Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

another sleep question, for those who have tried CIO . . .

sleep deprivation is making my brain mush, so forgive me for asking,

if we wanted to reduce night wakings in a 4mo by letting him cry, how do we do it at night?  i want to let him eat every 4h, instead of the every 1-2 hours that he wakes up, but last night we ignored him, and he just cried for 2 hours until his next "allowed" feed time.  i feel like i'm just teaching him to cry for 2 hours. 

ready to give up and quit work until the 4 month wakeful is over . . .

advice?

Re: another sleep question, for those who have tried CIO . . .

• Options
    I haven't done this, but I've read a lot. DD has been a really night good sleeper so far. Fingers crossed that it stays this way. (crappy naps though). But instead of making him wait 2 hours, can you reduce the ounces? Or minutes you feed if you BF. That is what Ferber recommends.
  • Options
    Can you feed dc more often during the day? Or more oz. It might help to have him go to sleep for the night more full then empty. The 4 mo wakeful is still going on here too, but even though I complain he still is going 8 hours usually between feedings at night... (used to be 12) but he eats between 32-40oz during the day.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

wow. that is a lot of waking but letting him cry for 2 hours is usually not the way to do it. Was he waking this much always or is it the 4 month wakeful?  I think educating by reading a book is a good idea. my first question is why do you still want him to eat every 4 hours? Unless he is underweight that is really too much food in my opinion at this age.

As for the second thing you said- you are not teaching him to cry for 2 hours. For those that do a cold turkey approach like you, tonight should be much shorter and then night after shorter, etc etc.

Usually...they recommend a gradual approach. Let them cry, go check after 5 minutes, pat pack, leave for 10 minutes, pat pack, leave for 15, etc etc until they stop. That way, they know you are there but that the crying isn't going to give them the result they want adn it isn't worth it after a while.

Go buy a book about sleep training or read on-line.

BTW- a lot of people are going to flame you for letting him cry for 2 hours but sounds like you are at the end of your rope.

• Options
    We just let our DD cry and didn't go in her room or anything.  She didn't cry for 2 hours though. The longest we have had to let her cry is 1 hour and she fell back asleep.  I may have let it go on but I don't know.  DD was waking every 2 hours and the first night of CIO she fell asleep after 20-30 min of crying on two occassions and that was it, she's been sleeping better since.
  • Options

Visiting from another board... your DC is probably going through a growth spurt right now hence the 2 hour intervals. I recommend what the other PP said, focus on getting the calories in during the day. At 4 mo I wouldn't let a baby cry for 2 hours. DD is probably either wet or hungry. I tried CIO at 4.5 mo and it was a disaster because DC cried for an hour (I finally went in). We tried it again at 5.5 months and it was a total success.

• Options
    What you are teaching him is if he cries no one is going to come and soothe him......  Are you FF or BF?  How many ounces is he eating in a day?  He may need more.  When is his last bottle before bed?  DD gets a bottle to "top her off" before going down for the night.  Can you and your SO switch off feeding so you both are getting a little more shut eye?
  • Options
    Honestly, I would just feed him if he is going through the 4 month wakeful.  Usually, when babies go through this it's because they aren't getting enough to eat during the day and are truely hungry at night.  (I could be wrong, I don't have enough background info on your situation tho!)  But when my DD went through this she went from nursing once per night to 2 or 3 times.  I fed her each time she woke up, she went right back to sleep and it was over in about a week.  (I was lucky though)
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I myself just ordered the book Healthy Sleep Habits, Healthy Children - maybe you should check it out. There's no way I could let my LO cry for 2 hours straight without going in and loving on her. I let my dd cry for 10 minutes when she first wakes up, then I go in and love on her. If she keeps it up I nurse her and ususally she falls right back asleep.
    Hoping this book I read will help out.
  • Options

imageKaren_77:
    What you are teaching him is if he cries no one is going to come and soothe him......  Are you FF or BF?  How many ounces is he eating in a day?  He may need more.  When is his last bottle before bed?  DD gets a bottle to "top her off" before going down for the night.  Can you and your SO switch off feeding so you both are getting a little more shut eye?

Ditto this. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"