Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

When to start Birth Control?

So i've got it in hand - but have no idea when I'm supposed to start it?  Usually it's the first Sunday after your period ends, but I haven't gotten my period back since DD was born.

Anyone know?  

Re: When to start Birth Control?

• Options
    My OB told me to take it the first Sunday after my period had started.  I got my period last Thursday so on Sunday I started my pack.
  • Options

First Sunday after your period starts.

However when I was talking about the pill with my OB she told me that I could start taking it right away regardless if it was the first Sunday after my period started. I decided not to do that because she said it would take a couple of months for my period to be regular and I didnt want to have to deal with that, so I just started it the regular way everyone else seems to be starting it!
    BabyName Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagejnthurston:

First Sunday after your period starts.

However when I was talking about the pill with my OB she told me that I could start taking it right away regardless if it was the first Sunday after my period started. I decided not to do that because she said it would take a couple of months for my period to be regular and I didnt want to have to deal with that, so I just started it the regular way everyone else seems to be starting it!

I think they just tell us this so that it will be easier to start a new pack on a Sunday rather than in the middle of the week.

• Options

I suppose it would depend on if you are taking the mini pill or regular pills.I just got my mini pill yesterday and the NP told me to start taking it on this Sunday since I may not have a period for months still. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I went on BCP shortly after DD#2 turned 1 and before I got my period back.  My CNM told me I could start it right away even though I hadn't had a period yet. 

Are you on the mini-pill or regular BCP?  I know regular BCP aren't recommended when you're BF.  With the mini-pill, I was told it's very particular that you need to take it at the same time every day within an hour or two and couldn't miss any.  

• Options

I'm taking the mini pill.  And I worry about waiting until my period comes back as it could be a month or more and DH and I don't want to risk having Irish twins if we keep waiting for my period to return before starting birth control.

I guess I should start it this Sunday. Thanks for the info about taking it at the same time everyday  - that's certianly helpful!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"