I see/hear the heartbeat.

• Hmmmmm.  I saw my OB at 6 weeks and won't be seen again until 12 weeks.  I don't see anything wrong with this.  Did you have complications with your last pregnancy?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • imageLittleApple:
    Hmmmmm.  I saw my OB at 6 weeks and won't be seen again until 12 weeks.  I don't see anything wrong with this.  Did you have complications with your last pregnancy?

I didn't see my OB at 6 weeks....I saw the nurse and had blood taken....that was it....no pelvic exam or anything.  If I were to have an u/s inbetween 6 & 12 week appointment I would feel better but I have anxiety and tend to worry.  No....my pregnancy with Olivia was fine....I just want to know my baby is okay at this point! :)

• I wouldn't have done it, but good for you for being proactive about what you want to care to be. I hope this new practice is what you're looking for. :)
  • Good for you - it's your healthcare, your body, your baby and your decision! Glad it is giving you some peace of mind.

PG#1 - 3rd cycle BFP. Team Green. HELLP syndrome @ 34 weeks.
    Later diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, possible link to HELLP.

PG#2 M/C 3/14 - Surprise BFP 2/13. Beta's doubled every 52 hours from 3w5d-5w5d
    Viable pregnancy scan at 5w5d; 2nd u/s showed 2 days of growth in 7 but a HB of 120
    3rd u/s on 3/10/14 had no HB and baby had only grown 7 days over 14
    D&C 3/17/14 - complications - DX Retroflexed uterus, multiple tears to cervix

All Welcome

Chart

• imagejenbowman:

imageLittleApple:
    Hmmmmm.  I saw my OB at 6 weeks and won't be seen again until 12 weeks.  I don't see anything wrong with this.  Did you have complications with your last pregnancy?

I didn't see my OB at 6 weeks....I saw the nurse and had blood taken....that was it....no pelvic exam or anything.  If I were to have an u/s inbetween 6 & 12 week appointment I would feel better but I have anxiety and tend to worry.  No....my pregnancy with Olivia was fine....I just want to know my baby is okay at this point! :)

Wow.  Not even a pelvic exam?  I don't blame you then!!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Since I was new to my practice all I got to see was the nurse at the first appointment and all it included was getting a very detailed health history and giving me information on being pregnant, of course two weeks later I will have an appointment with the the dr that includes an ultrasound right around ten weeks.   I guess everyone has different expectations, I am glad you found what you are looking for.

• I remember your other post.  So glad you did this!  GL with the new Dr.
  • Congrats on the breakup.  I dumped mine today too, for similar reasons.  I just felt like they couldn't have cared less that I was pregnant.  my first appt was with a doctor, but it lasted all of the 5 min it took her to hand me some papers to read about mercury in fish and cord blood banking, and write out the order for some bloodwork (not betas, just regular bloodwork).  I had some questions and she cut me off before I could start asking and said I should "bring them to my next appt."  No exam, no "extensive medical history" - nada.

So I left.  I won't be seen any sooner (in fact, now I have to wait an extra 3 days) but maybe they'll be a little more thorough when I get there.

~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

• I'm breaking up with mine on Thursday =(

Not for any bad reasons, just my insurance is changing and I can go back to my old OB that delivered DS and whom I LOVED.

Glad you found one so quickly!!

• Good for you for knowing what you want.  I broke up with mine at 6 months and even switched hospitals, but I found a doctor that I love and that seems to genuinely care about me.  It is your body and your baby, good for you!!!
  • That's really strange. :/

Good for you for breaking up with them so quickly. Even though this is my first, I love the way the office has handled everything.

At 5 weeks, they did my confimation. I was seen at 8 weeks by a nurse and doctor. The pregnancy coord. went through and found out every aspect about our lives, they did a viability u/s, we talked to a Dr, and the ARNP I usually saw did the complete physical. They have set us up with an appointment every 4 weeks after this, regardless of if I needed it or not. Now that I'm third tri, my appointments will move up to every 2 weeks until 34 weeks or so. Then it's every week.

I've been very happy with this system and can't imagine waiting any longer for an appointment. Good call to switch when you did!

