September 2011 Moms
Options

I guess my marriage is over...(sad)

Re: I guess my marriage is over...(sad)

• Options
    imagecamedowncrushing:
    imageflamom92:

No animal should be outside????  Okay, what about the one's that live there?  Did all the birds and squirrels drop dead? I live in Florida, It gets this hot every summer.  My dog LIVES outside, we do not bring him in for a/c just because it's summer time.  He has plenty of shade, a dog house, and water... he's survived the heat for 7 years.  There's nothing wrong with putting a dog outside while you leave as long as they have shade and water.  I personally hate to see a dog on a chain, but if you don't have a fenced in area for them sometimes there is no alternative.

Your dog lives outside in the hot Florida heat?  That makes me sick.  Why would you even bother to get a dog if he "lives outside"??? You won't bring him for the a/c because it gets hot?  That is just cruel, and it turns my stomach.  

This. Don't have a dog if you're just going to chain it up outside.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    There is a whole lot of wrong here. You both are responsible if you both chain your family member outside. He is way out of line with his response to you. NEVER ever chain a dog up or any animal for that fact.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Honestly why would you ever tie a dog up outside in this heat! I have 2 dogs & they won't stay out for more than 2 minutes and then come in panting. I'm sorry but you said in one of your earlier posts that it wasn't your fault....whose fault was it? At least take ownership of your mistake and don't make excuses for yourself. It was very irresponsible of you to leave an animal outside in this weather. Yes, mistakes always happen, but this accident was your fault. I do not think your marriage is over as a result, but I hope you guys don't get another dog until it doesn't have to be tied up. I'm so sorry you have to.go through this tragedy:(
  • Options

People need to step off their soapboxes.

I know that animals are a touchy subject with some people. Having had pets my entire life, I know how they become members of the family. I also don't think that she should be getting another dog anytime soon, but ease up.

Yes, the dog should not have been outside. But it was, and a tragedy occured. I get this tragedy was preventable. She gets that the tragedy was preventable. But it happened and now a very pregnant woman is dealing with the aftermath of it.  Unless you have never made a mistake in your life, you really have no place to be so nasty to her. Go back to your own boards.

Also, let's calm down with the abuse talk. Her husband was understandably upset and said things that were absolutely wrong and absolutely said in anger. It must have been very traumatic for him to come home to a dead dog. He has already acknowledged that he was out of line. I still think that they need to have a long conversation about what happened, but they will get through this.

But, god, some of you people are so freaking holier than thou.

• Options
    imagemollybloom:

Yes, the dog should not have been outside. But it was, and a tragedy occured. I get this tragedy was preventable. She gets that the tragedy was preventable. But it happened and now a very pregnant woman is dealing with the aftermath of it.  Unless you have never made a mistake in your life, you really have no place to be so nasty to her. Go back to your own boards.

Psssst. Some of us have been pregnant. Yet we never killed our dogs. 

imagemollybloom:

Go back to your own boards.

No.

• Options
    imageMrsMichelleB:
    imagemollybloom:

I know that animals are a touchy subject with some people. Having had pets my entire life, I know how they become members of the family. I also don't think that she should be getting another dog anytime soon, but ease up.

Also, let's calm down with the abuse talk. Her husband was understandably upset and said things that were absolutely wrong and absolutely said in anger. It must have been very traumatic for him to come home to a dead dog. He has already acknowledged that he was out of line. I still think that they need to have a long conversation about what happened, but they will get through this.

In all honesty Molly, this post has probably been through TB already and we have not seen the nastiest of it yet. Just like the crib post. When someone posts something flame worthy they have to expect the replies given. I don't think Nikki is a bad person at all, but that doesn't stop the fact that the US is under a major heat wave warning right now. I do see this post getting a lot heavier through the night.  

I know it will. I already got a nasty response to what I wrote from someone.

I just feel bad that she is going to get attacked when she already feels so horrible about it. It is a post about her pet dying and some serious trouble in her marriage and people are going to use it as a springboard.

As I have said, I don't think she should be getting a new pet anytime in the near future. But, that wasn't the point of her writing this thread.

BTW, what was the crib thread? There was a good few weeks where I was only one a few times.

• Options
    imagemollybloom:

First of all, this is a public forum, so I'll post any where I damn well please.

Secondly, in her OP, she took no responsibility for this dog's death. The dog should have never been chained up outside in the blistering heat, period, end of story. It died a very horrible death that was entirely preventable.

HeIl, did you see the post yesterday regarding the poster that took her chid out of the carseat while the vehicle was moving? Thankfully, she didn't get into an accident, but she was flamed to high heaven for putting her child into a dangerous situation! Why should this poster get slack (when a life was lost) when yesterday's poster didn't? Because the worst actually happened? I'm sorry, but she doesn't get a free pass on this.

