3rd Trimester
Options

OB appointments and frequency

From everything I've read and from most of my friends (those who don't go to my OB), it sounds like OBs start every 2 week appointments at 27/28 weeks, then every 1 week at 36 weeks.  My OB doesn't start every 2 weeks until 34 weeks!  I'm eager to start going every 2 weeks, so I am thinking of just asking at my next appointment (Monday) if I can start going every 2.  Just wondering if anyone else's OB starts every 2 weeks late like mine.

Also, my OB has not started measuring fundal height yet, which seems odd as that seems like standard practice.  

I really like my OB office (there are 5 docs) and have been very happy with them.  I found out about them through recommendations from friends who've been very happy with them.  These two things just seem a bit odd to me.

Re: OB appointments and frequency

• Options
    My OB didn't start measuring fundal height until 33 weeks.
  • Options
    My fundal height wasn't until a little later as well. Also... so you will only have one 2 week appointment?? Id ask your doctors and clarify with them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I dont think it's standard to start 2 week appts at 27/28 weeks... that has been my experience and what I've also heard on The Bump.

Mine were every 2 weeks starting at 32 weeks - so 32, then 34, then 36. And it's been weekly since 36 weeks until delivery.

I believe my OB started measuring fundal height around 27/28 weeks...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Mine isn't starting my 2 week appts until the 34th week. He also hasn't started measuring yet. I'm not too worried about it.
  • Options
    i didnt get 2 weeks until the 32nd week, and my fundal height has been measured since the beginning
  • Options
    I was at least 28 wks when they began measuring fundal height. I live 2.5 hrs away from my OB (high risk and have to travel to state medical college), so I've been going about every 2 wks the entire pregnancy. Sometimes it's aggravating b/c it seems like a waste of time/money. I've recenlty bucked this and have began cancelling and moving appointments forward a week or two (partly because I don't have the money to be there all the dang time!). I have a primary care physician and an endocrinologist (diabetes doc), both of whom I see at least monthly and I email the endocrinologist every 3 days. So, I just postponned one this week and scheduled it for in two weeks. I'll be 33 wks then. I hope they don't want me to start going every week at that point!
  • Options
    I am not starting to go every 2 weeks until my 34 week appt. I am thrilled with that, because I don't see any need to go more frequently than that unless there are problems. All I did between 27-34 weeks is pee in a cup, take my blood pressure and have them measure me. I can't remember when he started measuring fundal height, maybe the last couple appointments.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Really, what is going more frequently going to do? All they do is the standard 5 minute appt- weight, BP, urine dip, listen for the heartbeat (and maybe a fundal measurement). I have spaced out my appts as much as I can throughout this preg b/c I think it's a pain in the butt to go.
  • Options
    DG1DG1 member

imageBrit1017:
    Really, what is going more frequently going to do? All they do is the standard 5 minute appt- weight, BP, urine dip, listen for the heartbeat (and maybe a fundal measurement). I have spaced out my appts as much as I can throughout this preg b/c I think it's a pain in the butt to go.

This.  I am just starting the 2w thing (34w then 36w). I am really hoping not to do every week after that - maybe just 38 and 39.  I like the reassurance that there's no protein in my urine, but they really don't *do* anything, you know?  If I started swelling up like a balloon, I'd call them and go in to get checked for pre-e, but otherwise, use your time for yourself. By the end, it feels like you live at that damned doctor's office (and then you have to go back for postpartum followup - two if you have a c/s).

• Options

The every 2 week appts and the fundal height measurement started for me at 28 weeks.

• Options
    I only had one two week appt, but we think it was a mix-up somehow.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

This is my first pregnancy, so I haven't done all these appointments before, but it seems to me that if an OB is scheduling you 2w appointments starting ar 27/28w, they are probably just trying to make easy money. Spend 5mins with the patient, make a hundred bucks.

Anyhoo, I'm 27w4d and they didn't mention scheduling an appt. every 2w. And I have had my fundal height checked twice before, this visit and the last one, about a month ago.

• Options
    My OB doesn't measure fundal height at all. And I just started visits every 2 weeks. But that was partially due to complications in the begining that meant I was in almost every two weeks for most of 2nd tri.
    ~Kati~ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"