Natural Birth
Options

Now 40 weeks 6 days...Overdue...

I started a post the other day about my contraction dilemma. Problem being, I get them, they last from anywhere between 6-12 hours at a time, but they don't intensify enough to open my cervix and they dont stick around longer than the 12 hours.

So here we are at 40 weeks, and 6 days overdue. I am fresh out of ideas to naturally jumpstart my contractions. Tried different foods, sex, nipple stimulations, accupressure, etc...I am very jealous of the people that use something as simple as nipple stimulation and they go into labor. I get contractions but then they die after 12 hours, and I go on for another day of being pregnant.

The hospital said to stop timing contractions because that obviously is not working for me since they happen every 3-4 minutes apart. She basically said to come back when my water breaks. I have not found any "natural" ways to break water, so since contractions are not working I am stumped.  Got any ideas anyone?

Whats the longest someone has ever been pregnant without having an induction and still being able to deliver vaginally? I really do not want to induce a toddler out...

Re: Now 40 weeks 6 days...Overdue...

• Options

My labor sounded a lot like this - lots of stop and start.  I'd get a good 2-3 hours of 4-1-1, then they'd space again.

THEN BAM!  Midnight Day 3 hit and I went from 0 cm dilated to Baby in 3 hours!  I guess my uterus wanted the practice!  

So take heart.  I was getting to the point where I was thinking about going to the hospital to get pitocin as EVERY natural induction method did not seem to be working and I had not slept in 2 days!

Luckily, I got my home water birth!  

Every birth is different, but I hope this helps!  Oh!  And I was 41w3d when he finally came!  He had some vernix still on him, so we think that he was actually around 40w.  Babies know when they should be born.

• Options
    If your doctor is okay with it, I think you're fine to get close to 42 weeks. You can even be checked to make sure that your placenta is still in good shape. Remember, 40 weeks is just an average. I'm sure you're super uncomfortable and want him/her out right now, but just know that you're really close to it being over.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had my DS at 40w6d and at 40w I was induced in the hospital for 3 days unsuccessfully and went home.  When I got home I just relaxed in preparation for labor.  Hope this doesn't sound obnoxious, but I would just focus on relaxing vs. getting labor started at this point since sometimes stress can slow things down.  Pedicure, massage, movie night, dinner with DH, you get the point.  It sounds like everything is going well and when it kicks in it's really going to kick in!  Much better than having no signs of anything happening.  I can't remember what the average is for a 1st time mom, but I thought it was somewhere around 41w and change?  Good luck!
    DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have done the relaxing thing and I am actually a second time mom. My first came on her due date. My water broke, then my contractions stopped and they induced with pitocin 10 hours later. 
  • Options

imageLibby283:
    I have done the relaxing thing and I am actually a second time mom. My first came on her due date. My water broke, then my contractions stopped and they induced with pitocin 10 hours later. 
    Well then I would keep on relaxing and take advantage of knowing your body seems to be doing it's thing by what you've described! 

My friend actually had the exact same situation 2 months ago.  Her DD was born exactly on her due date and they were going to induce her at 41w this time, but she went into labor with DD#2 in the early morning of 41w instead and had a very quick labor (she had the stop and start thing as well). 

I think it must be frustrating to go longer with your second and hope the LO shows up sooner than later!

DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Lily was born at 43 weeks.  My water broke, active labor started in 5 minutes and Lily was born 40 hours after that.

I tried every natural method I could think of and none of them worked because she was not ready.  She came when she was supposed to be born.  ::shrugs::    Next time I will just skip all of that and just trust my body and my baby (while of course being monitored by my MW). 

The average for first time Moms is 41 weeks 3 days- you are not even a week overdue.  I KNOW how hard it is, but I would relax a bit and have faith.   

Edit- I just saw that you are not a first time Mom.  Well, every baby is different.  My Mom had me (the first) 3 weeks "early" and my brother (her second) ten days "late"...my other brother (her third) was born the day before his EDD.    

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• Options

I know you listed acupressure, but have you tried acupuncture?  I think I suggested that in the other thread.... I've heard it's very effective.  I think I'll be doing that at 41 weeks if nothing's happening.

Anyway, try to relax if you can.  Your baby will be here before you know it.  I know it's frustrating to be overdue but stressing about it isn't going to help the situation.  Your body knows what to do.  Hang in there!     

• Options
    I second accupuncture I had it done 3 times and the last time I went into labor that night I also did have my membranes stripped that day. I know not the most natural method but I was facing an induction and desperate those two did the trick for me. I was 40 weeks and 5 days and hadn't had a single contraction before hand and had him 26 hours later at exactly 41 weeks. My doula told me even if your not going into active labor all that prodromal (sp?) labor IS doing something if they are getting that close. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if when you do your labor isn't as long. GL momma I know it's hard but try to relax.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageLibby283:

I started a post the other day about my contraction dilemma. Problem being, I get them, they last from anywhere between 6-12 hours at a time, but they don't intensify enough to open my cervix and they dont stick around longer than the 12 hours.

I'm convinced that a contraction is a contraction and it is doing SOMETHING.  Sure, you might not be in transition, but I bet those contractions are still doing some work.  So focus on the fact that you are contracting, your body is working on it and eventually your baby will come out.  No child has ever stayed in till toddlerhood.  Lots of women have off and on labor for days and then the real thing will kick in and their baby is born in a matter of 2 to 3 hours - you might be one of those :) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Friday night I was only 1-2 cm dilated and my cervix was long. So the contractions I have been having for the last 3 weeks are certainly not dilated my cervix.

