2nd Trimester
Options

So, what IF I don't go back for my 2nd round of blood work?

2»

Re: So, what IF I don't go back for my 2nd round of blood work?

• Options
    image*ImminenceFront*:

Ok guys, I'm high risk because of a massive fibroid, that's all. 

I'm 99% sure, I'll be going, though, if it's a 3 hour test, we'll definitely lave some issues.  It's not that I'm trying to be selfish, its a DEBILITATING fear. The fact that I even can call and tell someone that I need an appt for a blood draw is a small miracle. Once, I tried 3 different times to call, and couldn't pick up the phone to do so, due to full blown panic attacks. To me, it's not just "a little prick." It's not. 

Yes, I also have a debilitating fear of my kids dying.  So attempting to prevent that is pretty important.  Get the damn test.

• Options

I had GD with my first pregnancy and this one. First time i weighed 110 lbs and i have no family history. It's not something to play around with, if not treated your baby could not develop correctly or gain too much weight. 

Grow up and do the blood draw.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagebchenier:

Ever see that little show called "i didn't know I was pregnant"? These women go without ANY prenatal care...

I think you'll be fine. You're only putting yourself at risk though...

good luck

you're an idiot.

• Options
    imagehoundbaby:
    imagebchenier:

Ever see that little show called "i didn't know I was pregnant"? These women go without ANY prenatal care...

good luck

you're an idiot.

Yes 

CafeMom Tickers Photobucket
  • Options
    image*ImminenceFront*:

I'm 99% sure, I'll be going, though, if it's a 3 hour test, we'll definitely lave some issues.  It's not that I'm trying to be selfish, its a DEBILITATING fear. The fact that I even can call and tell someone that I need an appt for a blood draw is a small miracle. Once, I tried 3 different times to call, and couldn't pick up the phone to do so, due to full blown panic attacks. To me, it's not just "a little prick." It's not. 

I hyperventilate and have passed out from getting bloodwork done before. I have to lay down flat to get blood work done. I still had every test my dr deemed necessary for this pregnancy and my last. It IS selfish. Not getting a test done for the well being of your child because of your own irrational fears is stupid. You better grow up before that child comes because you need to learn to put their needs above your own.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Are you serious?? 

I just had to go today and put up with the 3-hour glucose test also.  I've never had diabetes, or any reason to believe anyone in my family does.  But I am also overweight and that's just the way it goes.  

To risk pre-term labor, fetal demise, macrosomia, uterine rupture, and a host of other things because you don't want to get poked??  Ask them to leave a hep-pock, so can do it in the same place, or spray some numbing spray on your arm.

And whoever mentioned the show "I didn't know I was pregnant" is an idiot, also.

The one I saw today while waiting in the lab, because honestly I would never watch that show on my own, had a women who delivered 7 weeks early because of pre-eclampsia, which can be brought on by uncontrolled gestational diabetes.  

And, to answer your question, your doctor has the right to dismiss you from the practice, and many will.  You put them at a higher liability by refusing screening, and therefore treatment, and then if something happens to your kid, you will be the first one in line at the lawyer's office. 

GROW UP!!!  It's not that bad.... 

• Options
    I don't think anyone likes needles but honestly how are you ever going to have a baby if you can't even get your blood taken. You know when you actually go to the hospital to have the baby they will giving you needles and poking you everywhere.  Especially since you are high risk and overweight I'd really be concerned with not getting the prenatal tests. As for I didn't know I was pregnant those are probably the minority of people that it turns out ok for they are not going to show the babies that have  problems from not getting care on the show.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageHyfagal:
    imagebchenier:

good luck

Excellent point. I guess that means I can stop seeing the Dr. and take up drinking again.

Thumbs up.... where are we meeting at... I would love a daquari right now!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

image*ImminenceFront*:

If anyone is scared of needles its me! I had to be strapped down before to get stitches, I didn't even care that I was bleeding and had to be sown up right away! I just didn't want that needle anywhere near me!  I always feel like I am going to pass out when I am getting a blood draw! I also have very very small veins so I have been pricked several times in one arm then they move on to the next arm and keep pricking till they decide to take from my hand! 

Ever since I got pregnant and was sent to the lab to get my blood drawn I never once said I don't want to because I know that I would rather get pricked 1000 times and know that everything is okay with my results or that everything is not okay and need more prenatal care! 

Maybe you reading that a lot of these women are scared of needles will show you that its okay to suck it up for that minute your in there! 

The "pricking part" only takes a second! 

I really hope you take all the tests needed in your pregnancy!

• Options
    imageHyfagal:
    imagebchenier:

good luck

Excellent point. I guess that means I can stop seeing the Dr. and take up drinking again.

LOL  awesome

For OP, suck it up, think of it as practice for both putting up with some unpleasantness for labor, and ( as for the hitting someone) for controlling your anger and perhaps violent instincts before becoming a parent  :S

• Options
    Well, hopefully you wont dehydrate or anything else from not getting the IV you'll probably get at the hospital. Get your doctor to prescribe something for anxiety. This is just the first of many needle pricks, so you might as well find a solution now. I don't care how bad my anxiety gets - I'll do what I need to for my unborn child to be healthy.
    imageimage
    Breleigh & Mason
  • Options

imagejessiesnwbrd:
    I'm so surprised they tested you for GD so early. Are you sure that it wasn't for your basic blood panel to see if you were diabetic (not gestationally). They usually test for GD between 24 & 28 weeks because that's when it shows up. It doesn't matter if no one in  your family has had it, and there are no symptoms. Get your test please, for your LO & yourself. (I hate needles too...but ya gotta do what ya gotta do).

