Trying to Get Pregnant

Let's see what drama this will stir up....

Circumcision.  What do you think?

ETA:  I already regret this...

DD born 6.13.11 at 37w5d

DS born 5.23.12 at 36w5d

BFP 6.9.13|heartbeat of 128bpm 7weeks|7.23.13 ultrasound revealed no heartbeat|natural m/c and d&c 7.25.13

DS born 5.20.14 at 38 weeks

All are welcome

Re: Let's see what drama this will stir up....

• my husband will make this decision. I'm sure he will choose to circumcise. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • just curious... why is it your hubby's decision?  i'm really curious about this topic b/c i just started thinking about it and debating it with my husband.

DD born 6.13.11 at 37w5d

DS born 5.23.12 at 36w5d

BFP 6.9.13|heartbeat of 128bpm 7weeks|7.23.13 ultrasound revealed no heartbeat|natural m/c and d&c 7.25.13

All are welcome

• Loading the player...
  • imagechrismo1013:
    just curious... why is it your hubby's decision?  i'm really curious about this topic b/c i just started thinking about it and debating it with my husband.

Mainly because I'm not a man. haha. I was raised Christian, so by faith I believe in circumcision. But I've never had a penis or experienced what it might be like to worry about what a woman will think about it, so I just figured my husband would be better equipped to make that decision. Luckly, he believes in circumcision as well, so theres never been much discussion about it. =)

• How is this post going to stir up drama? Each couple will make their own personal decision to circumcise or not. No one's decision is right or wrong. We will circumcise mainly for the health benefits.
    imageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I pretty much left it up to DH as well, as I don't really have a strong opinion either way. If we have any boys they will be circumcised.
    image  image
    Carina 12.28.2010 | Aurelia 9.23.12 | Chart - Round 3
  • We've already discussed--we will choose to circumcise. DH is a nurse and has made this decision after seeing so many disgusting infections on men's penises (especially as they get older) who have not been circumcised.

To each their own. This is just our decision.

• I didn't circumcise and wouldn't do it to any future children.
    Me 41  DH 33  Married 09/03/2011
    DD1  EDD 08/18/01, born 08/03/2001 ~ 9lbs 10oz, 21.5 in
    DS1  EDD 4/30/2004, born 05/04/2004 ~ 10lbs, 22 in
    mc 02/14/12 @ 5 weeks
    DD2  EDD 12/25/12, born 12/30/12 ~ 10lbs 11oz, 21.25 in
    mc 12/05/15 @ 12 weeks
    Cautiously expecting 12/02/16

• imageDemoDoll:
    How is this post going to stir up drama? Each couple will make their own personal decision to circumcise or not. No one's decision is right or wrong. We will circumcise mainly for the health benefits.

you should see the drama stuff like this starts on the tri boards.  

• Circumcise. We agreed on that. I remember a boy in high school getting made fun of by ex gfs because he wasn't circumcised, and that kind of stuck with me for some reason.
  • imageDemoDoll:
    How is this post going to stir up drama? Each couple will make their own personal decision to circumcise or not. No one's decision is right or wrong. We will circumcise mainly for the health benefits.

Eh.  It can be a pretty touchy subject.

DD born 6.13.11 at 37w5d

DS born 5.23.12 at 36w5d

All are welcome

• imageGhostMonkey:

DS was supposed to be. Once he is repaired he will be.

Any future sons will be as well. After weighing the pros/cons, it's the side of the fence we ended on.

Repaired?

DD born 6.13.11 at 37w5d

DS born 5.23.12 at 36w5d

All are welcome

• imageSchruteBucks:
    I didn't circumcise and wouldn't do it to any future children.

agian, just curious, what is your reason?  fwiw, i will not either. 

DD born 6.13.11 at 37w5d

DS born 5.23.12 at 36w5d

All are welcome

• imageAliciaS1411:

imagechrismo1013:
    just curious... why is it your hubby's decision?  i'm really curious about this topic b/c i just started thinking about it and debating it with my husband.