Lastly, he was more than out of line. The hateful & vicious things he said to her never even noticed the line as they sailed on past. Would I be justifiably upset in the same situation? You bet your asss I would. But I would never tell my DH that I hated him, never wanted to see him again, that I hoped he wouldn't starve his child, etc. (unless he acted with malice, in which case he would be out of the house, castrated, & divorced). He needs to learn to deal with his anger & other emotions like an adult instead of a petulant 3-year-old. & she needs to learn to use BOTH of her brain cells before chaining her dog outside during one of the worst heat waves in a century.

• Options
    imageflamom92:

No animal should be outside????  Okay, what about the one's that live there?  Did all the birds and squirrels drop dead? I live in Florida, It gets this hot every summer.  My dog LIVES outside, we do not bring him in for a/c just because it's summer time.  He has plenty of shade, a dog house, and water... he's survived the heat for 7 years.  There's nothing wrong with putting a dog outside while you leave as long as they have shade and water.  I personally hate to see a dog on a chain, but if you don't have a fenced in area for them sometimes there is no alternative.

The alternative is to keep them inside where they are safe.  Crate them inside, whatever.  Dogs are just not physically capable of cooling themselves down enough in this heat, even with water and shade - they have fur and can't sweat the same way we do.  They physically can't pant hard enough to cool themselves off.    

This is a dangerous heat wave - 22 PEOPLE have died this week from heatstroke, etc. (first link).  And no, it is not as hot in Florida as it is in the rest of the country affected by the heatwave (second link) - but you still should not leave your dog out, especially on a chain.  Also, birds have a normal temperature of 108-110 degrees, so they can survive heat like this; squirrels have more efficient cooling mechanisms because they are small, etc. (third link).  Farmers have lots of animals that are normally outside, and they have to work really hard to keep the animals cool with water, fans, ice, in this heat (fourth link).  Finally, it is all over the news for people in affected areas to keep as cool as possible and keep their animals inside and cool.  I am very sorry for the death of OP's dog, but she (and maybe her husband) completely ignored all the warnings and did not have the common sense to realize that the dog was in danger and take steps to avoid killing her.  It would make me seriously concerned about her ability to keep a kid out of danger if I were her spouse - I know that is a flammable thing to say, but lots of parents make horrible mistakes with kids as well because they don't think things through.  I hope she recognizes that she (and perhaps her husband) made a horrible mistake here and should not have any more outside pets (and if they can't learn from this mistake, no pets at all).   

And now you can all commence feeling sorry for my husband, but he is very happy that our entire family is safe and inside our house tonight.   

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/23/nyregion/heat-wave-envelops-the-northeast.html?_r=1

https://www2.tbo.com/news/breaking-news/2011/jul/22/5/tampa-area-escaping-heat-wave-in-northern-states-ar-245636/ 

https://www.slate.com/id/2259795/ 

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/22/heat-wave-2011-animals_n_906597.html

https://www.kwqc.com/Global/story.asp?S=15117660 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageMrsMichelleB:
    imagemollybloom:
    imageMrsMichelleB:
    imagemollybloom:

I know it will. I already got a nasty response to what I wrote from someone.

I just feel bad that she is going to get attacked when she already feels so horrible about it. It is a post about her pet dying and some serious trouble in her marriage and people are going to use it as a springboard.

As I have said, I don't think she should be getting a new pet anytime in the near future. But, that wasn't the point of her writing this thread.

BTW, what was the crib thread? There was a good few weeks where I was only one a few times.

Don't sweat the crib post. It was way back when we first got BFP's. I doubt it's even retrievable now.

As for Punky's response to you... I have to say I don't think she was being nasty, just honest. I've "known" of Punky from way back at TTGP days and she's not bad either. I think people have strong opinions on the subject and they are going to voice them. It is TB after all.  

They are going to voice them, I agree. People have very strong opinions about animals, I get it. My initial reaction to this thread was quite different than what I posted to her. In my opinion, flaming her and making her feel bad would serve no purpose.

I will say that this was not Nikki's first go around with this topic on here and part of her should have known a little better than to post this. 

• Options
    imageMrsMichelleB:
    imageWaitingOnTwoPinkLines:
    imagemollybloom:

HeIl, did you see the post yesterday regarding the poster that took her chid out of the carseat while the vehicle was moving? Thankfully, she didn't get into an accident, but she was flamed to high heaven for putting her child into a dangerous situation! Why should this poster get slack (when a life was lost) when yesterday's poster didn't? Because the worst actually happened? I'm sorry, but she doesn't get a free pass on this.

oooooooHHHHHHH. Linky please? I am very bored.  

Here's a link to the run-down. Some of it might have been DD'd. 

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/55993893.aspx 

• Options
    imageJoBieger05:
    imagecamedowncrushing:
    imageflamom92:

Your dog lives outside in the hot Florida heat?  That makes me sick.  Why would you even bother to get a dog if he "lives outside"??? You won't bring him for the a/c because it gets hot?  That is just cruel, and it turns my stomach.  

This. Don't have a dog if you're just going to chain it up outside.