• I did the same thing! I saw my first doctor 3 times in as many weeks and every time I left her I felt more upset and angry than the last. The first time I went I was just past 7 wks and she had me come back in one week and didn't tell me why! It was infuriating! This is my first and having her give me little to no information was just making me crazy. She made me feel like there was something wrong with me, but didn't say so straight out. Just the fact that I had to keep coming back made me feel like there was something wrong. Honestly, now I think she was just having me come back so much so she could get the insurance money. (I have Tricare Prime Overseas as an active duty dependent and they pay for EVERYTHING.)

The day after I saw her the last time I called a new doctor, told her what was going on, and she told me I was fine and she would see me on June 10th. Now I am 12w1d and I can't wait to see how the baby is progressing in a week! Good for you for switching! Some doctors are just insensitive! 

• My cousin (a doctor) said that a lot of OBs have a policy of not taking patients until they are either 8 or 12 weeks along, just because of the high risk of miscarriage until then.

I do like my OB. I went to see him after taking two home pregnancy tests, and they tested my pee and did a regular pelvic exam; I had test results via email/website two days later. He did a viability U/S at 8 weeks to be sure it wasnt a tubal and then the regular 1st tri (12 week) U/S. Gender test at 20 weeks, and then he said that we have the option of paying for one at 30 weeks if insurance wont cover it.

"We like nothing better than buffing our Zygoma. And imagining a horny time traveling long overcoat purple scarf wearing super sleuth nordic legend fuck fantasy. Get to work on that, internet." Benedict Cumberbatch

GIFSoup 

<a href

• I broke up with my first OB and it was the best thing I ever did! They also had the policy of not seeing you until 8-12 weeks because of the high risk of miscarriage. However HUGE problem with that policy I ended up with HG bad enough to land me in the ER before 7 weeks, and my old OB wouldn't do anything because "they don't see people until after 8 weeks." 

• I just broke up with mine.  I had a miscarriage at 4 weeks in February (high risk HBP).  I got pregnant in March and went to see if everything was ok.  She asked if this was my first pregnancy.  I told her no, I miscarried in Feb.  I think a Doctor should read the file before coming in the room and asking questions they should know the answers to.....  I asked the nurses at the hospital for a name of a GOOD Dr., and went to her yesterday.  Love her and the nurses in her office.  And they also are sending me to a high risk Doc, which the other never mentioned. 

9 weeks and 3 days!!!!

• I am prego with my first and had to break up with my OB even before my first appointment.

I was 7 weeks and had some spotting, everything I read said to contact your OB, I did and they told me since I was a new patient they couldn't see me for a week and that if I was that concerned I should just make my way to the ER. The best they could do is see me two days earlier then had been originally scheduled. 

I asked if the Dr. or a Nurse Practitioner would be willing to call me back and perhaps be able to pin point better if I should be concerned but I was told they were too busy for that. 

So, with that being said, I called another office and they were able to see me 2 days later. I called back the original office to cancel my appointment and was told that I was already removed from their system.

So the new OB's Office was awesome! The waiting time for the visit was quick, the Dr. did a full exam including ultra sound and detected a heartbeat (at 7 weeks), then I met with the OB  Coordinator who went over all my paperwork and do's and don't and scheduled my next appointment.

And most importantly I can call them anytime and will be able to reach somebody who can answer any questions or concerns. Which for my first pregnancy is very important!

imageimageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker

Anniversary
  • awwww, I'm sorry you had to break up with your OB, but it's good you found a better one. I had to break up with my first OB with my first child, but it was because he scared me into thinking I was going to die my baby was going to die, or I was going to lose my kidneys all because I am a diabetic and he didn't want to deal with a high risk pregnancy. The next OB I found was (and still is) AMAZING! Infact I'm seeing her with my second who is due in a few weeks! (by the bye, I didn't lose my kidneys, my baby is super healthy, and I didn't die!!)
  •         I apologize for poor grammar. 'Pregnancy brain' is getting to me...I am 7 weeks along and am currently having the same problem with my OB. There is a difference though. I have been a patient of this particular Dr. for years and he has never failed me until now.

It's understandable why he can't see me until June 7th (he's on vacation with his family), but they orginally set up my appointment for May 26th and called me on May 25th to reschedule the appointment. They must have known he was going on an, apparently, three week vacation the day that I called to set up the original appointment.