It all depends on the office and the insurance. I have Kaiser and it is their policy to test at the beginning of the pregnancy whether your overweight or not.

• Options
    imagehowa0155:
    image*ImminenceFront*:

Yes, I also have a debilitating fear of my kids dying.  So attempting to prevent that is pretty important.  Get the damn test.

This.

Grow the fvck up. 

• Options
    imagebchenier:

good luck

Indifferent Wow

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    image*ImminenceFront*:

I get what you're saying.  I don't have issues like yours regarding blood draws, but I have terrible veins - every single draw takes 2-4 sticks and means utilizing pediatric needles rather than regular needles (which means the stick takes 2-3 times as LONG to draw as well).  It's agonizing and I hate it.

That said, I'll also share this with you: ZERO history of diabetes in the family, I'm a fit 125-130lbs when not pregnant.  I eat VERY well - fairly low carb, mostly organic, blah blah blah.  I have little to no risk factors for diabetes.  And yet, I took the 1 and 3 hours in both of my pregnancies so far and have asked to skip the 1 hour screening and go directly to the three hour in this pregnancy.

Let me explain why:  With my daughter, I gained over 100lbs during pregnancy despite continuing to be a good and healthy eater.  It was perplexing to say the least.  She was born at 42 weeks with very few issues.  With my son, I kept my weight under VERY good control, yet he was 10lbs at birth and spent the first 48 hours of HIS life struggling with his system creating and maintaining good sugar levels.  He had heel pricks every two hours for the first two days of his life - his sugars were everywhere across the lowest averages available  -- his sluggishness at birth wasn't exhaustion from being born, it was from having a blood sugar level of 40.  FORTY!! If you know anything about diabetes, a BG level of 40 is terrifying.

This time around, my weight's under control and the baby is measuring right on track.  Even according to my doc, there's no true reason to skip the screening and go straight to the diagnostic test.  Still, I'm tempted to do it as I'd love no more than to avoid having those post-birth issues with my child. 

Other post birth issues that could come from uncontrolled GD?  Surfactant doesn't seem to work as well in babies with gestational diabetic mothers -- their lung development is significantly slowed and they can be seriously hampered in their ability to survive outside the womb.  Then there's the size issue - which could lead to any waterfall of medical interventions during birth itself.

There's enough compelling evidence out there for me to know I have to suck it up and do it for my kid, regardless of my own anxiety and pain.  If your anxiety and pain level is that high - discuss the issue with your doctor ahead of time and you can figure out some preemptive measures to help you quell your feelings on this matter, but, in my opinion, skipping it altogether is a really bad choice. 

• Options

I weighed 92 lbs before I got pregnant with my first at the ripe old age of 23, gained just 35 lbs through the pregnancy, and yet STILL had managed to develop GD.  Bottom line, it can happen to you even if you're not in a high risk group.

I understand debilitating fear.  Really, I do.  But if there's one situation that should encourage you to work through that fear, it's this.  Do whatever you need to do to get yourself through the test and give yourself a nice pat on the back afterward for putting your child before your fear.

Parenthood involves a lifelong series of sacrifices and it starts with pregnancy.

• Options

I am just as scared as you to get my blood drawn.  It is an awful fear, but the moment I got pregnant, that fear had to take a backseat.  I've had nearly 38 viles taken from me since February. I am a person that needs to lay down and not look(and have a distraction--I always bring someone with me to talk to me). I'm thankful, for most of the draws, I've had the same tech at my OB office. She is amazing and understands my fear. Why have I been able to do 38 viles, when normally I'd say no. . .Because I have a baby inside of me that depends on me. Without those tests being done, I could possibly be harming my child.

I'm also overweight(by 70 or so pounds) with a long history of diabetes that is genetics related. Thankfully, at 28 weeks, I did not have gestational diabetes.  I was only tested once, but if I start spilling sugar into my urine, I would gladly redo the test.

You need to figure a way to get over your fear. This isn't just about YOU, it is about you and your child.  Wouldn't you want to do everything possible to make sure your child is healthy????

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I wasnt in any way saying DONT GET THE BLOOD WORK. I was just trying to get across that if she doesn't want to get bloodwork done its her own risk ( and her baby's of course).

I'm not an idiot, I was just giving my opinion. And if you think about it.. it's true... the women who dont know they're pregnant dont have any prenatal care at all and their children are ok.

Since she knows she's pregnant she should get the prenatal care if she can. I say suck it up! you can do it! just breathe you'll be fine!

I bet I'll get flamed for this too, but people write on here to get other people's opinions right?

• Options
    If you can't even stand needles how the EFF are you going to handle giving birth? Suck it up and GO. Stop being such a pathetic, selfish, whiny brat.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"