3rd Trimester
Options

"dimple dilated"

Ugh, I shouldn't have even looked it up.  All those contractions last night because of a cop and feel at a dimple dilated cervix that's obviously located somewhere in my throat...

A dimple or fingertip is a description we give for cervix's that are barely dilated but still thick or not effaced yet. You basically get 3 numbers when you are checking the cervix- the dilation, the effacement, and the station. The dilation can range from 0 or closed to 10 cm or complete. The effacement is the percentage that you hear or thickness from thick to 100% effaced or thinned out. The station starts negative or high and gets positive until crowning and delivery. Usually when we check someone who is a dimple or a fingertip the description would be dimple, thick and high, meaning the cervix is just opening a bit but is still thick and the baby's head is high. When you are in labor your cervix is likely to efface or thin out as you dilate and the description will change to something like 2cm dilated, 50% effaced and -2 station. This description would mean that the cervix is opening to 2cm (almost 2 fingerwidths), 50% thinned out and the baby's head has engaged into the pelvis to -2 station. Then as you progress further the cervix is likely to be completely thinned out or 100% effaced when you are in active labor or between 4-5 cm and the head will moved down as well.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Keegan Patrick - Bilateral Clubfeet found at Anatomy Scan. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker www.facebook.com/portraitave

Re: "dimple dilated"

• Options
    Why do you like to torture yourself???
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageCassandra1028:
    Why do you like to torture yourself???

The useless contractions and 5 flights of stairs kind of set the tone for the day...

Keegan Patrick - Bilateral Clubfeet found at Anatomy Scan. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker www.facebook.com/portraitave

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    wait, at my practice they used both terms fingertip and 1cm interchangably, and that is where i was last time they checked... and i am 50% effaced. are you sure youre not effaced at all? i had to ask them... they did not tell me without me asking. Also... remember that contractions ARE progress. That's the only way youre going to get more dialated. every time i have a bad cramp im grateful b/c im hoping it means im getting a bit closer. you should ask them to strip your membranes next time. they said that got my cervix to soften up more and it gave me some "productive" contax.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Hmm, I didn't ask because I figured he'd tell me.  I feel like maybe those couple of intense painful contractions might have done something but the rest aren't anything to write home about so I figured they weren't doing anything.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"