Surprise, May 26th, I started having dark brown discharge and cramps. I wasn't worried until May 28th, when the dark brown discharge went to dark red. I called the after hours office and got through to his on-call doctor who told me that I needed to go to the ER and that there was nothing she could do. My OB was still on vacation in Europe, so what could she possibly do...? She literally said this to me!   :-(   We went to the same hospital that my OB practices at and even the ER doctor thought it was ridiculous that his nurses didn't recommend I see someone else, since he was going to be away for so long. He actually told me to go find another OB who would be able to see me sooner because I was already having a problem pregnancy and I needed someone who would be attentive to my needs  O.o     Unfortunately, I chose to stay, despite the delayed appointment. I just can't wait for the 7th to get here soon enough! If he doesn't do a pelvic exam after I tell him all the problems I've been having, I will switch OBs without hesitation. Is it normal for obstetricians to have their office completely closed on Fridays?

• I think it's common to have a day out of office. My Dr. is not in on Tues. My Dr. tries to schedule planned C-sections that day. They really have no time "Off" as they get called to the hospital at a moments notice. Can't blame them for taking a vacation. I was just glad my Dr's got rescheduled to not be the week I'm due. I do find Fri a little odd because it's hard to wait 3 days. Good luck! I hope everything works out for you.

• I know the feeling..... at my second appt with my OB ( who didn't remember us)  he explained that my protein was high and that i had toxemia and would need to be seen by a high risk OB in order to not risk the complications and to go on bed rest.  He then told me that I need to be referred and told me to call to locate a new Dr....!!! Isn't a referral for a sick and possibly dying patient the Dr's job????  It took 1 1/2 weeks for the new Kaiser to recieve the referral which was blank..... Once Kaiser San Diego got the actual referral I was seen in two days and declared perfectly healthy and cleared to go back to work after 2 weeks of bed rest!!!  I even received a phone call from my actual dr as I complained about his poor professional attitude.  Too late to call and inquire as to whether or not I got an appt on my own.Thank God for my new Dr!!!
  • I think going to an OB that has several in the practice is the best option.  My dr. for my yearly visit was just a GYN, so I had to start from scratch. The first dr. that i had the hard time with was the only one in her practice where as now I am in a practice where there is several OBs. While I was assigned to one, I can expect to see various dr.'s during my visits to so I can be more familiar with others OB in the practice. What makes this great is somebody is always available and i dont have to worry about vacations or dr.'s being sick etc.

imageimageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker

Anniversary
  • CryingGood for you!  I had a similar experience. I went in for an appt on May 24th and was told that not only would I not be getting an ultrasound at 8-9 weeks, but also that I wouldn't be seen again until July! Surprise If the normal schedule is to be seen every 4 weeks that would be skipping an appointment.  So, I didn't realize this until I was home and had read through their packet that said I would be seen at 8-9 weeks for (2) 45 minute appts., one of which was for an ultrasound.  (I was seen on May 24th at 6 weeks 5 days.) 

One of the issues I think is that the OB visits are billed as a "global fee".  I say this because the new OB patient packet noted that the global fee included 2 ultrasounds.  So, again, if my insurance is being charged for it, I expect to get it! Zip it!  Needless to say, the reason I was given for them not wanting to do it is my insurance doesn't pay for additional ultrasounds and I'd already had 2 at my reproductive endocrinologist appts. Surprise Really, because I called Fed BCBS and they said ultrasounds had no frequency limits under my policy coverage.  Doctors' office:  Zip it!