I don't think I would ever brag about leaving a dog in the Florida heat. I live in the mountains in Colorado, and leaving my dogs out in a blizzard in the winter would be an equivocal scenario of leaving a dog in a heat wave. In either case, it's not justifiable. 

@ OP: I'm sorry about your loss and the pain the anger of your husband caused. It's really an unfortunate and regrettable scenario all around. Good luck getting through this time in your relationship and your pregnancy.

• Options
    imagedusk42:
    imageflamom92:

The alternative is to keep them inside where they are safe.  Crate them inside, whatever.  Dogs are just not physically capable of cooling themselves down enough in this heat, even with water and shade - they have fur and can't sweat the same way we do.  They physically can't pant hard enough to cool themselves off.    

This is a dangerous heat wave - 22 PEOPLE have died this week from heatstroke, etc. (first link).  And no, it is not as hot in Florida as it is in the rest of the country affected by the heatwave (second link) - but you still should not leave your dog out, especially on a chain.  Also, birds have a normal temperature of 108-110 degrees, so they can survive heat like this; squirrels have more efficient cooling mechanisms because they are small, etc. (third link).  Farmers have lots of animals that are normally outside, and they have to work really hard to keep the animals cool with water, fans, ice, in this heat (fourth link).  Finally, it is all over the news for people in affected areas to keep as cool as possible and keep their animals inside and cool.  I am very sorry for the death of OP's dog, but she (and maybe her husband) completely ignored all the warnings and did not have the common sense to realize that the dog was in danger and take steps to avoid killing her.  It would make me seriously concerned about her ability to keep a kid out of danger if I were her spouse - I know that is a flammable thing to say, but lots of parents make horrible mistakes with kids as well because they don't think things through.  I hope she recognizes that she (and perhaps her husband) made a horrible mistake here and should not have any more outside pets (and if they can't learn from this mistake, no pets at all).   

And now you can all commence feeling sorry for my husband, but he is very happy that our entire family is safe and inside our house tonight.   

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/23/nyregion/heat-wave-envelops-the-northeast.html?_r=1

https://www2.tbo.com/news/breaking-news/2011/jul/22/5/tampa-area-escaping-heat-wave-in-northern-states-ar-245636/ 

https://www.slate.com/id/2259795/ 

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/22/heat-wave-2011-animals_n_906597.html

https://www.kwqc.com/Global/story.asp?S=15117660 

Yes

• Options
    I am really sorry about your dog and the entire situation. Glad to hear that DH wised up and calmed down. Things will be okay. The last thing you need is flames from strangers on the internet. I am sure you feel badly about the accident already. *hugs*
  • Options
    kcl22kcl22 member
    imagePunkyBooster:
    imageWaitingOnTwoPinkLines:

& this is why you don't chain dogs up outside. Unless you live in Antarctica, it's bloody HOT outside. You are both to blame for thinking that it was OK to leave the dog outside in the first place!

Regardless of how your marriage turns out, please, seriously re-evaluate your lifestyle (especially since you are having a baby) before you get another dog. Heatstroke is one of the absolute worst ways to die, & is entirely preventable. 

Uh yeah. This.

I guess I'm in the minority. But I don't blame your DH one bit for saying the things he said to you. You deserved it.

Thank you.  THANK YOU!  I feel bad for the dog in this situation, no one else if you both are okay with leaving pup outside in this heat.  Ridiculous.

• Options
    imagesmorzandoj:

I may be in the minority here but I really don't see this as an accident....at least if you are living in a part of the country (which is the majority of the country today) that is in a heat wave.  Here in Baltimore at 7pm the heat index is 115 degrees and that is not the heat of the day which is when you left your dog outside.  Even with access to water there is no guarantee that the dog would have lived.

I am sorry you lost your dog and your husband was a butt head but honestly I think you need to reevaluate having a dog if you put them outside in this heat. 

This! Honestly, OP - WTF were you thinking?! Even with water, there is a good chance the dog would have died. I can't believe you think its acceptable to leave an animal outside in that kind of heat. I feel sick to my stomach about that poor dog. If I were your husband, I would be LIVID. Yeah, I probably wouldn't want to see you for a few days. I'd be PISSED! If my husband did something like that, I don't know what I'd do. I'd tell him to get out and find a place to stay until I cool down.

I hope you smarten up before your baby gets here and that you exercise a little more common sense with your child's safety than you did that dog. Indifferent

• Options

Yeah, so you've acknowledged that the dog was like a family member, and was your H's "other woman," therefore- you killed a family member. He has a right to be effing furious.

You should apologize profusely and accept responsibility for what you did, accident or not. Don't make excuses and blame it on the chain. Own up like an adult, and get your issues sorted out before your baby arrives.

• Options

I haven't had a chance to read all of the replies here, but, wow, that is horrible.

Do you live in the heat wave areas, too? It's been a heat index of 115 around here. Do you both leave the dog outside sometimes on the chain? Because that truly is really dangerous right now. Especially, considering that any slight variation could kill the dog...like the unforseen inability to reach any water. 

I know it was an accident and you are pregnant and probably have a lot on your mind, too, but it really was a terrible thing that happened. To any living creature, that is pretty bad, and the fact that the dog meant so much to your husband.....it's just awful. He probably feels incredibly sick, sad and really confused. The grief alone would be so bad...especially when his mind will think about how the dog died and that it was you that made the terrible mistake. 

I really would apologize so much. It probably will take awhile. I do think he should remember that you are carrying his baby, but honestly right now the best place for him probably is away from you for awhile. It's just going to be so much to digest. But, again, if that was me, I truly would apologize so much and if that was a common thing for both of you to do, I would definitely try to learn together that it was dangerous to begin with, so if he was hurrying, it possibly could have happened to him to.

I know we are all human and you probably feel bad and you don't want to beat yourself, especially while pregnant. But do try to learn from it and to mourn for his dog and for him.....because I just can't imagine that happening to one of my most beloved pets. I did lose one once on  the road and he died at the vet's office, and I will never forget it and it still makes me cry.

No, I don't love my dog as much as I love my child, but that truly was such a terrible loss for me and it broke my heart.....I can imagine that the only thing worse would be to lose a child. I can't imagine because losing the dog...and losing him in a terrible way... was horrendous. 

BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    He's upset, sure. He has a right to be upset over the death of his dog. However, he has crossed a line. You didn't purposely kill his dog. For him to bring your child and your future ability as a mother into this is just plain wrong. I would never be able to forgive DH for saying thins like that to me, said in anger or not. It is wrong and cannot be taken back.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    zyaszyas member

Oh my goodness, I feel so awful for you. First of all I will say I am a huge animal lover and my dogs mean the world to me, they are my children. I have chosen them over previous relationships with a couple men as they didn't treat my dogs well. HOWEVER, you did not intentionally do anything to your dog. I know you did not intend anything bad to happen to it. Also I have a hard time believing that the dog would die being outside for only 2 hours. I work outside in the heat (Chicago heatwave this past week) and I work with animals who are also outside all day. Did she possibly get tangled up and strangle herself? Whatever happened, it was a freak accident and I know you feel responsible but you need to realize it's not entirely your fault. If your husband had been home and had to go out for a couple hours, would he have not put her outside just as you did? Was this not something you guys did everyday? This just happened to be a tragic thing.

Now if this had happened to one of my dogs, and it was my husband who had put it outside, I will be honest here and I would probably freak out (ok I know I would) and blame my husband right away as your husband did to you. He is upset and is freaking out and not thinking rationally right now cause he is so distraught. He is not thinking that you are devastated as well. I'm sure he will come around and apologize to you as soon as he calms down and starts thinking properly again.  We all say things we don't mean in the heat of the moment.

Take a deep breath and stay as calm as you can. I'm sure things will be ok soon. I'm so so sorry you're going through this, this breaks my heart. 

Hang in there, big hugs to you

• Options

I don't believe you.

Even if your original story is true, the way you said your husband responded later doesn't make sense.

If the story is true, you ARE AT FAULT. THIS WAS YOUR FAULT. YOU KILLED THE DOG.

You do not leave a dog unattended and unwatched outside when you leave the house. You CERTAINLY do not do any of this in this disgusting heat. Your husband should absolutely have reacted the way he did, and if he's taking it back, he's an idiot. 

I am horrified that anyone is telling you that he's choosing the dog over you. Why is it a competition? You showed no regard for a living creature, who you let die a miserable and terrifying death.

If you don't understand that you did this, I truly fear for your child. 

• Options
    zyaszyas member
    imageMassAngel:
    imageflamom92:

It's really sad you think that leaving a dog outside if perfectly acceptable - if you leave it outside all the time, why did you even bother to get a dog?

I totally agree. Dogs don't belong in a doghouse, they belong in a house with their family. Why the hell get a dog if you're going to keep it outside all the time?? Would you like to live outside by yourself all the time? I can't even imagine leaving my dogs outside for more than a little while by themselves. The thought of leaving them outside alone in a yard for even a whole day or a whole night makes me sick.

