13»

Re: What is YOUR name?

• Options
    imageashb123:
    imagePhilsWife07:
    imageashb123:
    imageLMS05:
    imageashb123:

I'm confused. I (as well as everyone I know) pronounce Laura like LAR-uh (rhyming LAR with car). How do most people pronounce it?

Lor-uh like Lauren

In my area Lauren is pronounced LAR-en (again rhyming LAR with car). Although where I went to college people pronounced it Lor-en.

It's funny you say that because I'm also in VA and I am constantly called "Lor-en" instead of "Lar-en!" 

Haha that is funny. We just moved from VA back to PA though. Everyone I have known in PA pronounces it Lar-en but when I went to college in AZ they pronounced it Lor-en.

Well that makes more sense then! My family is all from PA, thus the reason why my parents pronounce it the same way you do! Yes 

P - 9/2008
    A - 8/2010
    L - 1/2013
    S - 3/2015
  • Options
    My name is Jessica Lynne. I like it just fine. When I was younger I didn't like my first-last name combo because my maiden name started with a K, so I thought it was kinda hard/clunky to say. I'm glad to have a name that everyone knows how to spell and pronounce! And that "e" on the end of my middle name makes it more special to me. :)

Jess & Adam, married 2009, precious Audrey born in 2011. BFP 1/6/13, 6-wk MMC discovered at 9 wks 2/11/13. D&C 2/18/13, second D&C 4/23/13 for retained placenta.
    BFP 8/24/13!! EDD 5/1/14, delivered healthy and sweet Zoey Leanne on 5/5/14 by repeat c-section.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Jodie Careyn.

I never loved it, but I didn't hate it either. Much better than Stevie which my mom had been considering. Careyn is after my aunt, a variation on Carey, a male name in our family. NN is Jode, which it what I most often go by.

• Options
    imagebrightning:

Shannon Renee

I have always liked my first name, even when there were boys in my class named Shannon. I like that it's unisex, doesn't have any nicknames, easy to spell, never too popular, and most people seem to have a good association with it.

I had a completely different experience with the name Shannon.  There were 7 of us in my hometown, only one male.  5 of us were on the same cheerleading squad in middle school.  It SUCKED.  And there were always multiple Shannons everywhere I went until I was 24, and that was up and down the East Coast.  Apparently, all the Shannons born in the 70s were born on the East Coast ;P  I roomed with another Shannon in college.  My middle school nemesis was another Shannon.  I swear I knew more Shannons than Jennifers or Stephanies or Amys.

I have a love-hate relationship with my first name.  I think my parents trying to honor part of our heritage was nice.  I also always felt the meaning fit me.  But the popularity made me nuts.  Luckily, it has been a long time since I have had to deal with multiple Shannons, so the annoyance is not as fresh in my mind.

I am a Shannon Hope.  I almost started going by my middle name in HS.  I LOVE my middle name - so glad it wasn't a filler name.  My mom liked Rose, but it would have been RIDICULOUS with my maiden name.

I kept my middle name when I got married because I liked it more than my maiden name.

• Options
    imagevandelay:
    imageGermanGirl2007:
    imageschnappycat:

My name is Laura, which I love. It's classic, but you don't hear it too often. Plus, I was named after my super cool grandmother.

However, I don't like my mn, Michelle very much. My dad, Michael, insisted on it so I would be named after him. It screams 70s to me. But it's not like I use it often.

Are you serious??  This is my exact name. I am a Laura Michelle too. Yes

I was too!  When I got married I replaced Michelle with my maiden name, but I was Laura Michelle before.

That is nuts! I can't believe there are three of us on this board!

** After  2 1/2 years of Unexplained IF, 2 failed medicated cycles, and 4 failed IUI's - our baby girl came to us through the miracle of
     Mini IVF! **

• Options
    Tanna April. Pronounced just like Anna or Hanna, but with a "T". People always read it as Tanya, never really bothers me though. I have always loved my name.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My name is Christie and it's okay. I have 4 friends all named either Kristen or Christina so I guess it was popular in 1980
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Kimberly Rynee.

I still accuse my mom of being on drugs when she spelled my middle name. She swears it was the only way she knew how to spell it. My poor brother is Jarod (like Jerrod or Jared...not jay-rod). 

-Kimberly :)Blog Chart Baby Blog
    Furbabies Ribby, JJ, Bella, Hunter
    imageimage
    My little Minion!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"