Mainly because I'm not a man. haha. I was raised Christian, so by faith I believe in circumcision. But I've never had a penis or experienced what it might be like to worry about what a woman will think about it, so I just figured my husband would be better equipped to make that decision. Luckly, he believes in circumcision as well, so theres never been much discussion about it. =)

ok fair enough :)

DD born 6.13.11 at 37w5d

DS born 5.23.12 at 36w5d

All are welcome

• My DH is but our son is not.  If our next one were to be a boy we would not.  The main reason for us to choose this is because my DH isn't very sensitive in that region and he believes it is because he was circumcised.  I believe the latest stats say that only 60% of newborns are circumcised.  So it is becoming more equalized.
  • imagechrismo1013:

imageSchruteBucks:

agian, just curious, what is your reason? fwiw, i will not either.

I have several.  I spent about 5 months researching both sides of the issue when I found out I was having a boy and after weighing everything I just couldn't come up with a good reason to do it.  We're Christians so we don't have a religious reason to do it.  There are no health benefits to it and no national or international medical association recommends routine circumcision (ie. AMA, APA, WHO, etc.).  So, for me, it came down to being an elective cosmetic surgery and decided against it. 

ETA Quote fail

mc 02/14/12 @ 5 weeks
    mc 12/05/15 @ 12 weeks

• First off, I believe that the reason that "only 60% of newborns are circumcised" is because most patients don't realize that most insurance doesn't cover it. OB's never tell them and they don't have the cash (between 200-400 bucks) to do it. Not to say that some people just don't want to do it, but that is def. a stumbling block for many.

I am now a peds nurse practitioner and those same people (who couldn't afford it) come to my office desiring circumcision (and can generally get it covered by insurance for a diagnosis of phimosis) Their babies are put under general anesthesia and it is a much more traumatic and risky experience (IMO). Makes me crazy!!! Especially when these women in labor are on cell phones and covered in tattoos but don't have 300 bucks to their name.

My son is circumcised and if I have more they will be too. For me it's for health reasons and personal preference.

TTC #3 since Feb 2014 DS 1: 2010 DS 2: 2012
  • imageSchruteBucks:

imagechrismo1013:

imageSchruteBucks:

I have several.  I spent about 5 months researching both sides of the issue when I found out I was having a boy and after weighing everything I just couldn't come up with a good reason to do it.  We're Christians so we don't have a religious reason to do it.  There are no health benefits to it and no national or international medical association recommends routine circumcision (ie. AMA, APA, WHO, etc.).  So, for me, it came down to being an elective cosmetic surgery and decided against it. 

ETA Quote fail

ok yeah that's pretty much my reasoning, too.  before i had a baby i may have just done it w/o much thought, but now that i am a mom (to a girl) i definitely am not comfortable with it.  since i am ttc and may very well end up with a boy i have done a lot of research and there really is no convincing evidence in favor of it.  thanks for your input.

DD born 6.13.11 at 37w5d

DS born 5.23.12 at 36w5d

All are welcome

• Just my opinion, but I'm not convinced about health issues being a concern for the non-circumcised these days.  If there is a concern with personal hygiene, maybe... but I'm pretty sure most parents would think to teach their boys how to keep their man parts clean and the importance of doing so.  MH was not circumcised and has never had any health related issues; also can't say that I know anyone who has had any either.  But, this is certainly a 'to each their own' topic and every parent will do what they feel is right/best for their child - and at the end of the day, that's what matters Smile.  With that said, we would not go the circumcision route.
  • imagetriagain2:

First off, I believe that the reason that "only 60% of newborns are circumcised" is because most patients don't realize that most insurance doesn't cover it. OB's never tell them and they don't have the cash (between 200-400 bucks) to do it. Not to say that some people just don't want to do it, but that is def. a stumbling block for many.

I am now a peds nurse practitioner and those same people (who couldn't afford it) come to my office desiring circumcision (and can generally get it covered by insurance for a diagnosis of phimosis) Their babies are put under general anesthesia and it is a much more traumatic and risky experience (IMO). Makes me crazy!!! Especially when these women in labor are on cell phones and covered in tattoos but don't have 300 bucks to their name.

My son is circumcised and if I have more they will be too. For me it's for health reasons and personal preference.

thats a good point. We'll definitely have to make sure our insurance covers it. We're lucky to have really good insurance though.  

• Not doing it. I don't need to explain my reasons and I don't care about why/why not others choose to do it. I will say that our insurance does not cover it because it is considered an elective cosmetic surgery and we don't want to spend the $500 to pay for it. There are other reasons of course but this does tip [no pun intended lol] the favor towards not doing it.

That being said we already have 2 girls and haven't had to deal with it. It'd be nice if #3 was a girl and this is something that we never have to think about haha ;-) 

2 losses
    2 beautiful children
    proud mommy!
  • imagetriagain2:

First off, I believe that the reason that "only 60% of newborns are circumcised" is because most patients don't realize that most insurance doesn't cover it. OB's never tell them and they don't have the cash (between 200-400 bucks) to do it. Not to say that some people just don't want to do it, but that is def. a stumbling block for many.

maybe it's just my mood tonight, but what's wrong with a women in labor covered in tattoos?  also when i was in labor i was on my cell phone with family.  is there something wrong with that? 

DD born 6.13.11 at 37w5d

DS born 5.23.12 at 36w5d

All are welcome

• Any future sons will definitely be circumcised! Reasons being, hubby is, its healthier, easier to clean, easier for a boy to clean himself, and looks better. Im not saying uncircumcised is unhealthly, but the skin makes it easy for bacteria and germs to cause infections. My mom told me a horror story about a family friend who's three year old son literally almost lost his boy part. His mom didnt clean it and never taught him how to clean it and it almost rotted off. He then had to get circumcised at three years old! How horrible!!!!!!

• imagechrismo1013:
    imagetriagain2:

maybe it's just my mood tonight, but what's wrong with a women in labor covered in tattoos?  also when i was in labor i was on my cell phone with family.  is there something wrong with that? 

I think she meant they can afford tattoos and cell phones, but cant afford a circumcision.

• imagechrismo1013:
    imagetriagain2:

I think she means they have the money for tattoos and phones, but not to pay the money to have their baby circumcised.

TTC #1 05/2011- 04/2012; TTA  05/12- 05/14 due to DH health problems, nursing school. TTC #1 (again) since 05/2014. CP 08/04/14 at 4w3d 

• imageMrsTownsend8136:

Any future sons will definitely be circumcised! Reasons being, hubby is, its healthier, easier to clean, easier for a boy to clean himself, and looks better. Im not saying uncircumcised is unhealthly, but the skin makes it easy for bacteria and germs to cause infections. My mom told me a horror story about a family friend who's three year old son literally almost lost his boy part. His mom didnt clean it and never taught him how to clean it and it almost rotted off. He then had to get circumcised at three years old! How horrible!!!!!!

sounds like they forcibly retracted the foreskin prematurely...

DD born 6.13.11 at 37w5d

DS born 5.23.12 at 36w5d

All are welcome

• imageMrsTownsend8136:

Any future sons will definitely be circumcised! Reasons being, hubby is, its healthier, easier to clean, easier for a boy to clean himself, and looks better. Im not saying uncircumcised is unhealthly, but the skin makes it easy for bacteria and germs to cause infections. My mom told me a horror story about a family friend who's three year old son literally almost lost his boy part. His mom didnt clean it and never taught him how to clean it and it almost rotted off. He then had to get circumcised at three years old! How horrible!!!!!!

rest assured that most mothers of uncirc'd boys don't neglect to clean their children thoroughly. Just saying..don't base your opinion of hygiene on this one example.   

