Orange County Babies
Options

External version?

Anyone had one of these? Our girl is breech and our OB offered the procedure. I've heard it's rather painful, but I'm more concerned about complications following the procedure. We went ahead and scheduled the C-section (August 3rd -- woot!), but we're keeping this as a possibility in the next few days.

Thanks in advance for the help! :)

Re: External version?

• Options

I have heard it is painful. I know girls on the 3rd tri board have gone to chiropractors. There are some websites of exercises to do as well.

Good luck!

• Options

Check https://www.spinningbabies.com/ & look for chiropractors who will do the Webster method: https://www.americanpregnancy.org/labornbirth/breechpresentation.html "The late Larry Webster, D.C., of the International Chiropractic Pediatric Association, developed a technique which enabled chiropractors to release stress on the pregnant woman's pelvis and cause relaxation to the uterus and surrounding ligaments. The relaxed uterus would make it easier for a breech baby to turn naturally. The technique is known as the Webster Breech Technique.

The Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics reported in the July/August 2002 issue that 82% of doctors using the Webster Technique reported success. Further, the results from the study suggest that it may be beneficial to perform the Webster Technique in the 8th month of pregnancy."

Socializing foster puppies since 2009
    image image
    Chart for TTC#2
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I flipped DD on my own at 36 weeks.  Go swimming and do flips underwater (very hard when you are 36 weeks but possible!) and start playing music at the top of your tummy, then move it down very low.  I did that after the flips and watched her move, Alien-style, to head-down.  Make sure to do lots of kick counts in the next couple days if it works.  Good Luck!
  • Options
    Sadly, I've already visited a chiropractor for the Webster method, and I'm not a candidate! I've been swimming in the pool, but I haven't tried the flipping thing. One Web site suggested doing handstands across the pool, so maybe I'll try that, too. Besides, I'm sure my hubby would find it hysterical to watch me attempt it! Big Smile
  • Options

Hey Lori,

My doctor offered the external version, but at the same time, she strongly advised against it, saying that it was successful less than 50% of the time, very painful, could lead to a complication that would require immediate delivery, and that even it was succesful, DD might turn back to the breech position before delivery.  Obviously, with her saying all that, I decided against it.

• Options

My baby was also breached and I did try the external version. I was told by the nurses at the hospital that I was the first patient that they can remember in the last year that didn't scream out in agony during this procedure. My husband who stood by and watched was really concerned. And I have a high pain threshold. My Dr. and her assistant tried their best to move LO. He would move half way, his heart rate will race up, and then the doctor let go and he would move back to his original position. My doctor said it was getting risky for my baby so we stopped after 15 minutes. Yes, it is very painful, but I would do it again if only to try. Having a scheduled c-section was ok, but the recovery wasn't so great. If the external version had worked, it would have been worth it. Smile

Good luck!

I did the above @ Hoag Hospital with Dr. Strachan who is awesome!

• Options

Thanks for the information! Though I'm a bit bummed about having to do the c-section, all the nurses in Fetal Diagnostics were apprehensive about the procedure. Plus, after I told my OB we decided against it, he seemed relieved. He said he had to offer it, but most experiences were not pleasant. I wasn't sure if he would perform it or another doctor, but regardless, the negatives outweighed the positives.

Incidentally, the stinker kept me in L&D for five hours last night after her first five minutes on the monitor in Fetal Testing had her heartrate up above 200. Of course, as soon as I settled into the FT chair, it dropped, but that didn't stop the hospital from keeping me there "for observation." After I got into L&D, she had perfect contraction responses -- absolutely textbook.

Maybe it's a good thing we didn't do the external version ... <SIGH>

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"