September 2011 Moms
Options

How to nicely say please leave me alone? Entertaining/socializing at 40 weeks? sorry, a bit of a ven

I'm 40w5d. My DH and I are lucky to have a supportive group of family and friends and they are very excited to meet our LO. Emphasis on very.

Maternity leave just started last week for me, and I was looking forward to a little me time. Lazily read a book? Attempt getting crafty?  Yes, please! Instead, I've been on a rather exhausting schedule of visits, fielding phone calls, errands and projects. I didn't plan to be busy, it just sorta happened. And everywhere I go, I hear the laundry list of things I should do go into labor.

Yesterday, I was informed that DH had invited a group of friends over for a "casual dinner."  I'M POOPED and CRANKY, but I don't want to be that girl who calls off a party. So I cooked food. I ran errands. And today I get to clean up the big ole mess.

I feel bad being upset at my loved ones who mean well and just want to celebrate this new chapter of life with us. I think they honestly think they are doing me a favor by keeping me busy.

Anyone have any tips on how to nicely say "Please leave me alone, I'd rather be a hermit than speak/hang out with/do things for you today."

Thanks, and sorry for the rant :)

Re: How to nicely say please leave me alone? Entertaining/socializing at 40 weeks? sorry, a bit of a ven

• Options

For starters I would get your DH on board. If he invited people over he should at least help with the cooking and cleaning.

I would just tell people you can not talk, go out, etc. Stop answering the phone. 

imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Definitely talk to your DH about it! You totally deserve some resting time/ time to yourself before LO arrives!

If it's the in-laws keeping you so busy, I would make DH say some thing (nicely)

If it's my own family, when they asked me how I'm doing, I would casually say something like "doing fine, just can't wait til (tomorrow, next week, etc) when I can sit around the house and be lazy for once!" I don't think anyone would take that as you not wanting to spend time with them, but they would hopefully get the hint :)

photo 22e3a93e-8933-4ed0-acf4-72665341621b_zpsd73ca8f6.jpgp>

"What did my fingers do before they held you? What did my heart do with it's love?"

CafeMom Tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Tell them it's "doctor's orders" that you get as much rest as possible before your labor starts-no company, just relaxing.  They don't have to know that you're the doctor.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I feel for you.  It can seem like everyone thinks this is one big party.  What they forget is pregnancy can take a huge toll on a woman's body. 

I agree with the pp's, you should start by talking to your DH.  My DH knew from the get-go that once I stopped working, it was going to be relaxing/me-time.  His mother just flew in this weekend and knowing I was going to be off work told him that she would stay with me to "keep me company".  I don't want company.  He spoke to her and thankfully she's now staying with a friend.  It sounds really selfish and I hope she's not hurt by it but we're going to have visitors coming out of the woodwork after this baby comes and I don't think it's too much to ask for a little me time. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"