Pregnant after a Loss
Options

Pregnant right after chemical pregnancy/early miscarriage?

I know people have been successful directly after chemical pregnancies, but my doctor said to wait until I get another period then try again.  I am just wondering is there a medical reason to wait? I would hate to do something too soon and have it happen all over.  Then again I am so anxious right now the wait seems forever! If there are any downsides I will just avoid sex this month and listen to my dr.  I had a BFP 11/5/11, and got my period about a week late on 11/8/11.

Re: Pregnant right after chemical pregnancy/early miscarriage?

• Options
    I had an early m/c (not quite 6 weeks along) and got pregnant on the next cycle. I'm due in 4 weeks!
  • Options

I got pregnant with DS2 after two back to back miscarriages. It was as if I was in the first trimester for 9 months. It was pretty hard but I always have a hard time obstructing and missing out a "could have been" opportunity. I personally never waited after any of my losses (I know it is controversial to admit on these boards). Now if had to have a D&C or had a later loss, then that would have been different.

Ask your doctor what is the reason behind his/her recommendation.

9 angels in heaven-3 in my arms and 1 in the NICU                                                                                                                                    
    Mono/di twin girls: Josephine born to heaven and Evangeline born Earthside at 25w

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would follow your Dr. orders. My Dr. had me wait 2 cycles before trying again. I would personally not want to go against the Dr. orders. It also takes some people's bodies a while to get back on schedule. It took my body a while to get back on schedule. I ended up having to have a D/C to get it back to normal. I had 2 pollops in my uterus and some scar tissue. This was about 10 months or so after my miscariage that they did the D/C. I got pregnant the cycle after my D/C.Wich was almost a year after my miscarriage.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageAluenna:

Most of the ladies on this board will tell you to stick with what your doctor says, because only s/he knows your particular situation. It is, of course, highly recommended to ask them WHY they want you to wait and if you don't agree with the reasons discuss that with them and come to a decision you're both happy with.

There are people on this board who had a loss and then got pregnant the cycle after and things are progressing well...and there are also people who had two back to back losses. If you ignore what your doctor recommends, and go ahead and try again...how will you feel if you fall into the second group? I followed what my doctor told me because I knew if I had another loss, I would blame myself for it forever and always wonder, "what if?".

Just so you know, that desperate, all-consuming need to get pregnant again right away is part of the grieving process. Pretty much everyone who has a loss experiences it. It may help you to remember that.

I am very sorry for your loss, and wish you best luck in the future. 

This entirely!!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageAluenna:

Most of the ladies on this board will tell you to stick with what your doctor says, because only s/he knows your particular situation. It is, of course, highly recommended to ask them WHY they want you to wait and if you don't agree with the reasons discuss that with them and come to a decision you're both happy with.

There are people on this board who had a loss and then got pregnant the cycle after and things are progressing well...and there are also people who had two back to back losses. If you ignore what your doctor recommends, and go ahead and try again...how will you feel if you fall into the second group? I followed what my doctor told me because I knew if I had another loss, I would blame myself for it forever and always wonder, "what if?".

Just so you know, that desperate, all-consuming need to get pregnant again right away is part of the grieving process. Pretty much everyone who has a loss experiences it. It may help you to remember that.

All of this. I got pregnant right again after experiencing my miscarriage after my doctor ok'ed us trying again so soon. I'd also encourage you to wait while you heal emotionally as well as physically. The pain doesn't go away, but I'll tell you I had not given myself any time to truly grieve my miscarriage. While I don't regret getting or being pregnant, I regret not being able to give this LO all the love and desire that I could have in the beginning because I hadn't dealt with my grief over losing my first LO. It took me a very long time to feel like I was bonded to my daughter.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Suddenly the world seems such a perfect place.
    Suddenly it moves with such a perfect grace.
    Suddenly my life doesn't seem such a waste,
    It all revolves around you.
  • Options
    imageAluenna:

I'm sorry for your loss.

I completely, wholeheartedly agree with the above post....  Especially the bolded part.  That desperate longing to get pregnant immediately may make you think you can replace what you have lost, but the truth is you can't.  Nothing can.

Allow yourself time to grieve your loss and time to heal, both physically and emotionally.  When you are ready to begin a new pregnancy and welcome a new baby (not pick up where you left off), contact your OB and ask them why they want you to wait... but chances are, by the time you feel somewhat healed emotionally, the physical wait will be over.  ((hugs))... I wish you comfort and healing.

Miss Mrs. New & Improved Blog Chart
    Online Garage Sale
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    monica & kevin married 5.28.11
    bfp 8.11.11 - m/c 8.17.11
    bfp 11.11.11 - edd 7.25.12
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I had a chemical pregnancy in June, and got my BFP my next cycle, I am now 19 weeks pregnant and everything is going great! the only reason your doctor would ask you to wait a cycle before trying again would be to properly date your pregnancy. Good luck
  • Options
    I agree with what some of the other posters wrote.  Plus your period can be a little off after a chemical pregnancy/early miscarriage.  Mine was right on cue, but I have heard of it taking others a couple months before getting their first period post miscarriage.  Also, don't necessarily buy into the line that you're more fertile right after a miscarriage.  Every woman's body is different and you may or may not be.  You could try with all your power and might to get pregnant right away and it just not happen because your body isn't ready.  I hope this insight helps too.
  • Options

I agree with all the pps.  There is always a desperate need to get pregnant after a loss and I definitely felt that.  I had a missed miscarriage at 10 weeks and D&E.  My doctor advised a 2 cycle wait.  I was not happy with that and called and spoke to another doctor in the practice and she advised a 1 month cycle and she said the time to wait to try to conceive again after a loss is really up in the air.  There isn't much scientific proof to say what is right.

We decided to wait the 2 month wait not because of doctor's orders but because of life.  I got my first period after the loss about 6 weeks after my D&E and then my next was 25 days after the last period.  We were lucky enough to get pregnant the first cycle trying after our two month wait.  I am honestly happy we waited the 2 months because it gave me time to process my loss, grieve and prepare myself for another pregnacy ( and pregnancy after a loss is a very different course than my 1st pregnancy where I had no loss history).

If you aren't comfortable with your doctor's orders, I would ask why they have given them to you and then only you can decide what is right for yourself and your family.  I wish you all the success!

Taylor Annalee 12/1/09 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Sean Thomas 1/26/2012 Lilypie First Birthday tickers Angel Baby missed m/c 2/17/11, D&E 2/18/11
  • Options

imageprincesscto:
    the only reason your doctor would ask you to wait a cycle before trying again would be to properly date your pregnancy. Good luck

Agree with this. Do what feels right to you.  As another poster described, the all consuming NEED to be pregnant again after a miscarriage is just horrendous.  To me, although it was a long time ago now, the waiting was about one of the worst things I had done before.  Good luck to you.

TTC #1 May 2007
    M/C January 2008
    DS February 16th, 2009

TTC #2 July 2010
    Diagnosed MFI
    IUI#1 w/ bravelle 5/12/11 -- 0% morph on day of IUI, but somehow BFP:
    Beta #1 38 at 12dpiui, Beta #2 85 at 14dpiui Beta #3 1100 at 19dpiui
    DD born December 28, 2011 at 34w6d

Baby #3 due June 14, 2015

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards