Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

can 7 week old have a schedule??

can a 7 week old have a schedule?? it seems like she sleeps when she wants to and when she is tired at 5 p.m. there is no way to wake her up and when she wants to be awake at 3 a.m. there's no way to make her sleep. i want her to be on a schedule but i feel like i have no control over it

Re: can 7 week old have a schedule??

• Options
    Um, no.  A 7 week old cannot have a schedule.  Just roll with it.  Seriously.
  • Options
    mud
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You'll drive yourself crazy. I'd just go with her schedule for now. It will start to work itself out as she gets older.
  • Options
    i wish i would have known that sooner bc i do drive myself crazy with it
  • Options

Why is this mud? I don't think it's an odd question. A lot of people put their babies on feeding schedules (I know a lot of moms who put their children on the 3-6-9-12 feeding schedule from birth).

You can certainly start a routine with your lo - a nighttime routine of book, bath, bottle, bed. I started ds at about 2 months - which is where you are coming up to now. During the day, he sleeps when he sleeps, but now he is so used to our nighttime routine that around 7/7:30 he starts rubbing his eyes telling us he's ready for his bath and bottle!

• Options

I don't think it's mud. It's a valid question.

I have DD on a bedtime routine but she doesn't have a schedule. She pretty much eats/sleeps as she wishes during the day, but her nights are pretty consistent.

• Options

my 6 week old is on a shedule.  i didn't put her on one, it just kinda naturally happened.  our feeding schedule is- 4 am, 7 am, 10:30 am, 2 pm, 5 pm, 8 pm, 11 pm.  she sleeps straight through at night from around midnight to 4 am.  her daytime sleep varies but she is usually more alert after the 7 am feeding and around the 2 pm feeding as well as after the 8 pm feeding.  if you keep things routine in your house then she will naturally create her own schedule, it just may not be one you want.

• Options
     routine does not = schedule IMO. Not trying to be snarky at all but I wouldn't try to schedule my seven week old. Matter of opinion. Carry on.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

i think so, depending on what you mean by schedule. routine is a better word for it, IMO. i know a lot of people disagree, but a few concepts from babywise saved us. for the first two months, i fed DS whenever he was hungry, which naturally worked out to be every three hours or so. however, the times bestween feedings were totally unstructured. after reading the book, the one thing i started trying was the eat-awake-sleep part. within two days DS was taking great naps and within a week he was sleeping for more than 3 hours at a time at night. he was STTN by 12 weeks old. obviously there have been breaks in the pattern when he's gone through a growth spurt, or traveling messes him up. you just adjust and follow their cues. but, i do believe you can help by establishing routines (or maybe it's a schedule) that is flexible. 

DS has always eaten more often than the books suggest, however, the routine i've mentioned worked out great for us. i wish i had known about it earlier. as a new parent, i felt like having some type of plan was helpful.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"