October 2013 Moms

Cocoa butter

I was wanting to know from you ladies if cocoa butter has worked for you. I have been told by so many people that swear by it, they had no stretch marks at after pregnancy. On the other hand I hear people say its all in your genetics, you are screwed if you had stretch marks during puberty or if your mother had them. So what do you ladies think?

Re: Cocoa butter

• Well I have gotten stretch marks before from breast growth spurts. So it is in my genes I guess to get them? However I have been using cocoa butter on my stomach and chest, if nothing else than to relieve the dry skin and itching and I don't have any stretch marks. So take from that what you will!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Kenzie born October 9th, 2013
  • Stretch marks are all in your genetics. Coco butter or other lotions only help to eliviate the itching and dryness. But nothing is going to make them not happen or make them go away.
    April Siggy Challenge: Bunnies
    DD#1~Emma Dawn 12/19/00 7lb 10 oz 21"
    DD#2~Daphney Mae 04/17/03 7lb 13oz 21"
    DD#3~Grace Deonea 05/20/10 8lb 2oz 21"
        DS#1~Brody Maxwell born 10/16/13 8lb 10oz 21"

• I'm almost 28 weeks, and I haven't been focusing on my boobs, mainly because they hurt so friggin bad, and I have an old stretch mark turning a little red. But I don't have anything on my stomach, and everyone says I am way too big to be 28 weeks. So I'm hoping I can get away with it lol
  • C&P of my response to a 2nd Tri thread:

You cannot prevent stretch marks. No matter how many gallons you put on, nothing will penetrate deep enough to have any effect on their development. It is all genetics and luck. That said, ANY lotion is great for helping with itching and dry skin that accompanies stretching skin.

Find a lotion that you like. It doesn't have to be a gimmick lotion or oil that claims to prevent stretch marks, and costs an arm and a leg. Personally, I use Nivea Smooth Sensation. And the occasional Aquaphor.

And as many mentioned in the other post: hydration. It is not prevention, but is still good to keep everything hydrated.

And not to scare you, but just because you don't get them during pregnancy doesn't mean thy you will not get them. Many people get them AFTER deliver. ::sad face::

I am a tiger with white stripes (and a few new red), so all hope is lost on this end.
    • • •
    milo '06 | fiona '09 | ian '12 | carys '13
    "Dreams are true while they last, and do we not live in dreams?" Alfred Tennyson
    ssa list | name nerds real top 7000 boys & girls
    TB FAQ Section
    • • •
  • Thank you! So informative! I just hate how many people were tellin me different stories. Seems when you get pregnant nothing but weird advice comes out of the wood work lol
  • I think if there really was some magical lotion that prevented stretch marks everyone would be using it.

imageimage
    Jude Beckham 10/23/2013   Sean & Chels 03/08/2012

April Siggy Challenge: Funny Bunny

• image Woodfairyamber:
    Thank you! So informative! I just hate how many people were tellin me different stories. Seems when you get pregnant nothing but weird advice comes out of the wood work lol

imageimage

• image HFrizzle:
    Stretch marks are all in your genetics. Coco butter or other lotions only help to eliviate the itching and dryness. But nothing is going to make them not happen or make them go away.

This.

Although, does anyone else see cocoa butter and immediately think "mmm, chocolate and butter?" Because I could be down with a big ole tub of that.  

image image Quartermisses  
    April Siggy Bunny
  • Lol!! I love seeing gifs on here!!
  • I'm using cocoa butter sashimi but I don't think it's going to help in the slightest since I got stretch marks during puberty. But CB smells nice and my skin hasn't been itchy at all!

• image quartermisses:

image HFrizzle:
    Stretch marks are all in your genetics. Coco butter or other lotions only help to eliviate the itching and dryness. But nothing is going to make them not happen or make them go away.

This.

Although, does anyone else see cocoa butter and immediately think "mmm, chocolate and butter?" Because I could be down with a big ole tub of that.  

Well it does smell like chocolate. So I kind of love going to bed smelling like chocolate most nights!

Kenzie born October 9th, 2013
  • image Brittlentz:
    image quartermisses:

image HFrizzle:

This.

Well it does smell like chocolate. So I kind of love going to bed smelling like chocolate most nights!

Mmm chocolate. I made fudge sauce tonight, and I wouldn't mind smelling like that all day.  

image image Quartermisses  
    April Siggy Bunny
  • image Welshgirl12:
    I'm using cocoa butter sashimi but I don't think it's going to help in the slightest since I got stretch marks during puberty. But CB smells nice and my skin hasn't been itchy at all!

Same here! I got them in puberty but it really does help with the itching. I feel my skin is already stretched to the limits, I can't see how much bigger I can possibly get lmao!
  • Have you guys ever tried olive body butter?! It's seriously THE greatest body butter I have ever used and I love it!

imageimage

• image Welshgirl12:
    I'm using cocoa butter sashimi but I don't think it's going to help in the slightest since I got stretch marks during puberty. But CB smells nice and my skin hasn't been itchy at all!

I am clearly NOT using cocoa butter SASHIMI, not a clue what that auto correct came from lol!

• anskipanskip
    250 Love Its 100 Comments Name Dropper
    I've been using for quite some time now. It really helps with the stretching and itcheness of my belly. I have no lie if it will help with stretch marks, but if it does that's an added plus. For now, it keeps me comfortable!
  • image Brittlentz:
    Well I have gotten stretch marks before from breast growth spurts. So it is in my genes I guess to get them? However I have been using cocoa butter on my stomach and chest, if nothing else than to relieve the dry skin and itching and I don't have any stretch marks. So take from that what you will!

Yeah- I didnt get them til after I delivered ds!  Plus you still have all of 3rd tri to get them. Don't count your blessings before they come true!   

Bison (FCS) beats Big 12 Champs Kansas St (24-21)!!!
    imageimage

• I can tell you from personal experience that all cocoa butter does is keep your skin soft and hydrated. I got stretch marks on my legs at puberty and my mother had stretch marks during all of her pregnancies. As of two weeks okay,regardless of how much cocoa butter I have used; I got my first set of stretch marks during this pregnancy right under my boobs. And they aren't the pretty kind. I haven't gotten any on my belly or hips yet. But I'm sure its only a matter of time. Women have told me they swear by it. Others have told me genetics. And even more tell me that you should be controlling your weight gain because part of the reason a person gets stretch marks is that they gain weight too quickly for your skin to catch up.

Pregnancy%20ticker

Married since September 12th 2011. DH:26 Me:21 +HPT#1: 09/09/2012 EDD: 05/15/2013 MMC: 10/06/2012
    +HPT#2: 01/27/2013 EDD: 10/03/2013 ITS A BOY!!!
  • For what it's worth, I've been using the Palmer's Cocoa Butter lotion since finding out I was pregnant, and it is making my skin nice and soft and smell good, but I am still getting some stretch marks on my lower stomach.  So, I don't believe that you can completely prevent them, it was a nice thought though.
    BFP #1 3/27/07-M/C 8weeks 5/3/07 "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away." 2/4/13 IUI #1+trigger=BFP!!!  DD born Oct. 9, 2013 via c-sectionAnniversary

• I put palmers tummy butter on everyday and I haven't gotten any marks yet, however, I know that doesn't mean I won't get them during/post labor. Keeping my fingers crossed!