2nd Trimester
Options

Are you worried about your shampoo?

This blog post was tweeted today and it is concerning me a bit:  https://www.cheapisexpensive.net/2009/10/20/hair-care-during-pregnancy/ . I use Pantene Pro-V and it has  methylisothiazolinone in it. It is however the last ingredient listed. Have you heard this before??

I am 15 weeks and have been using it all along,should I be concerned? Do you think I should give up the Pantene?

Re: Are you worried about your shampoo?

• Options
    No. I wouldn't worry about it.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

I changed all my skincare/haircare products shortly after becoming pregnant. But I have a friend who didn't change her shampoo and her son was fine--he's 13 now..

I am now using Aveda products for hair/skincare. But I don't think it's necessary to change. It's all about personal choice..Good luck! P.S.-Aveda is my favorite now.. :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    No. I am cheap. I used to use only Revlon hair care and there is no difference between that and Pantene other than being ripped off. I buy what is on sale that both DH and I can share. Have never thought twice about it.
  • Options
    Nope, not even remotely.
    Lots of love to my BFPB, Squishy622 <3

photo 544b4365-b9ee-4805-ba08-f19896d25dae_zpsd8a0debb.jpgphoto ed61c23b-2bf9-4622-b870-072ac0970775_zpsa90b2a73.jpg

• Options

I would imagine that unless you are drinking it you will be fine. 

And no, I'm not worried.  At all.  

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagecewright85:

This blog post was tweeted today and it is concerning me a bit:  https://www.cheapisexpensive.net/2009/10/20/hair-care-during-pregnancy/ . I use Pantene Pro-V and it has  methylisothiazolinone in it. It is however the last ingredient listed. Have you heard this before??

I am 15 weeks and have been using it all along,should I be concerned? Do you think I should give up the Pantene?

Not at all!!!!!!I've been a stylist for 10 years and had a baby in 2009. I worked full time through the whole pregnancy and my daughter is far from a mutant :) and she is very smart.  What you choose to avoid during your pregnancy is up to you, but I have been exposed to the industry for many moons, and had a very healthy pregnancy and baby.

Now, Yes, I do think you should give up Pantene.  Not because of the methylisothiazolinone, but because of the panthenol and the plastics they put in that product.  I have seen a pantene user's scalp under a microscope, during a Nioxin class, and it coats the scalp in plastics and buildup, causing shiny early hair loss.  It closes the follicle down and the hairs shed out pre-maturely. 

Cheap products are fine, it's Pantene that isn't .  Try going into Sally Beauty Supply and see if there is something in your price range.  I use Kerastase and it's owned by Loreal, so I would find something in your price range made by Loreal.  I figure they are born from the same chemists :)

I wish you lived closer to me, I would hook you up at the beauty supply with my discount!

• Options
    I generally try to use chemical-free everything... but when I'm pregnant, Herbal Essences is the only shampoo that will cut the nasty out of my hair.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

The list of things we can't use, eat or do is ridiculous.  You have to use some common sense and filter out the stuff that's just ridiculous.  

Research groups receive grant money, awards, fame... for their findings.  If my research was on the effect of methylisothiazolinone on a fetus then you bet your sweet tush I'd try to find some shred of evidence that says it's harmful.  Grant money and my career would depend on it.  Sometimes these studies are really reaching bc some researcher is trying to get their research published.  An article that warns of negative effects is more likely to be published in a reputable journal and be cited in other journals.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP 1 | EDD 4.1.11 | MMC D&C 10.27.10 | 14 weeks
    BFP 2 | EDD 9.29.11 | MC 1.25.11 | 6 weeks
    BFP 3 | EDD 3.4.12 | MC 9.5.11 | 10 weeks
    BFP 4 | Twins EDD 6.7.12 | MC James 10.31.11 Kellen 1.12.12 | 8 weeks/19 weeks

BFP 5 | EDD 12.24.12 | Rainbow Baby in the Making!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    **Formerly known as Nikki04vb**
    ? PGAL/PAL Welcome ?
  • Options

Nope, not worried about my shampoo. I'm also drinking a latte right now...eeeks!

I guess I live on the edge! My scan showed a perfectly healthy little boy with ten fingers and toes :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • Options

Nope. I have been using organic shampoo for years so I wasn't worried about anything in it when I got my BFP.

Pregnant women have been exposed to worse and had healthy babies, so I wouldn't worry too much. That said...I would give up the pantene, not just for LO but for you. A lot of artificial fragrances and other chemicals in shampoos replicate hormones, and they aren't really sure how that affects the body long term (as in, years of use).

ETA: note to people who say chemicals are fine unless you eat them--the skin is porous, including your scalp. Your body and can and will absorb chemicals through the skin. This is why the hormone patch works as a birth control method, or why a nicotine patch works to stop smoking. Furthermore, both my pregnancy books say to not use products with salicylic acid, which are usually face washes or creams but sometimes shampoos. Why would a book issued by the ACOG say not to apply that cream to your skin if you had to eat it to have any effects?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"