I started having contractions yesterday at dinner time, that I can only descrive as pelvic pressure that feels like trying to pee with a UTI. I started getting bloody show around 11. I have tried sleeping in between each contraction, which when I last timed them about 3 am, they were 5 minutes apart, but pretty much have been up all night.

I think the contractions are now starting to let up because they do not seem to be as intense, either that or I am building a tolerance to them. I guess time will tell. SO went to work and said call him if my water breaks.

So far contractions have been happening almost 14 hours in this batch. I am convinced that I am not one of those lucky people that second babies comes sooner and faster. My contractions lasted 10 hours with my daughter. We have already surpassed that here. I would be ok with labor starting and stopping for days prior to the real deal, but we are on week 3 at this point.

• Options

Stop convincing yourself that things are going badly.  I know you must be frustrated, but you are NOT relaxing. You are obsessing.  Go out and do something to get your mind off of everything. Really, stop thinking about it so much.  Stop trying everything and just go about your day. 

I think I'd read a trashy novel or watch a stupid movie or go out for lunch and do some shopping...anything not baby related. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options

Evening Primrose Oil.  3 by your cervix at night, 1 orally in the am.  My midwife suggested it and my water broke in the middle of the 3rd night.  Felt cramping as soon as I put it in.

When you get the contractions, do they calm down if you get in the tub and drink a glass of wine or anything like that?  B/c real ones won't and will just get more intense.  Can you talk through them or are they pretty intense?

I don't know if I'd wait until my water broke to go in.  Some people's water doesn't break until the baby's coming out.  But if you contractions feel suddenly more intense...

• Options
    I can feel the stress over the computer, so ditto to pp that there is no way that you are relaxed.  And fwiw, you can be CLOSED up tight, but still make progress with the prodromal labor.  I bet you're just exhausted mentally and physically, so I would at least tell yourself that you will take a 24 hour break mentally from thinking about going into labor and relax to some degree. 
  • Options
    hang in there mama! i know it's much easier said than done, but i'd try to stop thinking about it and enjoy your last days as a mom of one! with DS1, i was induced at 41+6. i had DS2 at home at 42+2. It was very hard to remain patient and i did have one little meltdown at 41+6, but it was well worth the wait! my homebirth story/video are here.
  • Options
    imagepepomntpat:

Stop convincing yourself that things are going badly.  I know you must be frustrated, but you are NOT relaxing. You are obsessing.  Go out and do something to get your mind off of everything. Really, stop thinking about it so much.  Stop trying everything and just go about your day. 

I think I'd read a trashy novel or watch a stupid movie or go out for lunch and do some shopping...anything not baby related. 

I agree with this, and also agree with the other poster who said that you may not be seeing the results now, but all the contractions you're having are doing some work.  It's okay to go longer with your second baby than your first.  Every pregnancy and birth is different.  Enjoy this time before things get insane with a newborn again; that's what I'm doing! 

• Options
    I know it has to be frustrating...and you've probably sick of hearing this, but baby will come when baby is ready.  My midwife went 43 weeks one time.  Your body is able to do it.  Good luck!
  • Options

Although I had to be induced, I waited until I was 41w+6d.  The longest I've heard of anyone being pregnant is nearly 43 weeks, but if you are already having contractions, I don't think it will take that long.  I didn't have any contractions pre-induction but I tried everything to induce labor naturally but nothing worked. 

I just wanted to wish you good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagenycteach:

Although I had to be induced, I waited until I was 41w+6d.  The longest I've heard of anyone being pregnant is nearly 43 weeks, but if you are already having contractions, I don't think it will take that long.  I didn't have any contractions pre-induction but I tried everything to induce labor naturally but nothing worked. 

I just wanted to wish you good luck!

Thank you for your responses. Be thankful you did not have the contraction pre induction. That by far is the worst. i am still comfortable being pregnant but the rollar coaster contractions are very tiring. 

Update:  Well after 14 hours of having contractions 4 minutes apart all last night, I called my regular doctor this am and him meeting me at the hospital, we have decided that inducing is best.  The contraction stopped while I was at the hospital but they are back now and I have had them sporadically all day. They come and go with no pattern, although I am now 2-3 cm dilated and my cervix is soft. So these are the real deal and he is stumped of why I am yet again having stalling labor.

So induction is scheduled for tommorow at 6:15 am unless my water breaks later beforehand. At least and end is in sight now, and I will be able to finally get out of this on & off again labor pattern.

I am trying to do this again without an epidural. I was able to with my first, so here is hoping I can regain enough rest and strength to be able to handle another long stretch of even more intense contractions tommorow. I just have to focus on meeting my little one.

To a previous poster: To confirm, the dilemma is not getting labor started really, its more of an issue of keeping it going. Once you have a good 12-14 hours in of constant 4 minute contractions, its exhausting to have them stop, just to pick up again at another time.

• Options
    Best of luck tomorrow!  Or tonight if LO wants to throw you a bone!  Wink
  • Options
    According to a Harvard study, the average time for being pregnant is 41 weeks and a day, so don't worry.  Good luck!
    imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"