• Options
    I guess I should have added that I live on a farm.  Our dog is a working dog and not on a chain.  He has shelter and water.  No, I would not bring him inside because it's hot, he is not a house pet.  Nor do I bring in the chickens, horses, goats, or pigs... but they all do have plenty of shelter and water.  I wouldn't know anything about blizzards as we do not have them here, but I do know that some ranchers in Montana allow their dogs to shelter in their barns with extra hay during blizzards, even though the cows have to endure it.  A previous comment said no animal should be left outside.  I was making a point that animals do live outside.  It is people that turn them into pets.  I realize that some people value animals over humans, and that's fine, but there are different points of view on the matter.
  • Options
    Honestly, were you not thinking? It is 100% your fault the dog is dead. You left a defenseless creature in extreme elements with no chance to escape. Poor dog. I do not blame your husband one bit for the things he said. Please, don't treat your baby to the same fate.
  • Options

imagestargazertechie:
    imageflamom92:
    I guess I should have added that I live on a farm.  Our dog is a working dog and not on a chain.  He has shelter and water.  No, I would not bring him inside because it's hot, he is not a house pet.  Nor do I bring in the chickens, horses, goats, or pigs... but they all do have plenty of shelter and water.  I wouldn't know anything about blizzards as we do not have them here, but I do know that some ranchers in Montana allow their dogs to shelter in their barns with extra hay during blizzards, even though the cows have to endure it.  A previous comment said no animal should be left outside.  I was making a point that animals do live outside.  It is people that turn them into pets.  I realize that some people value animals over humans, and that's fine, but there are different points of view on the matter.
    Most working dogs work as a team with their farmer/rancher. Dogs are pack animals, and you are not allowing your dog to be at his 100% by keeping him outside 24/7. Every farmer I know brings their dog in when they aren't working, especially at night.

A Florida farm dog? Really now? Also, it sounds like you have something of a hobby farm judging by the array of animals you listed which leads me to believe you are not on par with Montana ranchers and the decisions they make with their livestock.

• Options

I'm a shameless lurker and I have to say that I am DISGUSTED by the comments left on this post.  Those of you who are slamming this woman for making a mistake should be ashamed of yourself- you are acting like high school mean girls who finally get to be the bully.  She made a mistake!  Yes, it cost the life of a dog, but it was a DOG, not a child.  I fall into the minority here when I disagree that the life of a dog is equal to the life of her unborn child.  That is NOT saying that an animal does not deserve to be treated well, it means that making the mistake of leaving a dog outside in the heat  does not make you a potentially bad parent.

Those of you who have never made a mistake can cast the first stone- the rest of you shut up and sit down.

• Options

Nikki, WTF?! I thought you gave your poor dog back to the breeder? Remember this jewel of a thread? https://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/51639973.aspx

I admit I was pretty horrified that you would give up your dog so easily a couple months ago, but man, I really wish you actually HAD given her up. Seriously, don't get another dog. EVER. 

ETA: I just read through both posts again. So you and your husband had two dogs: one male (about a year and a half) and one female (about 7 or so). You gave the male dog back to his breeder and neglected (accidentally) the female dog. I get it. Sorry, should have read it again before stirring sh!t up. In any case, I still think you should never get another dog. EVER. 

imageimageimage
  • Options
    For the posters in florida who chain their dogs (not the one who lives on a farm and her dog runs free - yes there are farms in florida. Many of them.) Please be advised that there are very strict anti chaining laws in florida. You can only chain for 1 hour, you must be present, chain must be certain length, can't chain puppies, etc. I personally think this law should pass in all states. In the situation described here, there is PLENTY of blame to go around including to the law makers of her state. While tragic, it would be great if op and her husband used this to inspire them to lobby for anti chaining laws. If this had happened in our household, I'm sure I would have reacted in the same was as her husband did. Here is a link (I am not a PETA fan despite being an animal lover but this is the first link that came up and dive its 5 a.m. and I've been awake since 3 with a sick baby this is what you get). https://www.peta.org/b/thepetafiles/archive/2011/03/23/new-florida-law-is-off-the-chain.aspx
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    History of IF and 2.5 years TTC. The day we were to start our first IUI we received a call that changed our lives forever and 10 month old Olivia joined our family. Shortly thereafter we got a surprise BFP and baby 2 is due July 5, 2012

• Options
    imageflamom92:

I bet the OP was saying this until today. 
  • Options

The OP should not misunderstand me- while she did deserve all the things her DH likely said to her for failing to take responsibility for killing his dog (by blaming the chain), her DH is just as big of a POS as she is for the situation. Obviously, chaining this dog was a way of life for these people.

www.dogsdeservebetter.org

• Options
    imagePunkyBooster:

The OP should not misunderstand me- while she did deserve all the things her DH likely said to her for failing to take responsibility for killing his dog (by blaming the chain), her DH is just as big of a POS as she is for the situation. Obviously, chaining this dog was a way of life for these people.

www.dogsdeservebetter.org

This.  There are no winners in this situation.  The OP and her DH should feel bad.  Call it an accident if you want, but car accidents kill people every day.  She and her DH put the dog in this situation and it died.  That shouldn't be something to gloss over or comfort her about.  

People who can't provide basic, common sense care for an animal do not deserve to have children.  

Happy Spring!.
  • Options
    imageMassAngel:
    imageflamom92:

It's really sad you think that leaving a dog outside if perfectly acceptable - if you leave it outside all the time, why did you even bother to get a dog?

My dad and grandpa had dogs that lived outside in a kennel all year round. They were hunting dogs and they were perfectly fine outside in a kennel with a dog box and shade. I have 2 dogs that are strict inside dogs. But there are reasons for having strict outside dogs.  

