Breastfeeding
Options

Please Help! Not sleeping without me or the boob...10 mos old

Hi All!

I haven't had time to be on here in forever, but I need advice. My daughter is almost 10 months old and she has been waking up at night a ton. We co-sleep and I breastfeed. It hasn't been a big deal to feed her and she does go right back to sleep but lately (past month or 2) has been waking up every hour in need of the boob. She isn't eating but just using me as a paci.I have taken her to the doctor to make sure there wasn't anything wrong also. I do nurse her to sleep  and also for naps but she can fall asleep without the boob too,,,like on my husbands chest or what not. I would like to have her sleep at some point in her crib but she won't have it at all. I used to be able to put her in the crib for naps but now any time I try she wakes up instantly. Even if I get out of bed in the middle of the night she senses I'm not there and wakes up. Any advice? I wouldn't mind sleeping with her but I need sleep too. waking up so much and sometimes I can't fall back to sleep. Sorry this is so long. ANY advice would be appreciated. I would like to avoid doing cry it out though.

Re: Please Help! Not sleeping without me or the boob...10 mos old

• Options
    we went through this also it started during a growth spurt and didn't stop for a couple of months.  The only thing that wprked was I finally broke down and let her cry for 5 min then I would go in and reassure her and do the shush pat until she fell asleep.  She sleeps so much better now (and so do I).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageKendra(hearts)Ryan:
    I would like to avoid doing cry it out though.

That was my advice.  So sorry you're going through this.  Our sleep troubles were only solved once we let him cry.  He picked it up really fast - just one night.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Sorry you are going through this.  We do the same thing...every night.  DS is quite a bit older, so we've been offering a sippy cup of water before offering the breast.  Sometimes that works and he'll go back to sleep on his own, but it's not even close to 100%. 

Have you tried offering a paci?  We never ued one, and sometimes I wonder if that might have earned me some sleep.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We co-slept with my son too, and he would go through phases with the night-time nursing.  Sometimes he would sleep great and only wake up once or twice, and others it was every hour.  Advice #1, stop looking at the clock.  It only frustrates you to see how long it's been since the last wake up, and to see how long you have left to sleep.  Second, check for teeth.  If you're not sure, try giving some Hylands teething tablets (herbal remedy) before bed and see if that helps.  If it doesn't, likely not teeth.  It could be growth, either physical or developmental.  My son's restlessness very often coincided with an upcoming milestone, which can last for weeks, but resolves once the milestone is mastered.  You also said that she can fall asleep with daddy, so maybe trying to let him tend to her when she wakes up would be a good idea.  Just know that it will pass.  My now 27 month old son was very similar in behaviors, and now isn't a great sleeper, but enough that I'm satisfied.  Falls alseep without boo-boo, sleeps in a big boy bed for naps and most of the night. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"