2 losses
    2 beautiful children
    proud mommy!
  • imageAp21ril:
    imagechrismo1013:
    imagetriagain2:

I think she means they have the money for tattoos and phones, but not to pay the money to have their baby circumcised.

ok makes more sense

DD born 6.13.11 at 37w5d

DS born 5.23.12 at 36w5d

All are welcome

• imagechrismo1013:
    imagetriagain2:

Yes, i def. meant, they have tattoos and cell phones but cannot afford a circumcision, I love tattoos and cell phones, even better, tattoos of cell phones. lol

• imagetriagain2:
    imagechrismo1013:
    imagetriagain2:

Yes, i def. meant, they have tattoos and cell phones but cannot afford a circumcision, I love tattoos and cell phones, even better, tattoos of cell phones. lol

got it :)  it def is my mood tonight!

DD born 6.13.11 at 37w5d

DS born 5.23.12 at 36w5d

All are welcome

• imagechrismo1013:
    imageSchruteBucks:

imagechrismo1013:

imageSchruteBucks:

ETA Quote fail

ok yeah that's pretty much my reasoning, too.  before i had a baby i may have just done it w/o much thought, but now that i am a mom (to a girl) i definitely am not comfortable with it.  since i am ttc and may very well end up with a boy i have done a lot of research and there really is no convincing evidence in favor of it.  thanks for your input.

Thanks for asking :)  It's a topic I'm pretty passionate about.

mc 02/14/12 @ 5 weeks
    mc 12/05/15 @ 12 weeks

• imageearthboundmisfit:
    imageMrsTownsend8136:

rest assured that most mothers of uncirc'd boys don't neglect to clean their children thoroughly. Just saying..don't base your opinion of hygiene on this one example.   

Im not basing it off of that. That women didnt have very good parenting skills and she obviously didnt practice good hygiene. Just sharing a story my mom told me. My husband and I both think its cleaner, healthier, and easier.

• imagetriagain2:
    imagechrismo1013:
    imagetriagain2:

Hmm well how can you assume that they can't afford a circumcision but they are spending their money on other things? you have NO clue how old those tattoos are. And considering that it's been [hopefully] at least 9 months since they have gotten one..a lot can change financially in that time, especially when someone is having a baby. And you can't really compare a one time 500 circ bill to a 40 or less cell phone bill [especially considering that most people sign 2 year contracts at a time that are really expensive to get out of]. Those are just unfair assumptions. I have tattoos but my newest one is over 2 years old..so if I come in and can't afford a circ bill, do you really think it's because I just got a new tattoo? lol..no. Also consider that in a lot of states, Medicaid will not cover the cost of a circumcision. In my state 50% of births are paid for by Medicaid. So maybe these mothers are truly paying for it when they can afford it..be that at birth, 3 months later, or 3 years later. You can never make assumptions about a persons financial life, regardless of how things "look" like on the outside.  

2 losses
    2 beautiful children
    proud mommy!
  • imageon_a_whim:
    Just my opinion, but I'm not convinced about health issues being a concern for the non-circumcised these days.  If there is a concern with personal hygiene, maybe... but I'm pretty sure most parents would think to teach their boys how to keep their man parts clean and the importance of doing so.  MH was not circumcised and has never had any health related issues; also can't say that I know anyone who has had any either.  But, this is certainly a 'to each their own' topic and every parent will do what they feel is right/best for their child - and at the end of the day, that's what matters Smile.  With that said, we would not go the circumcision route.

This.

DH will choose circumcision for our child though, even though he is not.

(& FWIW, DH's parents are Christian & I don't believe that making the decision to not circumcise your child makes you any less of a Christian).

TTC#1 Oct 2010
    DS born May 2013
    TFAS Feb 2016
    EDD 07/29/2017
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageLovestruckAJ:

imageon_a_whim:
    Just my opinion, but I'm not convinced about health issues being a concern for the non-circumcised these days.  If there is a concern with personal hygiene, maybe... but I'm pretty sure most parents would think to teach their boys how to keep their man parts clean and the importance of doing so.  MH was not circumcised and has never had any health related issues; also can't say that I know anyone who has had any either.  But, this is certainly a 'to each their own' topic and every parent will do what they feel is right/best for their child - and at the end of the day, that's what matters Smile.  With that said, we would not go the circumcision route.

This.