• Options

imagekellijd:
    Honestly, were you not thinking? It is 100% your fault the dog is dead. You left a defenseless creature in extreme elements with no chance to escape. Poor dog. I do not blame your husband one bit for the things he said. Please, don't treat your baby to the same fate.

Uncalled for! 

• Options
    imagejellybeanmama0929:
    imageMassAngel:
    imageflamom92:

My dad and grandpa had dogs that lived outside in a kennel all year round. They were hunting dogs and they were perfectly fine outside in a kennel with a dog box and shade. I have 2 dogs that are strict inside dogs. But there are reasons for having strict outside dogs.  

Actually, there aren't any good reasons for this.  This is not directed at the OP, because I already offered my two cents on that.  This is directed at the few people who posted "what's wrong with leaving a dog outside all the time?"

The problem is that, for centuries now, domestic dogs have been bred as companions to humans, or at least to be part of a pack.  When you adopt them, you accept a new member into your family and you become their pack.  When you deprive them of that companionship, it is completely against their nature, and it's cruel.  For the life of me, I can't understand why people have dogs when they have no desire to appreciate them for the loving, faithful beings they are.  Dogs can have jobs (hunt, herd, guard, etc.) and still be welcomed into your home.  Any excuse otherwise (i.e. they shed, they're dirty, smelly, badly behaved, etc) is a cop out, and it's lazy.  I feel awful for those poor dogs subjected to that kind of life, but I also sympathize on some level with the people who do this and never get to appreciate the bond that can be created with a dog.

• Options

Okay,

I am completely appalled at the direction this post has taken. I woke up this morning and started reading through everything that every one wrote after I posted and seriously some of you people? Telling her that this is 100% her fault and that she deserved what her husband said to her! FOR F'ing serious? What planet do you people come from.

She had the dog outside with water AND shelter! It wasn't like she threw the dog out there with nothing and said, "Hope you can survive the heat." He had a dog house he could go to for shelter. It was not her fault that his chain got kinked up. That was completely out of her control. She said she has had him out there many times before and his chain has never gotten kinked up.

I know that I just posted this, but I was trying to respond to things that were ridiculous and realized that there were too many to respond to, but my dad and grandpa had hunting dogs that were left outside in a kennel 24/7, 365 days a year and they lived for 10/15/20+ years. There are some dogs that are strict inside dogs and some that are strict outside dogs and some that are both. As long as you keep them properly fed, watered and sheltered they are fine. Animals were made to survive in the wild. We, as humans, have domesticated any and every animal that we possibly can and some of us have taken the ability to survive the wild out of the animal. I said it before and I will say it again...the dog had water, the dog had shelter (meaning a place to escape from the heat) and it was NOT her fault that the chain ended up getting kinked up. If she would have said, "I threw the dog outside on a chain with no food and water and left him for the entire day in hope that he could survive on his own in 100+ degree weather" then I would totally blame her. However, she did what she could to ensure that the dog was safe. I mean, my parents put there dogs outside when they leave because they have a chocolate lab and a great dane that would tear up the house if left indoors for more than 40 minutes. They would put them in a cage in the house but then they whine a bark the entire time they were gone. So they put them outside with two great big 10 gallon buckets of water. They have access to the porch for shade and they survived outside yesterday for 2 hours...why? Because their chains didn't get kinked up and they were able to reach their water and shelter!

And to the people who took it upon themselves to say that she deserved to be told the things her husband said to her and that they hope that she doesn't do the same thing to her baby when it is born....you are freaking ridiculous! How would you feel if your husband said those things to you. I think what this all boils down to is this....none of us are any better than anyone else on this message board. We all make mistakes and if any of you who bashed OP for what she did says that they have never done something that, in retrospect, was viewed as a bad ideal then you are a liar. And had people said mean and disrespectful things to you like you guys did to her you would be completely upset.

This post was not supposed to be about whether or not she did something wrong or not. She posted because she was upset about the situation. Obviously she knows that she could have done some things different, but we all have those moments. Heck, when we all have our babies there are going to be times when we do things that we look back on and say, "Gee, I should have done this instead of that." But do you want everyone bashing you about it? No. So just back off of OP and take a chill pill. She made a mistake, admitted to it and is paying for that mistake. But she in no way, shape or form deserves to hear the things her DH said to her. Nor does she deserve to hear the things that half of the people who bashed her on the posts said to her.

This post went WAY further than it needed to. 

• Options
    imagejellybeanmama0929:

Okay,

I am completely appalled at the direction this post has taken. I woke up this morning and started reading through everything that every one wrote after I posted and seriously some of you people? Telling her that this is 100% her fault and that she deserved what her husband said to her! FOR F'ing serious? What planet do you people come from.

She had the dog outside with water AND shelter! It wasn't like she threw the dog out there with nothing and said, "Hope you can survive the heat." He had a dog house he could go to for shelter. It was not her fault that his chain got kinked up. That was completely out of her control. She said she has had him out there many times before and his chain has never gotten kinked up.

