Breastfeeding
Options

Medication to make more Breast Milk

Is there a medication I can take to get my breast milk to come in faster and more of it.  I need to feed my daughter every two hours she is 11 days old and she eats 10min a breast from me but can then also finish an ounce of formula at the same feeding.  She is not always this hungry every two hours but frequently.  I want to exclusiely breastfeed but she also needs to put on weight.  Help.  I have another dr appt Friday to check her weight gain.

Re: Medication to make more Breast Milk

• Options

You need to see a lactation consultant, the sooner the better.  She will evaluate your LOs latch and suck - it's possible you have enough milk but your LO just isn't good at getting it all.  If you don't have enough milk the LC will coach you on pumping to make more, and what herbs/supplements and possibly prescriptions you can take to make more.  Typically they prescribe Reglan which can have some serious side effects, or Domperidone which has less side effects, but you'll have to find a compounding pharmacy to make it.  Herbs/supplements are fenugreek/blessed thistle (a popular supplement is "more milk plus" from a company called Mother Love) , flax seed meal, and brewers yeast.  It is very important that you do this ASAP.  The first six weeks is when you are establishing your supply.  Supplementing during the first six weeks (wikthout doing anything else to increase your supply) can cause supply issues.  Obviously, your LO needs food, so keep giving your DD formula until you can fix your BFing problems. 

I wanted to add that at 11 days old eating every 2hrs is perfectly normal, she may even want to eat as often as every hour - also totally normal.  Finally, 10 min at each breast isn't very long.  Encourage her to stay on longer, so that you can make sure she gets enough of the fatty hind milk. 

• Options

You're feeding her too much when you give her formula. The bottle is a constant flow and that's why she eats it so quickly. Nursing allows her to realize when she's full.

DS nursed every 2 hours until he was FIVE MONTHS old. This is not always common, but it is out there. They eat A LOT especially at the beginning.

I'd bet $1mil that you have plenty of milk and your LO is just fine.

Like PP said. Call or go see a LC and talk to them. Your supply is too fragile right now to introduce any type of medication for milk.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagenoah-bear:

You're feeding her too much when you give her formula. The bottle is a constant flow and that's why she eats it so quickly. Nursing allows her to realize when she's full.

DS nursed every 2 hours until he was FIVE MONTHS old. This is not always common, but it is out there. They eat A LOT especially at the beginning.

I'd bet $1mil that you have plenty of milk and your LO is just fine.

Like PP said. Call or go see a LC and talk to them. Your supply is too fragile right now to introduce any type of medication for milk.

If you read the OP, sounds like perhaps LO lost weight and they are worried about her gaining? If the pedi told you to supplement, ask them bafore stopping supplementing.

~*~Meghann~*~ Type 1, insulin dependant diabetic for 11 years using a pump and sensor. wedding countdown Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageameslah:
    Is there a medication I can take to get my breast milk to come in faster and more of it.  I need to feed my daughter every two hours she is 11 days old and she eats 10min a breast from me but can then also finish an ounce of formula at the same feeding.  She is not always this hungry every two hours but frequently.  I want to exclusiely breastfeed but she also needs to put on weight.  Help.  I have another dr appt Friday to check her weight gain.

Is she coming off by herself after 10 min?  If not, you could probably stand to nurse longer on each breast.  I don't personally know of any 11 day old babies who could finish a breast in 10 minutes.  Most take 20 min or more per breast at that age.  However, don't worry so much about the clock and look for clues that your breast is empty (you can't hear swallowing when she sucks or she drops off of the breast on her own). 

Since the amount of milk that you make is based on supply and demand, you need to try not to supplement after feedings.  Instead, let her nurse as long and as often as she likes.  It would also be a good idea to have her weighed before and after a feeding to see how much she's getting.  Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"