3rd Trimester
Options

This is my first shower vent.

Hopefully my last! My shower was originally planned for Jan 17th. I will be 34ish weeks. I figure that I will still be able to tolerate the in-laws, plus that gives me time to finish the rest of our shopping. Well, my super sweet and totally well meaning MIL who is hosting the shower, forgot to send out any invitations over the holidays. Okay. So we push it to the next week, the 24th. 35ish weeks. Okay. Then we find out that my cousin in law is having her wedding reception that weekend too, and even though she has been married for about 3 months already, I'm not about to ask her to change that date. So then we push it back to the NEXT weekend. Now I'm a little freaked out because I will be 36 weeks along! I wanted to have everything ready by 36 weeks, not waiting and waiting to see what gifts we get! Now our options are to wait, or get the things we need ourselves, disregarding whatever gifts we may get, and have either duplicates or a ton of BRU credit. Well, shoot.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: This is my first shower vent.

• Options
    I'll be 36 weeks too. We can commiserate together :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I know what you mean. I had mine at 33 weeks because I was told i might not make it to full term. We shall see! I your pregnancy has been normal i would'nt get to worried.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    There is a pool on what comes first: the baby or the shower. I'll be 37.5 weeks Smile
  • Options
    imageErin0922:
    What's your plan? Are you just buying the things you need, or waiting?
  • Options

You should be fine for 36 weeks and I wouldn't get anything yet until after the shower. That means you'll have a month still (which I was very bored and seriously was Bumping all day/night) to finalize everything. On top of it, most LOs don't sleep in the nursery in the beginning giving you more time to prepare. We didn't think DS would ever cosleep and not that he does it often, but we still can't get him in his crib at night (he only sleeps when his head is elevated and sleeps longer when he's swinging away in his My Little Lamb).

If you really don't want to wait, you can get a good estimate of what you're going to get from your registry a week beforehand. Most of my things were brought, but we also had 70 people invited (we both have huge families and only did one shower). The bigger items were brought in the beginning though so I knew beforehand that things like my PnP which was never brought until my registry completion were going to be on us.

Proud Mama to Mickey (12.03.09) and Nemo (06.06.13)

• Options
    ugh!  that is frustrating...could you purchase some of the stuff that maybe you'd have to put together and then leave the rest that could be easily done in a day's shopping/putting away?  just so you don't feel so rushed...
  • Options

I had my shower with DS at 36 weeks. I thought it was cutting it close as well. Turns out that like no one bought us anything from the registry so we didn't need to worry about returning things or doubles.

Funny off topic story: I'm due the day after you and having a girl but our boy name was Simon as well :)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Mine is Sunday and some one luckily just bought the travel system with the car seat. We already got the crib n changing table from family. We r just going to wait. We still need BOTTLES and other esentials but I figured it would keep me from being so antsy in the last few weeks b.c I am already very anxious and ready to meet her! I cam then re- organize for the millionth time :)
  • Options

imagesleepingbeauty825:
    imageErin0922:
    What's your plan? Are you just buying the things you need, or waiting?

Waiting. And panicking. LOL 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageKaybee44:

I had my shower with DS at 36 weeks. I thought it was cutting it close as well. Turns out that like no one bought us anything from the registry so we didn't need to worry about returning things or doubles.

Funny off topic story: I'm due the day after you and having a girl but our boy name was Simon as well :)

Well, it's the best name ever! It's good to know it's not all that irregular. My doctor hasn't said anything to me, but I do worry that he will come early since both my hubby and I were born early (36 weeks!) and since I am planning on working until the end. We will just have to see though!
  • Options
    I'm having my last shower on feb 6th, I'll be almost 37 weeks! I think you should get the crib and changing table (anything that will take weeks to get to you) if you haven't already but other than that I'm waiting it out..
  • Options
    imagekdiaisfly:
    I'm having my last shower on feb 6th, I'll be almost 37 weeks! I think you should get the crib and changing table (anything that will take weeks to get to you) if you haven't already but other than that I'm waiting it out..
    Well, we already have the crib, dresser (which we will use to change him unless we happen to get the changing table), rocker, travel system... All the big stuff we've already gotten ourselves. I guess I'm concerned about the tons and tons of little stuff you need. (Who even knows if we'll get that stuff, though)
  • Options

imagesleepingbeauty825:
    imagekdiaisfly:
    Well, we already have the crib, dresser (which we will use to change him unless we happen to get the changing table), rocker, travel system... All the big stuff we've already gotten ourselves. I guess I'm concerned about the tons and tons of little stuff you need. (Who even knows if we'll get that stuff, though)

Yeah, I hate to tell you, but we got almost nothing we registered for...most people gave us clothes, blankets, more clothes, and more blankets.  And some diapers.  Just plan a big BRU shopping trip for the day after the shower to use all the gift cards and checks you will get.... 

• Options
    I'll be at 37.5 weeks when I have my shower as well, but my doctor feels I'll go well into the end of January so I've decided not to panic until after the shower. :-)
  • Options
    Even if your LO arrives unexpectedly, a quick trip to Target or Wal-mart or BRU or whatever should set you up for a while. . .DD came at 35 weeks and we literally had nothing except a few blankets my MIL had saved from when DH was a baby and a crib we had just bought, but not set up yet. . .DH and ILs did a lot of shopping while I was in the hospital and then DH and I picked up a few things after I got discharged. . .it was stressful, but it worked out.  You *need* surprisingly little.
  • Options
    I'll be 37 weeks at my shower. We have the crib, changing table/dresser combo, car seat, swing, glider...All the things that we'll need right away. Honestly, at the shower my sister threw me, we got a bunch of clothes and toys, nothing from our registry. Hopefully, that won't happen to you, but I do suggest getting all the essentials, which it seems like you've already done!
  • Options
    imagebabydragonsister:

imagesleepingbeauty825:
    imagekdiaisfly:

Yeah, I hate to tell you, but we got almost nothing we registered for...most people gave us clothes, blankets, more clothes, and more blankets.  And some diapers.  Just plan a big BRU shopping trip for the day after the shower to use all the gift cards and checks you will get.... 

This. I had my showers at 30 and 32 weeks and then we went and did a HUGE BRU shopping trip. If you're worried, start picking up some essentials now.

I think you'll be just fine and remember, you can order almost anything online. I know BRU often has free shipping on orders over a certain amount and an Amazon Prime membership is a beautiful thing!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"