Parenting after a Loss
Options

Dealing with anxiety

Last night DS puked a huge amount. His clothes and hair and sheets were dripping. We heard choking and ran into his room. We was on his back choking on his puke. DH started doing the baby heimlich and lucky it all was coming out onto the floor. He was totally fine and giggly after but it scared the living sh!t out of me. I couldn't stop crying. I slept on the floor beside his crib. I have been super laid back thus far but now I keep thinking what if we had been sleeping? What if we didn't hear him? Now it doesn't help that I had to spend my first night away from him for work tonight. I can't sleep because I am terrified. What do I do?

Re: Dealing with anxiety

• Options
    Oh goodness!! I bet that was scary, I am so sorry you had to deal with that. I don't really have any advice other than if the anxiety becomes too much, you may want to find a professional to talk to. It can be crippling, and finding someone to work through the process with may be beneficial to you and your dh. In the interim though, there are several monitors out there that alert you if baby stops moving/breathing.

I am sorry that I am of no help to you. I hope that you are able to find some peace. Huge, huge, hugs!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

Holy crap - that is super scary!  The good news is that you did hear him and that he's ok.  The other thing to remember is that mom's have super-sonic hearing - and you would have heard him choking - even if you were asleep.  It's a gift courtesy of mother nature.  I find that even though Pip's over a year - I still wake up when I hear her moving in her crib (even if she's just rolling over) and I can hear her sighing in her sleep - and she's across the hall and down a couple of doors.  It's really weird, but you are already super-tuned to your baby and you'll hear this stuff.  (Keep in mind that as a general rule my hearing is awful and I'm always asking people to repeat stuff - so it makes it even more bizarre that I can hear her so clearly even when asleep.)

To further ease your mind - I would definitely recommend a baby monitor.  There are some really great monitors out there - they even have some that you can use via your cell phone (which might come in handy if you have to work).  I can absolutely understand the anxiety and I don't blame you a bit.  I hope that you find something that works for you!  (And congratulations on your LO!!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Siggy Warning~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    ((Hugs)) That is super scary, sorry you had to go through that. My mom always says that a mother can hear their child cry a block away and I think thats true. Even if you were sleeping, im sure you would have heard him but I understand the anxiety.  
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP #1 6.19.11 ~ EDD 2.23.12 ~ CP on 6.22.11
    BFP #2 7.23.11 ~ EDD 3.28.12 ~ MC on 8.16.11
    BFP #3 11.17.11~ EDD 7.31.12 ~ MC on 1.18.12
    BFP #4 4.12.12 ~ EDD 12.25.12~ Born on 12.26.12
  • Options
    Thank you for the advice and reassurance! I am using a monitor now and last night wasn't as bad as the night before.  I think the initial shock of the incident just really scared me!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"