November 2012 Moms
Options

Painting Baby's Toenails

thoughts?

...I asked a client of mine who is a pediatrician and she said that after 6 months, the baby would not be effected by nail polish....and you can remove it with acetone-free nail polish remover and then wash with soap & water and it's totally safe. She went on to say the baby has a better chance of exposure to chemicals and toxins from a walk on a busy street, or with the windows down on the fwy in traffic.

I'm not saying I'm gonna jump on the 1st opportunity to give my baby a pedicure, I'm just researching the possibilities. My mom always had my toesies painted starting at 10 months or so--but never my finger nails until I went to the salon with her on my 3rd birthday for  treat. 

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Painting Baby's Toenails

• Options
    I'm sure it's fine. When my twin cousins were born, my aunt would paint their toes different colors until she learned to tell them apart. I mean I wouldn't give her a pedi in the delivery room or anything, but at 6 months old, it should be fine.
    imageimage imageimage
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

SHOOT! 

I can't think of the brand but there is one that is all natural and a safer alternative for young children.  I planned on getting some of that and not worrying about it.

I can't wait to paint little piggies! 

The girls will be born during fall/winter so they would be around 6 months before sandal season hits anyway.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." "Who doesn't LOVE candy?" Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Piggy Paint . . .

https://www.piggypaint.com/

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." "Who doesn't LOVE candy?" Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageJenniferLuvsCandy:

Piggy Paint . . .

I went looking at that stuff. It doesn't have a recommended age but I did see in the FAQ's that it says "not meant for ingestion" so I'd probably rethink using it when/if little piggies start going in baby's mouth. DD never really put her feet in her mouth much but other baby's do so just be careful about that and maybe double check with your own pedi when you have one. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
    DD born 5/15/11
    DS born 11/12/12
  • Options

OMG are you insane? You're going to kill your baby just for the sake of vanity?? 

LOL... kidding. :)

I think, as long as you use a nail polish suitable for children (May I suggest Crayola scented? I might be wearing it right now...it smells like candy) and she isn't one to bite it off, that this isn't a problem at all. Children's nail polish tends to dry a little faster too, so it makes less mess, and I feel like when I was little I used to have one that peeled off instead of chipped, so I didn't eat chunks and we could avoid the polish remover. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    milescmilesc member
    I painted my DDs at 2ish months with regular nail polish, no biggie. She wasn't chewing on her feet yet, and she looked cute. As. He!l. 
    Those who don't believe in love at first sight, have never given birth
    Big sister meeting little brother for the first time-
    <a href="http://s326.photobucket.com/albums/k409/YellowMiles/?action=view
  • Options
    imageshutupanddance07:

OMG are you insane? You're going to kill your baby just for the sake of vanity?? 

LOL... kidding. :)

I think, as long as you use a nail polish suitable for children (May I suggest Crayola scented? I might be wearing it right now...it smells like candy) and she isn't one to bite it off, that this isn't a problem at all. Children's nail polish tends to dry a little faster too, so it makes less mess, and I feel like when I was little I used to have one that peeled off instead of chipped, so I didn't eat chunks and we could avoid the polish remover. 

I HAD THAT TOO! I wish I could find it! I was trying to explain to SIL that she should get it for her toddler, cause it's freakin awesome. I'd definitely do it with that, since you don't have to even use the nail polish remover. That's all I would even be concerned with, just because it's smelly and it would be a pain to get a baby to sit still long enough to take off the polish :)

V|V TSP V|V
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageLollyBug18:
    imageJenniferLuvsCandy:

Piggy Paint . . .

I went looking at that stuff. It doesn't have a recommended age but I did see in the FAQ's that it says "not meant for ingestion" so I'd probably rethink using it when/if little piggies start going in baby's mouth. DD never really put her feet in her mouth much but other baby's do so just be careful about that and maybe double check with your own pedi when you have one. 

...well, even toothpaste isn't meant for ingestion....

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I started painting DDs toes as soon as she got over the "feet in mouth" stage.  Her toes stay painted all the time!

• Options
    imageHawaiianMom35:
    imageLollyBug18:
    imageJenniferLuvsCandy:

Piggy Paint . . .

...well, even toothpaste isn't meant for ingestion....

And you don't put toothpaste on a baby's toes to suck off... 

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
    DD born 5/15/11
    DS born 11/12/12
  • Options
    Meh. I love all things burly but I wouldn't do it. I didn't let my oldest paint her toe nails till she was 4. I've always been a paranoid mom though. I also want to keep their bodies as healthy and natural as possible. I keep my toenails painted because they look better with polish now, but I don't paint my fingernails. I have nice hands and nailbeds and I don't want to ruin that. I think painting and painting your nails makes them not as healthy looking. Not that painting your kids nails every once in a blue moon is going to make this happen.
  • Options
    This is honestly something I never would have thought of.  If you feel the need to paint your babies nails, go for it.  I'm having boys so I won't need to worry about it unless they go through a goth stage in high school ;) If I was having a girl though, I don't think I would do it until she was a bit older, like 7 or so.  I also rarely paint my nails, my toes are only painted in the summer and if I paint my finger nails it's either just a clear polish for shine or a French manicure, it's just not my style which plays a big part I this too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"