Postpartum Depression

What kind of Dr to see for PPD?

I know if I see my OB he's going to just prescribe meds and since I'm BFing I really don't want to take anything now.  Do I necessarily have to see him first, or should I just go see a therapist?  And - what kind of therapist - psychologist, psychiatrist??  I was looking up Dr's in my area but I really don't know what kind of therapist I should see....

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: What kind of Dr to see for PPD?

• Hi. 

First, many doctors will tell you that you can safely take meds while BF. I just want to put that out there. Some are widely considered safe, although of course that's up to you.

Okay, so, if you decide you still don't want to do meds, and even if you do, therapy can be extremely helpful.

You don't "have" to see your OB first, but your OB may be a good source of recommendations for therapists who are good with PPD. In fact, I would guess that most OB offices have a standard panel of therapists they can recommend.

In terms of what kind of doctor -- some psychiatrists do therapy as well as medication management. Some psychiatrists only do medication management (short sessions to monitor you and the meds, but not therapy-focused).  There are a lot of terms:  psychotherapist, psychologist, LCSW (licensed clinical social worker), Masters-level therapist, etc, etc. That's another reason to ask your OB or else your primary care doc for a recommendation.

In the meantime, there's this awesome though quiet board here that can help support you!

Mama to 2 late-term preemies (7/10 & 11/12) due to HELLP Syndrome.
  • thanks for the tips - I think I will call my OB to get some recommendations.  I've been somewhat in denial about all this, but I think it's time to get some help...
  • image valeivegas:
    thanks for the tips - I think I will call my OB to get some recommendations.  I've been somewhat in denial about all this, but I think it's time to get some help...

Good -- I'm glad you're going to do something. Life with depression = sucky. Can you call right now while you're on a roll?

Let us know what happens.

• Just got back from my OB (they were able to get me in quick today!).  He recommended a therapist & also suggested I take Zoloft..  I know he said it's safe to take while BFing but I'm still worried about passing it along to DS..
  • I did BF while on Zoloft!  I was also seeing a lactation consultant at the time, and she pulled out that huge 5 pound book, you know, the one that lists all medications ever made?   The entry it had for zoloft went something like this:

safe, only one reported account of a very sleepy baby while mother was on zoloft, though could have been coincidental.

Having that detail made me feel a little bit better than the standard "oh, this one is safe during BF"

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image ksspiff:

I did BF while on Zoloft!  I was also seeing a lactation consultant at the time, and she pulled out that huge 5 pound book, you know, the one that lists all medications ever made?   The entry it had for zoloft went something like this:

safe, only one reported account of a very sleepy baby while mother was on zoloft, though could have been coincidental.

Having that detail made me feel a little bit better than the standard "oh, this one is safe during BF"

Me too -- and I took it throughout my entire pregnancy.

• I also took Zoloft during my pregnancy and since I have been BF'ing.  It's safe!

Does either your employer or husbands employer offer an Employee Assistance Program?  A lot of times they will get you set up with someone who will help you and also give you some free sessions.  My employer covers 6 sessions per person, so I can have 6, DH can have 6 or we can go for 6 sessions of couples counseling.  I would check into that.

image April 2, 2011 Exclusive Pumping Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/groups/113592028761826/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Glad you called your OB. I have been taking Zoloft and BFing since my daughter was about a month. It took me quite a few weeks after getting the prescription to actually start taking the meds. I was also nervous, thats a normal reaction, but taking the meds has been so worth it.
    IMG_1313.jpg IMG_1351.jpg
    ERD 01.16.11

Surviving postpartum depression & OCD one day at a time.
    Also experienced antenatal OCD.
    Feel free to ask me questions about my experience.
  • It is good that you are looking for help. PPD may lead to major depression and even psychosis if not managed properly. A therapist is a good way to start. Zoloft and pregnancy are usually the combination that most women avoid. Although breastfeeding may be okay.