They then tried to say that the work my RE did (although we didn't use fertility treatments they were nice enough to do ultrasounds for me...we had a "spontaneous pregnancy" b4 needing the treatments) meant I wasn't entitled to the ultrasound, EVER, at their practice.  Really?  So now you're charging for work done by someone else?  (RE did an ultrasound at 5 weeks 1 day and 6 weeks 1 day and Fed BCBS covered them both at 100%.) Mind you, I told them I needed to see an OB doctor, not a midwife bc I had previous abdominal surgery due to fibroids and my surgeon said I had to have a C-section due to the surgery.  The midwife with whom I had the appt (they still scheduled me with a midwife, although I said I need to deliver with a doctor) says, "Well, we'll see".  Um, excuse me, WHAT?  She also says that, contrary to what my surgeon, RE and prior GYN said, I wouldn't deliver at 37 weeks bc that would = a preemie baby and they don't do that. Really?  Well, let's just wait until I go into labor so my uterus can rupture which could be fatal for me and my baby. Crying  Also, they can't find any of the post-operative notes or ultrasound reports...20+ pages of stuff...I faxed to them prior to my appt...stuff they requested.  They don't have the fax from my RE either and didn't seem concerned. Indifferent And don't get me wrong, I have no problem with midwives, I just need a doctor due to my prior surgery.

So I call and miss a callback with the midwife, who says to call her back directly.  I do, and get vmail.  So then the patient coordinator calls me back and ARGUES with me about why I don't need to be seen until July.  She then "compromises" and gives me an appt for June 14th for 10 mins...guess I'm still not getting those (2) 45 minute appts at 8-9 weeks, even though I'm high risk due to the surgery and my age.

To end this LONG story, I immediately called another practice and made an appt. for June 3rd. (I did this on May 24th.)  I had the appt today with a doctor.  She said I would be seen every four weeks up until 28 weeks.  and then I be seen twice weekly and once a week the last month.   I have my 12 week 2nd appt on July 2nd.  They also took blood (6 vials) in the office, which is much more convenient that going to a lab.  I was told I do not need a glucose test, contrary to what the midwife instructed...the only thing they seemed willing to do via their affiliated lab.  I was also given a referral to a radiology lab for a transvaginal/pelvic ultrasound for dating and viability purposes and I have an appt this coming Wednesday.Wink  I also plan on doing the nuchal ultrasound and the anatomy ultrasound, for which I also received referrals and scripts. (I don't need referrals with my insurance, but I still need the scripts.)  The good thing also about this practice is they are affiliiated with my primary care doc and have access to all of my medical history.  I also brought my surgery records with me and they scanned them right into the computer.

I don't know what that other practice's issue were, but I didn't wait around to find out.  I left them a vmail cancelling my June 14th appt with them and letting them know I found another practice...left a vmail bc they don't answer their phones...it sends you to vmail after waiting an eternity on hold to make or cancel an appt.!

The way I see it, it's my body, my baby and my hard earned and paid for insurance, so I expect the best care available!

Good luck everyone! H&H pregnancy and delivery! Big Smile

• I did the same thing and I did it later in the game.  I was about 4 months or maybe even 5 months along.  DH and I just weren't getting the warm and fuzzies from my DR and she just wasn't a good fit for me.  I was high risk and didn't feel like that was being taken as seriously as it should have been. 

I looked around and ended up using another Dr in the same practice.  It was a large practice.  They were totally different and she worked out great for me.  This Dr wasn't great after she was born though.  Ironically, another Dr from the practice ended up delivering and we loved her even more! She is now my permanent OB/GYN.  See how your Dr feels about BF too if you plan to do it because some women have issues and your OB can help, but only if they "want" to. 

GL! Can't wait to see your U/S pics!

• So glad to read all these posts!  I'm 20 weeks and have had 4 dr. appt.  I switched doctors after my first appointment, to a doctor in the same practice.  After 3 appointments with her, I'm still uneasy and feel angry everytime I leave her office. 

Prior to my pregnancy I was seeing an OB that I adore, however, I thought that with me being pregnant I would try the doctors close to my home and office attached to the hospital I will be delivering at.  So here I am continplating if its to late to switch now.  But I really can't stand the doctor I'm at.  I think the stress is bad for baby too!  My other problem is when I first went to this OB office, it was a pain in the a**  to get all my records switched and caused such a headach!  I'm afraid if I switch again, it will take months for all my records to be transfered! 

I actually have a doctor appointment this afternoon.  If I leave the doctors office upset, thats it I decided!  My body, my baby, and my insurance.  Thanks for everyone elses breakup stories!

