July 2012 Moms

GTKY= $$$

Whats your fav money saving tip?

Re: GTKY= $$$

• KarmBKarmB member

imageManda+Chase:
    If your receipt has a survey on it, take it! I've gotten so many free things from taking surveys that take at 5 minutes. 

oh really? i always laugh knowing  wont win anythng 

mine is eating out. dont do it. pack a lunch. 

• Don't buy tons of shiiiit you don't need.  
  • Loading the player...
  • elizdgelizdg member

imagemrsj0423:
      Don't buy tons of shiiiit you don't need.  

haha, yes ma'am!

I guess for us it has been to not use credit cards. We don't have any, so if we can't afford to buy something, we just don't. Pretty simple. 

ETA not saying that it's completely horrible to use credit cards, I think they are fine as long as you're paying them off.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    2. We do the 52 week challenge... 1 dollar the first, 2 the second... 33 the 33rd etc. All the way to 52. We also save our coins at the end of each day. DH is a bartender so L gets all his tip coins every night.
      imageimage

3. Pack a lunch for the office!  A lot of the people I work with eat out every day, don't know how they can stand to spend all that money.
    4. KarmBKarmB member

imageJessie11LU:
      Buy meat at a local butcher shop in bulk. I got various cuts of meat, 25lbs, for 75.

hmmmm i never thought about that, i always assume theyre more expensive. ill go check ours out. 

5. Don't send me to the store.  I always go off the list and buy contraband!
      Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    6. I've been considering going to a butcher, now I definitely will!

I use coupons whenever possible.

I brew a large pot of coffee, add sugar, then refrigerate and just add milk to it in my tervis cup each morning, that saves A LOT.

imageimage
    7. imagebellaxanthe:

Don't go to target. Instead go to Walmart because you cannot stand to be there long. ;)

This!  If I go to target I will end up picking a cute baby outfit, a shirt for myself, maybe a random home decor item, etc..... not as likely to happen to walmart.
      BabyFetus Ticker

8. I have to admit I'm really lousy with frugal money-saving tips largely being discussed here.

I'm really good with the big money management type ideas though, like the 401k match.   So in that vain:

1) Participate in 401k up  to full company match AT A MINIMUM.

2) When budgeting, lay out fixed costs, then retirement savings, then balance other targetted savings and variable costs last.   Automate the savings amounts to move out of your account before you can spend it. 

3) Pay attention to the fees on your investments.  High fees will more than eat up returns over your investing timeline.  I strongly recommend low-fee index funds for almost everybody.

4) Don't cash out a 401k when you leave a job - roll over to an IRA.  Unless for dire emergencies - retirement savings should stay retirement savings.

This discussion has been closed.
    Choose Another Board
    Search Boards
    "
    "