Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

General Fussiness at 3 weeks? Gas/Formula?

So, on Sunday it was like a switch flipped and all of a suddent turned Abby into a very fussy baby.  I called the Dr. and he said that this was normal between 3 and 6 weeks because of the gastrointestinal system doing some more growing, etc.

He also said that Mylicon drops were unecessary because it would correct itself, but my child seems so miserable.

I used the drops last night anyway, and it seemed to help, but she is still increibly fussy.

I am also wondering if it has to do with switching from Enfamil with Lipil to the genereric brand, which was around the same time.  Again, the doctor said no, but I am looking for first hand exerience.

Thanks for any advice!

Re: General Fussiness at 3 weeks? Gas/Formula?

• Options
    imageMrsStPatsBride:

So, on Sunday it was like a switch flipped and all of a suddent turned Abby into a very fussy baby.  I called the Dr. and he said that this was normal between 3 and 6 weeks because of the gastrointestinal system doing some more growing, etc.

He also said that Mylicon drops were unecessary because it would correct itself, but my child seems so miserable.

I used the drops last night anyway, and it seemed to help, but she is still increibly fussy.

I am so glad to see you post this. Our girl has been so fussy the last 2 weeks or so and I just feel so helpless. I feel like everything I do is wrong. Today was especially bad for me as I sat here and shed many tears with her. I think she might also be going through a growth spurt which is contributing to her fussiness. I just keep waking up every day hoping that it will be different!

• Options

have you tried swaddling?  my DS responds very well to a tight swaddle when he is freaking out (which he does, quite often lol).  also, gripe water has seemingly worked wonders for us, as have gas drops.  we also take him for car rides when he is especially fussy and that seems to help.  the paci is another invaluable tool, as is the baby crack machine with white noise. 

also, around 2.5 weeks my DS went through a growth spurt and he was unhappy unless he was eating.

those are just some ideas from the short time i've been mothering a somewhat colicky little boy.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I could have written this word for word!  Literally my happy baby became miserable any time he was awake.  My DS was the same way and I was hoping for a content one this time but alas he's following in his big brother's footsteps.  With DS #1 we used Gentlease and I don't think it made a difference.  We're on regular similac now and I'm debating going to sensitive, but he doesn't spit up.  I agree with pp as I type this DS is swaddling lying in a vibrating bouncy with the noise machine on - and he's sleeping!  I feel like this went on for awhile with DS #1 and I'm hoping I'm remembering wrong!  OH this time I tried gripe water and I swear it makes somewhat of a difference.
  • Options
    from my experience, i'm agreeing w/ your pedi.  DD was VERY fussy her first 6-7 wks of life.  we tried EVERYTHING and nothing helped.  one day out of the blue at around 6.5 wks, she didn't cry.  DH and i looked at each other in such surprise.  we tried everything regarding formula, my diet (i BFed), mylicon, gripe water, etc.  have you read Happiest Baby on the Block?  that helped us a lot.  good luck and there is light at the end of the tunnel.  promise!
  • Options
    That happened to DS too. ?I just got Colic Calm after trying gas drops, gripe water, gas drops and gripe water, warm baths, bicycle legs, holding his sideways against me and rubbing his back and then swapping sides (this actually worked really well for us) etc etc. ?Those others helped a little, but DS would cry all day and scream in his sleep from the gas. ?He was so uncomfortable. ?But after using Colic Calm for a day, he has so much less gas and he's hardly fussy. ?He still fusses and cries and has gas, but it's a ton better and he actually goes to sleep. ?It's like a miracle.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My son is the same. Suddenly about 2-3 days ago, he just cries and wants to be held all the time (even though holding sometimes doesn't help at all). I do notice an increase in gas and how it relates to him being fussy. I mostly breastfeed so I don't think formula has much to do with it. Some babies just cry. At least we know they have good lungs :)
  • Options
    This happened to DD, I noticed her spitting up more and getting upset during feedings.  We got her some Zantac for reflux and things have been better since.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"