• I had my 1st appt at 6 weeks with Nurse, for bloods.  8wk u/s with OB & am having a 12 wk scan on 11/12 for more testing (I prefer not to jump into an Amnio if I don't have to - & I am a YOUNG 41 :)  I guess my point is, YOU have to do what makes you feel most comfortable.  I'm not sure if I like or dislike my OB just yet. My 1st appt with her was simple & straight forward no "hand holding" which I actually liked.  But I do like that she is also a perinatologist -- just in case, ya know!

Good Luck :) 

• imageSweetPea625:

I had my 1st appt at 6 weeks with Nurse, for bloods.  8wk u/s with OB & am having a 12 wk scan on 11/12 for more testing (I prefer not to jump into an Amnio if I don't have to - & I am a YOUNG 41 :)  I guess my point is, YOU have to do what makes you feel most comfortable.  I'm not sure if I like or dislike my OB just yet. My 1st appt with her was simple & straight forward no "hand holding" which I actually liked.  But I do like that she is also a perinatologist -- just in case, ya know!

Good Luck :) 

Dude. This post is from june. Why the heck did you bump it 4 months later!?
    photo newsig2_zps17ef14af.jpg
  • This thread was featured on the main page, which they often do as well as in emails. Why do people get so concerned about dates? It's nice to see older posts that still have pertinent information in them.
  • WOW!!! after reading these i really really want to break up with my OB. This is my second pregnancy, though it is my second i had my DS 3 years ago, and at a different clinic. When i had my DS i was in the military and i had the option to go to a military facility for free or to go to a civilian Dr and pay out of pocket. I didnt make that much back then so i didn't really have a choice. When i finally met my OB at 13wks it was a midwife, and at first i was a little worried because I was only 19 and had never heard of a midwife. She ended up being a GREAT midwife, i could call with any problems i had, during my appts, we talked about the stress of home life and work and how to handle it better, even after i had my DS i still called her with my problems. Then sadly one day i called with a question and she told me that the next day she'd be leaving to clinic. 

SO now! i'm out of the military and now a Navy wife, with the same options as before. We do make a considerable amount more money so we have to option of going to a civilian, but we decided to stay with the mil because we are transferring to GUAM soon.

We called the appointment line and told them that we would be leaving for Guam within a month or so and that we wanted an appt to make sure everything is ok with the baby before we take a 20 hr plane ride across the water and leave all my family behind. They could only get me in to one facility, which was totally fine because the place is minutes down the street from where we live. So we get there and the woman behind the desk hands me a folder and tells me to go to the conference room at the end of the hall. ???... So we walk in and there are 15 other women there and i realize that its a CLASS!!!! They scheduled an appt for a class!!?!?!? i was sooo mad! so i asked the nurse teaching the class when would we be seeing an OB and she said that hey dont see anyone before 10wks unless they are at high risk of MC. SO i have to re-explain that we MIGHT not be in the country that day and she said that was the best they could do!!!

LUCKILY! we happened to get an extension of time left here in the states, and we made the appt. But when we get in the room, the nurse explains what will happen with the Dr. when the Dr. comes in she brings a student in with her, explains that HE is a student and will be observing the appt with her. Didnt ASK me or my husband if we were ok with that! Which i wasnt, but i am not one to stir up trouble so i didn't say anything. (i wish i would have though) So after the extensive questioning of my medical history, which was the point of the 2 HOUR CLASS I had to take 2 weeks before, she did the breast and pelvic exam, then the U/S. Ok like i said this is my second pregnancy so i don't remember everything from before, but as soon as she found out i had a 3 yr old at home she just assumed i knew everything. So when she did the U/S she didnt tell us anything about the baby other than here is the heart and you were right about your due date. (I forgot to mention this is my husbands first) So when my husband had questions for me all i could say was i dont remember and i was soooo mad that she didnt explain anything to us! But the whole first part of the appointment she treated me like i was dumb. 

So now i dont know what to do because i think that we might get another extension of time or they might cancel our orders to Guam all together and i didnt make a second appt with her number one because she was so rude and not helpful but also because i figured we wouldnt be here. and if we arent here and we do leave on time, i'll be almost 20 wks before my next appt with an ob because of moving and getting settled in and getting a appt set up and everything that has to be done 

I'm really sorry for the Super LONG post.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"