Stay at Home Moms

Bug protection?

DD2 is highly allergic to bugbites.  Her whole arm/leg will swell, turn bright red and get hot. We are attempting a camping trip at the end of the month.  Any ideas to keep the bugs away from her?
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers   Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Bug protection?

• NandaBNandaB
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Third Anniversary
    California baby makes an all natural citronella and something else bug spray. I would bring citronella candles and benedryl for the inevitable bites
    G: 5/8/11
    N: 4/8/13
    having a baby on Christmas!

*suck it bump - siggies are hard
  • I recently read that lemon eucalyptus oil (or regular eucalyptus oil) works extremely well against a few different types of bugs. Apparently, different bugs react to different things, but this actually repels mosquitoes and ticks. I'm not sure about biting flies/gnats/chiggers, etc. I do know that Avon skin so soft bath oil used to work wonders on me years ago. I lived in very woodsy North Carolina, and I also had/have horrible reactions to insect bites. We hadn't lived there long, and my mom was desperate for advice, so when a neighbor suggested it, she thought it couldnt hurt to try, and it worked!!! It actually worked for our dog too. I don't even know if they still make the product, but it would be worth a shot if you'd rather not go the chemical route. (Although if your DD is that allergic, a chemical block may be the best way, I don't know.)

"Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing."- Helen Keller
  • The California Baby stuff is expensive and it only works if you reapply it literally every 15 minutes.  It's fine for an evening in the yard but not a weekend in the woods. I gave up on it after 2 days and just get the OFF Family stuff with Deet.  Ped said it's fine under 10%.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I use Skin So Soft, surprisingly it works, plus it doesn't smell gross.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers