2nd Trimester
Options

Are you planning on getting an epidural?

2»

Re: Are you planning on getting an epidural?

• Options
    I'm planning it as an option but I'm not 100% convinced I'll get one. I think I'll decide the day of but I would rather not get one.
  • Options
    Hoping for a natural birth so no not planning on an epidural.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I got one for DS1 and ended up needing pitocin and it did not work on the right side of my body.  It was torture being in pain and not able to move.

With DS2 I went med-free and plan on it with this one.

Natural M/c 12/13/08 at 8w5d 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I did Hypnobirthing last time and had a great med-free birth.  Hoping for the same experience this time, but you never know!
  • Options
    Absolutely not. I'm going all natural. I want to feel those contractions!
    Lilypie - (KUub)  Lilypie - (x7FR)

Daisypath - (cVUA)   Daisypath - (CnD8)

• Options
    Yes!  I went through a horrible natural miscarriage, and feel like i have already experienced the glory of labor pains.  Now that I've scratched that off my bucket list, bring on the epidural.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I was all about the epidural, but I'm scared to death of tearing badly, and I've read that you have much more control over the damage to your bits when you can feel the baby.   And...since then I've read about all the other benefits to the baby, and how it can lead to a cascade of other interventions.  So, all in all, I'm still very scared but I'm NOT planning on having an epidural.
  • Options

I had one with my first one and it didn't fully work, but I will get another one with the this one also, hopefully, it will fully work this time.

• Options

If I can, yup.

My mom had a birth with one and a birth without.  She said it didn't make much of a difference, but also the birth without one was incredibly fast.

• Options
    There's no medal for going med-free. If you're worried about the pain or find out that it's more than you can handle, get the epidural. I wasn't initially planning on it, but I did. And I loved it. I will be planning on it from the beginning this time. Don't let the kray-krays (from either camp) convince you: get informed and decide for yourself!
  • Options
    I'd really like to skip the epidural. I'd like to be non-fuzzy after the birth, and recover quicker, and all that jazz. I plan to take a few classes. But if I'm going insane, or if my labor is exceedingly long... I'm not going to refuse it. This probably means I'm going to get it, but we'll see. Sometimes I can manage to tough things out, and sometimes I'm a baby. We'll see.
  • Options
    Yep! I had an awesone labor last time, was able to feel all the contractions to push and had a great recovery. Would love to replicate the whole thing again!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm going to decide when I'm in labor :)  I had one with DS and while it did a great job of keeping me from feeling pain, the following day I had an atypical migraine - wavy vision, numbness on one side - totally freaked me out.  I might try to go without this time but not sure if I can do it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'm not planning on getting one because I heard you will be in soooooo much pain if you move after giving birth. Also that it takes a long time to wear off; so you have to lay there, not move and accept that you can't wash off that blood and such until it's worn off. I've also recently heard how bad Pitocin is. So that is a sure-fire 100% no on the Pitocin.

It's still early (to me) to have a sure-fire plan on how I want to do this. But I've heard there's tons of options out there. But if my insurance will only cover the epidural route, then I guess I can manage the after-affects.

Pregnancy Ticker image
  • Options
    Definitely not planning on it. I know things don't always work out the way you plan (especially birth) but we are doing a lot of research and reading so we can try as many different techniques as possible to avoid having an epidural!
  • Options
    imageSaki67:

I'm not planning on getting one because I heard you will be in soooooo much pain if you move after giving birth. Also that it takes a long time to wear off; so you have to lay there, not move and accept that you can't wash off that blood and such until it's worn off. I've also recently heard how bad Pitocin is. So that is a sure-fire 100% no on the Pitocin.

I've had 4 epidurals (out of 5 deliveries) and was never in a lot of pain after birth. In fact, I always feel pretty dang good. I've never even heard anyone suggest those who get epidurals will be in a lot of pain if they move after giving birth, specifically because they had an epidural. (Unless the ane. goes too far with the needle and they get a spinal headache, another problem I've never dealt with. Other than that possibility... what is it about the epidural were you told causes pain after birth? Just curious.

Also, mine always wore off by the time I was moved from the delivery room to my mother/baby room, (usually about 45 minutes to an hr after birth) and with the help of Dh, I always shower right off the bat. But even before it wears off, my midwife washes that area after the placenta is delivered... so it's not like I'm laying there covered in blood. ;)

*Julie* Wife to Micheal and mama of 5, soon to be 6!* Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imageMollusksWrangler:
    What is with the statement "you don't get a medal" when referring to natural birth? Seriously, that's why you think people choose it as a badge of honor? It irks the crap out of me, my choices for natural are 100 baised on what I feel is best for me and my child. Not the pats on the back for it. I know there is no guarantee with labor if things change five but that statement is just plain stupid. No one says anything if you choose an epi. Good for you.

I agree with ya here. I don't really understand it, either. It's almost like those who say this are trying to down play what an accomplishment it is to give birth w/ no meds. Giving birth without the use of pain meds is something to be proud of. When you know there are meds available upon request that can take away the pain you are feeling, yet you resist and go through that pain to do what you feel is best for you and your baby... that's a huge accomplishment. I have had great experiences with the epi and I am not opposed to getting it, but I also know the MUCH deserved feeling of total pride & empowerment and that natural high you experience after giving birth without pain meds is much better than any medal. ;)

*Julie* Wife to Micheal and mama of 5, soon to be 6!* Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

yep. well, I have to. I'll probably have a rcs. but I delivered vaginally with #1. I had two epidurals, both failed, and I ended up delivering med free. worst experience of my life. I was passing out between pushes b/c the pain was so bad.

on the other hand, while getting my epi with #2, my baby was actually able to flip during the process. being breach coupled with the wrapping of the cord is what caused my emergency c/s.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imagemommajewels87:

imageMollusksWrangler:
    What is with the statement "you don't get a medal" when referring to natural birth? Seriously, that's why you think people choose it as a badge of honor? It irks the crap out of me, my choices for natural are 100 baised on what I feel is best for me and my child. Not the pats on the back for it. I know there is no guarantee with labor if things change five but that statement is just plain stupid. No one says anything if you choose an epi. Good for you.

I agree with ya here. I don't really understand it, either. It's almost like those who say this are trying to down play what an accomplishment it is to give birth w/ no meds. Giving birth without the use of pain meds is something to be proud of. When you know there are meds available upon request that can take away the pain you are feeling, yet you resist and go through that pain to do what you feel is best for you and your baby... that's a huge accomplishment. I have had great experiences with the epi and I am not opposed to getting it, but I also know the MUCH deserved feeling of total pride & empowerment and that natural high you experience after giving birth without pain meds is much better than any medal. ;)

giving birth with pain meds is something to be proud of. one way does not make you more awesome than the other.

and "natural" birth does not refer to birth without meds. if you use meds, you can still have a "natural" birth. natural=vaginal.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageChocodoxies:

So here is why I don't plan on having one. They may not work. No joke, this happens.

Yep, this happened to me.  And to add insult to injury, not only did it not work I still ended up with some of the possible complications and interventions from it to where it made my labor FAR worse than it would have been (picture ONLY being allowed to labor laying on your left side because the interventions negatively impacted baby's heart rate even though I didn't get any pain relief.  They still pumped me full of Pitocin because the epi slowed labor and after 24 hours of this they sectioned me for failure to progress).  Terrible experience.  I'm going to go ahead and bypass the epi this time since it didn't work out so well last time :/ 

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options

imageMollusksWrangler:
    What is with the statement "you don't get a medal" when referring to natural birth? Seriously, that's why you think people choose it as a badge of honor? .

I don't know about you, but I got a medal after all of mine.  I wear them every day.  You should see my homebirth medal.  It totally made it all worth it Stick out tongue

• Options
    Nope. With my first child, I had a really, really fast labor.  Only 4 hours from when my water broke to getting my daughter put in my arms.  My doc didn't get there until I was going to push, but I really wish he had been, because the resident on call totally freaked me out.  I had to wait in triage for about 40 minutes to even be admitted into ob, then another 30 minutes before anyone even came to actually check me.  By then I was at 8, and they asked me if I wanted and epidural.  I was still under the impression that my labor (since it was my first) was going to last 12 more hours.  I had really strong contractions that started at 2 minutes apart, and since they were asking me if I wanted an epidural (and were kind of pushy about it, since "the anesthesiologist is very busy, he wants to know") I opted to get it because I didn't think I had the strength to go for hours and hours more.  Here's the fun part; I went through the discomfort of getting the epidural, but I was already so close to the end, it didn't even have time to kick in, and I gave birth without it!  I kept waiting for the pain to get worse, but it was over before it ever got as bad as I thought it would get!  Oh well, at least I know now I can handle it.  I'm not anti-epidural though, if you have a crazy long labor, go for it so you can sleep!
  • Options

I am planning on a natural birth. I have been reading tons of books on pregnancy, and the one that helped me with this decision is called "The History of Birth" which I found at my local library. Here is a link to it on Amazon so you know what you're looking for:

https://www.amazon.com/Birth-The-Surprising-History-Born/dp/0802143245/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348861258&sr=8-1&keywords=the+history+of+birth

I like this book because it is not biased, and it talks about the birthing process in it's historical and physiological aspects. I learned so much about various birthing methods (Lamaze, Bradly, Hypnobirths, etc), Cesarian delivery, and even the history of pain killers (which started in the Victorian Era).

I would recommend this book to everyone as it covers all the bases in a subjective manner. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagemommajewels87:
    imageSaki67:

I've had 4 epidurals (out of 5 deliveries) and was never in a lot of pain after birth. In fact, I always feel pretty dang good. I've never even heard anyone suggest those who get epidurals will be in a lot of pain if they move after giving birth, specifically because they had an epidural. (Unless the ane. goes too far with the needle and they get a spinal headache, another problem I've never dealt with. Other than that possibility... what is it about the epidural were you told causes pain after birth? Just curious.

Also, mine always wore off by the time I was moved from the delivery room to my mother/baby room, (usually about 45 minutes to an hr after birth) and with the help of Dh, I always shower right off the bat. But even before it wears off, my midwife washes that area after the placenta is delivered... so it's not like I'm laying there covered in blood. ;)

It was an older woman that told me this and it stuck. Since she gave me that look, that one that screams 'heed my warning little naive one!' Can't remember if she said it was her or a friend that went threw it. (because I was shocked by what she was saying) But she basically said, that after delivery she moved her head just a little and was in pain or maybe it was that she had the most painful headache ever. Now I'm still young, so I'm just sitting there wide-eyed thinking 'omg! I don't want that!' And she basically told me that if I get an epidural not to move or I'll be in sooo much pain. So because I trust this wise older woman I believed her. She's also the one that said she couldn't get out of the bed because of the pain, to wash the blood and such off, so she had to wait hours for the epidural to wear off to shower. But maybe... she was exadirateding; she did have maybe the worlds worse birthing experience with her first child.

So because of her warning I was really against getting an epidural. Because I really don't want to be in a hospital wearing only a hospital gown and being that vulnerable with a strong possibility of no one will be there to make me feel safe while I waited for it to wear off after giving birth. (I won't have a DH and my my family has questionable if they will even be working cars.) I've also heard about other moms "unpleasant" experiences with getting stitched up afterwards by a male doctor/nurse. You probably can't demand that if you get torn, you get stitched up by a female.

Pregnancy Ticker image
  • Options

Hellllz to the yes :)  I loved my epi the first time around.  If I had a super fast labor this time and there just wasn't a chance for it, so be it.  But if it's a long, drawn out process like last time, I'm all about the epi.  Mine was perfect.  I could move easily, feel everything just minus the pain, had no problem figuring out how to push, and felt amazing afterwards.  I was a touch sore on my back where it was but hardly noticable most of the time.

Honestly, I'm the type that would be crying and swearing without it.....I'd rather a much more calm delivery than that, but I totally understand that others are able to manage pain in a more positive way than me!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I had one with my daughter, loved it, and am planning to have another with this one!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'm planning not to get it..Most of my aunts have not gotten it and they were able to handle it. Plus I injured my back in high school while playing soccer and I'm scare that I will hurt it more with it. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"