Breastfeeding
Options

Human Pacifier...HELP!

My LO is 11 weeks and I'm BF every 2 hours. ?He nurses for 30-40 min and after he's done he's content for about an hour and then becomes fussy, cries and arches his back. ?I know he's not hungry, but tired. ?Before I could sooth him with a paci and he would fall a sleep. ?Now he won't take the paci and wants me to nurse him to sleep. ?I don't want to get into a bad habit and it's tiring for me. ?Any suggestions? ??

Re: Human Pacifier...HELP!

• Options
    I had the same problem when I was in the hospital, the nurses suggested that he was not full, that might explain why he becomes fussy and wants to eat every 2 hours. The nurses said that I should extend the nursing sessions by 5 or ten mins, this helped us. My lo also tries to use me as a pacifer but instead I swaddle him and hold him in my arms and he is content with that.
  • Options
    Arching of his back might be gas or reflux.  You might want to check with the pedi to see if that is the problem.  My dd had acid reflux (although she never actually spit up) and wanted to eat constantly because it made her feel better at the time...but then she was ultra full and was so uncomfortable afterwards which made the reflux worse (lots of arching of the back).  We let her sleep on an inclined wedge and had to end up on Prevacid for about 4 months.  If weight gain is good and wet diapers are right on, it might be something worth looking into.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Do you nurse on both sides each time?  If so, make sure to keep him on the first side as long as possible so he gets the hindmilk, which will keep him fuller and should make him sleepier.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"