September 2011 Moms
Options

Breastfeeding and Tattoos

What is your feeling about getting a tattoo while still breastfeeding/pumping? I've read mixed reviews and do plan to talk to the doctor about it at the next appt. What have you heard and would you get one while still breastfeeding?

I plan to (if I can) pump for 9-12 months and would like to get one before then.

Also just for fun, what tattoo (if any) would you like to get done next?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Breastfeeding and Tattoos

• Options

I have 3 hearts on my foot and am trying to figure out how to add my lucille ball picture to it. I want to add the Lucy Stick figure (just lucy, not ricky)...

• Options

I thought that tattoos were fine while you're BFing as long as you're going to a clean place. 

I have six right now and want lots more.

Have:

-Fleur de lis on my back left shoulder

- Green triquetra on my front right shoulder

- Om symbol on my left wrist

- Pan on my left ankle

- Very large tattoo of Ganesha on my back (from underwear to bra basically)

- Elvish words on my upper right arm that say "Not all who wander are lost" (DH and I both have this one)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Someday, I would like to get a tattoo that honors all of my children...so I have to wait to see if we have another.  This includes something to acknowledge the two that I lost.  No idea as to design or placement on my body yet.

I don't currently have any.

• Options
    I have a basic clean-line design tramp stamp... ;-) And hidden in there are the initials of my brother who passed away when i was 23. I don't think I'll get another tattoo but DH wants to get one for Rylee. Still trying to figure out what that is tho...
  • Options
    I want to get a sea star tattoo since Stella's name means star and my whole family loves the water. I'm going to wait until I'm done breastfeeding though. I just feel better about it if I wait even if the risk is minimal.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I've heard the mixed reviews on tattoos and BFing. I'd see what the doctor says.

I currently have 5:
    peace sign
    Greek symbol for my zodiac sign (Libra)
    kanji for harmony
    tiger
    dragon

My next will be the old Japanese ukyoe style portrait of a woman in a kimono looking over her shoulder.  She will stand on the peace sign.

After that I want to get a pheonix that goes from my butt to my bra and the tail feathers wrap around my sides.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I never knew that getting a tattoo while breastfeeding would be an issue. Although, I suppose it makes sense. I currently have three tattoos; a cross with my dad's initials on my lower back, a star on my ribcage, and "Amor vincit omnia, et nos cedamus amori." (which means Love conquersall and let us yield to it.) on my side. I'm hoping to add something for Lenox and the tree of life somewhere. I'd like to breast feed for at least 2 years but I was hoping to get my next tattoo sooner than that.  
  • Options

I got a tattoo while BFing DS.  I didn't realize some considered it taboo until after it was done.

That tattoo is on my ankle and is of two butterflies, with a smoky line winding behind them.  It is to honour our twin girls we lost.

Eventually I will get one that honours our living children, but no ideas on that one quite yet!

• Options

I think the only concern is infection..which can occur if BF or not.. a lot of tattoo places wont tattoo a nursing mother also just to be safe..

I want a half sleeve of a nightmare before Christmas scene I might start early next year

But I would also like to get something with DS name.. and maybe a bat or something.. I'm not sure.. I have an elf baby in a leaf cocoon with DDs name under it..

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"