I know that I just posted this, but I was trying to respond to things that were ridiculous and realized that there were too many to respond to, but my dad and grandpa had hunting dogs that were left outside in a kennel 24/7, 365 days a year and they lived for 10/15/20+ years. There are some dogs that are strict inside dogs and some that are strict outside dogs and some that are both. As long as you keep them properly fed, watered and sheltered they are fine. Animals were made to survive in the wild. We, as humans, have domesticated any and every animal that we possibly can and some of us have taken the ability to survive the wild out of the animal. I said it before and I will say it again...the dog had water, the dog had shelter (meaning a place to escape from the heat) and it was NOT her fault that the chain ended up getting kinked up. If she would have said, "I threw the dog outside on a chain with no food and water and left him for the entire day in hope that he could survive on his own in 100+ degree weather" then I would totally blame her. However, she did what she could to ensure that the dog was safe. I mean, my parents put there dogs outside when they leave because they have a chocolate lab and a great dane that would tear up the house if left indoors for more than 40 minutes. They would put them in a cage in the house but then they whine a bark the entire time they were gone. So they put them outside with two great big 10 gallon buckets of water. They have access to the porch for shade and they survived outside yesterday for 2 hours...why? Because their chains didn't get kinked up and they were able to reach their water and shelter!

And to the people who took it upon themselves to say that she deserved to be told the things her husband said to her and that they hope that she doesn't do the same thing to her baby when it is born....you are freaking ridiculous! How would you feel if your husband said those things to you. I think what this all boils down to is this....none of us are any better than anyone else on this message board. We all make mistakes and if any of you who bashed OP for what she did says that they have never done something that, in retrospect, was viewed as a bad ideal then you are a liar. And had people said mean and disrespectful things to you like you guys did to her you would be completely upset.

This post was not supposed to be about whether or not she did something wrong or not. She posted because she was upset about the situation. Obviously she knows that she could have done some things different, but we all have those moments. Heck, when we all have our babies there are going to be times when we do things that we look back on and say, "Gee, I should have done this instead of that." But do you want everyone bashing you about it? No. So just back off of OP and take a chill pill. She made a mistake, admitted to it and is paying for that mistake. But she in no way, shape or form deserves to hear the things her DH said to her. Nor does she deserve to hear the things that half of the people who bashed her on the posts said to her.

This post went WAY further than it needed to. 

I completely agree and I would hope when people post about having a problem, they would get sympathy and advice and not a lecture about how terrible they are! Just imagine if it were you!!

• Options
    imageBlueEyedBoyMeetsABrownEyedGirl:
    imagejellybeanmama0929:
    imageMassAngel:
    imageflamom92:

Actually, there aren't any good reasons for this.  This is not directed at the OP, because I already offered my two cents on that.  This is directed at the few people who posted "what's wrong with leaving a dog outside all the time?"

The problem is that, for centuries now, domestic dogs have been bred as companions to humans, or at least to be part of a pack.  When you adopt them, you accept a new member into your family and you become their pack.  When you deprive them of that companionship, it is completely against their nature, and it's cruel.  For the life of me, I can't understand why people have dogs when they have no desire to appreciate them for the loving, faithful beings they are.  Dogs can have jobs (hunt, herd, guard, etc.) and still be welcomed into your home.  Any excuse otherwise (i.e. they shed, they're dirty, smelly, badly behaved, etc) is a cop out, and it's lazy.  I feel awful for those poor dogs subjected to that kind of life, but I also sympathize on some level with the people who do this and never get to appreciate the bond that can be created with a dog.

Actually the hunting dogs that my grandpa and my dad had there was no way you could allow them to be indoor dogs. They had a kennel where they could go to for shelter, food, water and were taken care of on a daily basis OUTSIDE! The kennels were attached to the side of the barn and there was a entrance in the side of the barn for the dogs to access the dog box when it was hot outside. On the other side of the dog box there was another entrance to lead to a kennel that was on the inside of the barn. They were bred to be outside dogs and could not be domesticated because they would lose their ability to hunt properly. My grandpa and dad still had a bond with them. Just in a different way. In the winter the entrance that led to the outside kennel would be boarded up and they would just have access to the the kennel inside the barn. There was just no way that you could allow these type of dogs to live indoors. Most people do not have dogs to keep as pets. They have them to serve a purpose as in hunting and if you domesticate them by bringing them indoors they will lose their ability to perform their function.

I have a soft spot for animals and my 2 indoor dogs are like my babies. I would never leave them outside longer than an hour and always make sure that they have plenty of food, water and shelter. In fact, my one dog is not feeling well today and we are cuddling on the couch together and if he isn't better by tomorrow I will take him to the vet. They are my babies, but there are some dogs that can't be treated like that. In certain countries dog live outside 24/7 because they aren't bred to be pets. Dog originated as wild animals. They have not always been pets. Most have a natural instinct to be outdoors and would destroy your home or you if they were forced to be indoors. Anatolian Shepard dogs were not made to be indoor dogs. They are bred to hunt wolves and cheetahs. People try to domesticate them but they are very independent dogs and do not do well domesticated. They are meant to be outside. In fact, 3 Anatolian Shepard dogs can take down an entire pack of wolves. Do you want those in your house? They can tear a cheetah apart and are used by the Cheetah conservation to be sent over to Africa to help the farmers fight off the Cheetah's who try to eat their animals. Would you want that in your house as a pet? Most people try to domesticate them but it is a very long and difficult process and most people end up getting rid of them because they are so difficult to domesticate.

I am just saying. It isn't okay to leave a domesticated animal out in 100+ heat but if you have a dog that is used to being outdoors there is nothing wrong with them being outside. Some are bred to be outdoors....some aren't. 

• Options
    imageBlueEyedBoyMeetsABrownEyedGirl:
    imagejellybeanmama0929:
    imageMassAngel:
    imageflamom92:

Actually the hunting dogs that my grandpa and my dad had there was no way you could allow them to be indoor dogs. They had a kennel where they could go to for shelter, food, water and were taken care of on a daily basis OUTSIDE! The kennels were attached to the side of the barn and there was a entrance in the side of the barn for the dogs to access the dog box when it was hot outside. On the other side of the dog box there was another entrance to lead to a kennel that was on the inside of the barn. They were bred to be outside dogs and could not be domesticated because they would lose their ability to hunt properly. My grandpa and dad still had a bond with them. Just in a different way. In the winter the entrance that led to the outside kennel would be boarded up and they would just have access to the the kennel inside the barn. There was just no way that you could allow these type of dogs to live indoors. Most people do not have dogs to keep as pets. They have them to serve a purpose as in hunting and if you domesticate them by bringing them indoors they will lose their ability to perform their function.

I have a soft spot for animals and my 2 indoor dogs are like my babies. I would never leave them outside longer than an hour and always make sure that they have plenty of food, water and shelter. In fact, my one dog is not feeling well today and we are cuddling on the couch together and if he isn't better by tomorrow I will take him to the vet. They are my babies, but there are some dogs that can't be treated like that. In certain countries dog live outside 24/7 because they aren't bred to be pets. Dog originated as wild animals. They have not always been pets. Most have a natural instinct to be outdoors and would destroy your home or you if they were forced to be indoors. Anatolian Shepard dogs were not made to be indoor dogs. They are bred to hunt wolves and cheetahs. People try to domesticate them but they are very independent dogs and do not do well domesticated. They are meant to be outside. In fact, 3 Anatolian Shepard dogs can take down an entire pack of wolves. Do you want those in your house? They can tear a cheetah apart and are used by the Cheetah conservation to be sent over to Africa to help the farmers fight off the Cheetah's who try to eat their animals. Would you want that in your house as a pet? Most people try to domesticate them but it is a very long and difficult process and most people end up getting rid of them because they are so difficult to domesticate.

I am just saying. It isn't okay to leave a domesticated animal out in 100+ heat but if you have a dog that is used to being outdoors there is nothing wrong with them being outside. Some are bred to be outdoors....some aren't. 

• Options

JellyBeanMama -

There is no reason for a dog to be left outside all day in that kind of heat.  People shouldn't be outside all day on days like we've had recently.  If her dog couldn't be trusted inside, then she should have a crate, as should your parents.

The op should be treated harshly.  Her actions killed her dog. 

Since there are still people like you insisting that dogs can be left outside in 115 degree weather, the point has obviously not been made.  I refuse to back off on this.

Hunting dogs also shouldn't be forced to live outside.  They don't get the same kind of bond with their owners as if they were treated as a part of the family.  I'm sorry your family treats their dogs so poorly, and I hope they never have to deal with the sort of tragedy that the OP has.

Happy Spring!.
  • Options

Jellybean, you are obviously new here.  Quit while you are ahead.  You are arguing apples to oranges and not making a point.  She did not leave her hunting dog in a kennel outside, she left her family pet in the terrible heat, although there were nation wide warnings not to, and killed her family pet.  That was irresponsible and you don't need to defend her.  It will not help the situation. 

When you make a post on a public forum, expect people to have opinions about it.  Nickimouse should have known better than to post this.  Sorry, reality check.

• Options
    I don't know how you can put the blame on just one of you. Unless I misread your post it sounds like chaining him up outside is the usual thing you do when no one is home. If it was his dog to begin with I would think it was him who started this habit and you who followed it. It's a tragedy what happened because neither of you had the sense to change your routine despite the heat and the dog was the one who paid an awful price for the lack of proper care. However, your DH might want to look into anger management. I don't know if I could be with someone enough was so verbally abusive, no matter what mistake was made. Do you want your children being verbally accosted like this when something goes wrong?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"