(& FWIW, DH's parents are Christian & I don't believe that making the decision to not circumcise your child makes you any less of a Christian).

This.  It's an Old Testament/Jewish covenant.  The New Testament frees us from the old covenants.  There are several passages in the New Testament that address circumcision.

mc 02/14/12 @ 5 weeks
    mc 12/05/15 @ 12 weeks

• imageearthboundmisfit:
    imagetriagain2:
    imagechrismo1013:
    imagetriagain2:

Hmm well how can you assume that they can't afford a circumcision but they are spending their money on other things? you have NO clue how old those tattoos are. And considering that it's been [hopefully] at least 9 months since they have gotten one..a lot can change financially in that time, especially when someone is having a baby. And you can't really compare a one time 500 circ bill to a 40 or less cell phone bill [especially considering that most people sign 2 year contracts at a time that are really expensive to get out of]. Those are just unfair assumptions. I have tattoos but my newest one is over 2 years old..so if I come in and can't afford a circ bill, do you really think it's because I just got a new tattoo? lol..no. Also consider that in a lot of states, Medicaid will not cover the cost of a circumcision. In my state 50% of births are paid for by Medicaid. So maybe these mothers are truly paying for it when they can afford it..be that at birth, 3 months later, or 3 years later. You can never make assumptions about a persons financial life, regardless of how things "look" like on the outside.  

My point is not to be judgemental, although I would agree my post sounds somewhat judgemental. I work in a urban clinic and 99% of my patients are on medicaid or without insurance. I am very much aware of the disenfranchised population and the struggles involved for those financially desperate. I also come from extremely humble beginnings.

That being said, the type of patient I was referencing in my post does exist and you cannot deny it. I did not say all people who do not have $300 dollars to their name are finanically irresponsible. I was pointing out that sometimes children suffer because their parents make irresponsible choices. My example of tattoos and cell phones was merely illustrative. If you do believe me on that front, you probably do not work in healthcare. I believe few people who work in healthcare would argue with me.

• imageSchruteBucks:
    imageLovestruckAJ:

imageon_a_whim:

This.

This.  It's an Old Testament/Jewish covenant.  The New Testament frees us from the old covenants.  There are several passages in the New Testament that address circumcision.

Lurking here tonight.

I just have to say that I LOVE your SN SchruteBucks. Awesome. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicTTC #1 since April '11.- BFP 7/3/11! - EDD 3/13/12 - Dean born 3/15/12! - Lovely Labor Buddies with PsychGirl33!! <3 </br> Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We will circumcise. I am a nurse and have seen some narly infections.
  • I'm for it.
  • Ive always thought circumcision was the norm. Personally, I don't have any religious ties to it but I feel it's a decision my husband was adamant about (and I was as well) because of aesthetic and hygienic reasons. First, as a woman I prefer that DH is circumcised....I've never seen otherwise except in pictures on google (i was curious...) and let me say, it's a bit shocking to see a penis uncircumcised. I know a few guys who have had it done later in life because it caused them problems with confidence and self esteem... They are afraid women won't like it, and alot of times they are right. Secondly, an uncircumcised penis involves more maintenance and can become infected if it's not cleaned right. Overall I wouldnt want DS to have to deal with any of that if we could prevent it with a simple snip he'll never remember. I recall being kind of upset in the hospaitsl when they took him away to do it, because I didn't want to cause him pain, but you can choose to give him Tylenol and it didn't seem to bother him too much. When he came back he was fast asleep looking cozy & calm. I say just do it unless your beliefs say otherwise...
    sweet baby boy ryan born 6/24/09
    TTC since 8/09 . MC 1/15/10 @ 7w4d // 6/2/10 @ 8w2d
    TTC with no menstrual cycle since 6/10, finally got one 8/25/11 :)
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • imageSheenaNash1:

Lurking here tonight.

I just have to say that I LOVE your SN SchruteBucks. Awesome. 

Thanks!  You can't go wrong with Dwight Big Smile

mc 02/14/12 @ 5 weeks
    mc 12/05/15 @ 12 weeks

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"