July 2012 Moms

GTKY= $$$

Whats your fav money saving tip?

Re: GTKY= $$$

• If your receipt has a survey on it, take it! I've gotten so many free things from taking surveys that take at 5 minutes. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • KarmBKarmB
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Second Anniversary

image Manda+Chase:
    If your receipt has a survey on it, take it! I've gotten so many free things from taking surveys that take at 5 minutes. 

oh really? i always laugh knowing  wont win anythng 

mine is eating out. dont do it. pack a lunch. 

• Don't give exact change.  When you get change, put it in a container.  Once a year count that money up and do something FUN with it.  For us it's our vacation fun money.  We also add bottle returns/garage sale money to this container. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Don't buy tons of shiiiit you don't need.  
  • image mrsj0423:
    Don't buy tons of shiiiit you don't need.  

nail meet head.  haha.  You are so right!  

• Grocery shop for what you will use each week.  Make a menu for the week and stick with it.  We buy some things in bulk that we can freeze or know for sure we will use over time, but we don't buy things extra that are going to spoil and end up being thrown away.

July 2012 Mom to "Zeke," who has been smiling non-stop
    since arriving 10 days late on August 7, 2012.

April 2014 Mom to "Eli" who arrived via scheduled C-section
    on March 31, 2014.
  • elizdgelizdg
    250 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Love Its Second Anniversary

image mrsj0423:
      Don't buy tons of shiiiit you don't need.  

haha, yes ma'am!

I guess for us it has been to not use credit cards. We don't have any, so if we can't afford to buy something, we just don't. Pretty simple. 

ETA not saying that it's completely horrible to use credit cards, I think they are fine as long as you're paying them off.

2. We do the 52 week challenge... 1 dollar the first, 2 the second... 33 the 33rd etc. All the way to 52. We also save our coins at the end of each day. DH is a bartender so L gets all his tip coins every night.
      imageimage

3. image LaBe44a:
      Grocery shop for what you will use each week.  Make a menu for the week and stick with it.  We buy some things in bulk that we can freeze or know for sure we will use over time, but we don't buy things extra that are going to spoil and end up being thrown away.

That's my way of shopping too... I also buy my staples from Costco. I save change but I put it in FK's rainbow shaped bank. We call it the "Rainbow Car Fund". It already has a good amount in it. I'm going to open her own account soon. We use coupons too. Not as much or efficiently as I'd like but we do use them. I need to hang with Stokedwifey so she can school me in her ways of couponing. 

4. Don't eat out or buy your coffee at a coffee shop.  Food be 'spensive when you're out!
      imageimageimage
      photo rainbows_zpsb95a8e2b.jpgimageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
      Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
      **Its a Dragon Baby!**
      Cycle 15 Oct '11: 150iu Follistim + trigger + IUI + booster= BFP!!!

Beta #1 (15 DPIUI)-1249. Beta #2 (18 DPIUI)-3146. Beta #3 (22 DPIUI)- 11,039
      C-section birth, 7.18.2012

5. Pack a lunch for the office!  A lot of the people I work with eat out every day, don't know how they can stand to spend all that money.
    6. KarmBKarmB
      5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Second Anniversary

image Jessie11LU:
      Buy meat at a local butcher shop in bulk. I got various cuts of meat, 25lbs, for 75.

hmmmm i never thought about that, i always assume theyre more expensive. ill go check ours out. 

7. image KarmB:

image Manda+Chase:
      If your receipt has a survey on it, take it! I've gotten so many free things from taking surveys that take at 5 minutes. 

oh really? i always laugh knowing  wont win anythng 

mine is eating out. dont do it. pack a lunch. 

It doesn't always work, but hey, it's 5 minutes. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
    8. Don't send me to the store.  I always go off the list and buy contraband!
      Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    9. Don't go to target. Instead go to Walmart because you cannot stand to be there long. ;)

I agree with the credit cards thing.  Avoid them.  

Hit happy hours for meals out. 

My little buttercup has the sweetest smile.OMFG I cannot get a signature to work. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    10. image Jessie11LU:
      Buy meat at a local butcher shop in bulk. I got various cuts of meat, 25lbs, for 75.

We go to the butcher every few months and buy 25lbs of ground beef. It's cheaper than the grocery store, comes in already divided 1lb packets, and is from local grass fed cattle that have not been given hormones and antibiotics. And it tastes so much better!

Our Little Man 

11. Buy a 1/2 of a cow, we brought one and it lasted us almost a year and 1/2 before we ran out of meat and it was so much cheaper.
    12. Know what stuff costs. You won't know if your getting a good deal on things if you don't know how much it is in your area. I use a variety if money saving websites to get an idea of what I should pay for things.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
    13. image HuskieFanUW:
      Buy a 1/2 ofnbsp;a cow, we brought one and it lasted us almost a year and 1/2 before we ran out of meat and it was so much cheaper.

Same here! No way we would have gotten filet mignon or NY strip at the grocery store for less than 3 bucks a pound.

On the rare occasion I do go out to eat, I always make sure I save half to take home for lunch the next day and I always drink water. Soda and tea at restaurants is stupid expensive marked up.

14. I've been considering going to a butcher, now I definitely will!

I use coupons whenever possible.

I brew a large pot of coffee, add sugar, then refrigerate and just add milk to it in my tervis cup each morning, that saves A LOT.

imageimage
    15. Meal plan according to what's on sale at the grocery store instead of just picking what sounds good. That saved me a good amount of money when I did that. I also buy meat in bulk and freeze it when it's on sale.
    16. image bellaxanthe:

Don't go to target. Instead go to Walmart because you cannot stand to be there long. ;)

This!  If I go to target I will end up picking a cute baby outfit, a shirt for myself, maybe a random home decor item, etc..... not as likely to happen to walmart.
      BabyFetus Ticker

17. 1. We also use coupons whenever possible.

2. We use credit cards, but pay them off every month. And we use cards that give us rewards for gas, groceries, Kohl's, etc. It's nice making extra money off the credit card companies!

3. Also, if you company offers a match on your 401k, contribute whatever amount you need in order to get the company match. For example, my company contributes 3% towards my retirement if I contribute 3%.

18. I have to admit I'm really lousy with frugal money-saving tips largely being discussed here.

I'm really good with the big money management type ideas though, like the 401k match.   So in that vain:

1) Participate in 401k up  to full company match AT A MINIMUM.

2) When budgeting, lay out fixed costs, then retirement savings, then balance other targetted savings and variable costs last.   Automate the savings amounts to move out of your account before you can spend it. 

3) Pay attention to the fees on your investments.  High fees will more than eat up returns over your investing timeline.  I strongly recommend low-fee index funds for almost everybody.

4) Don't cash out a 401k when you leave a job - roll over to an IRA.  Unless for dire emergencies - retirement savings should stay retirement savings.

19. I have found almost anything Target Up & Up brand is just as good as name brand. My staples are the garbage bags, paper towels & tp, baggies, dishwasher detergent and diapers. I am a huge fan of the Target diapers, they are great quality, fragrance and dye free, really soft, not plastic-y at all, and a great price. A box of 80 is about $15 at my target. The same size pampers is $25-30.
      Image and video hosting by TinyPic

my sweet boys

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker