2nd Trimester
Options

bare bumps offensive?

13»

Re: bare bumps offensive?

• Options
    I think it's crazy how some people are offended. Or that some people even see something wrong with having pictures in our home showing off my belly. We had pictures of my belly done with my husband and myself and sure enough they are in our bedroom and in our nursery. We embraced the fact that I was pregnant and considered it such a blessing that we wanted to share it with our friends and family who happened to find the pictures absolutely beautiful.We also wanted our daughter to know how happy en elated we were to be bringing her into the world.  Not to mention it is extremely modern. I think it's perfectly acceptable when it is done in an acceptable manner. Some women are not comfortable showing off their bump for numerous reasons. I however was asked all the time to show my belly and my midwife said it was very much the model belly. But I do agree everyone has their own oppinions and ideas however, I think that just as much as people are okay with you not showing off your belly that they should be okay with those who do want to.image
  • Options

I rocked out with my bump out all summer at the pool!!!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I don't think they're offensive at all - it's a beautiful thing.

I do believe it has to be in context.  At the beach or sunbathing = yes; at the mall = fail.

My fiance and I have been taking a belly picture every week, but weren't planning on making them public.  We were going to do a timelapse video after LO is born.

However, I live on the other side of the country, and my family are all sad that they are missing the first pregnancy in our generation and asked that I post pictures.  And then my friends from back home jumped in on the asking, too.  So, I posted them on Facebook.  Only my family and good friends have access to the album - it's actually been pretty neat.

(We took the pictures bare (only my belly's bare - I'm not nude), partly because that makes the most sense when trying to get a real read on how big I've grown, and also because I've only really started showing in the last two or so weeks - and I'm 26 wks 5 days along.)

• Options

I think that the belly is beautiful! I love my bump pictures and I do plan to hang them in my home. I have pics from DS1 in our bedroom and this one will be hung in there too! There is nothing wrong with a tasteful picture. And when I got swimming I am not going to wear a giant shirt so that no one is offended by the amazing life growing inside my belly. Tasteful is the word!

My Beautiful Bump!

• Options

imageKimee13:
    I don't find them offensive, but do consider them tacky - NMS at all.  One of my biggest pet peeves is PG women stuffing themselves in their normal swimsuits/bikinis - I don't care how much weight you have/have not gained, your body changes and they look ridiculous.

Are you kidding me? All of those 190+ women and men out there sporting bikinis on the beach and nobody wants to "offend" them by saying "really? No one wants to see that!" But you can say that it looks ridiculous for a pregnant woman to wear one. That's like saying that only a perfect size 5 should be allowed to wear bikinis. Sorry but I disagree, I'm 39 weeks and I live on the coast and I sport my bikini every weekend on the beach. If you don't like it "Go Home", I have the same rights as the supermodels on TV.

• Options
    BTW I would not show off my bump anywhere but at the beach. But I agree with the girl that said she may not be able to afford maternity clothes. I grew out of most of my tops about a month ago, and I'm too far along to buy anymore. So I have been staying home as much as possible and wearing my DH's t-shirts when I go out.
  • Options

I see nothing wrong with it, and often wonder on The Bump why people are so judgemental.  It's something that has turned me off from this site.  I'm looking for a postive experience in pregnancy as there are enough changes to navigate without reading about the judgement of other women who should be supportive of each other.  While I don't intend to show my belly, I don't think it's anything to be ashamed of either.  There have also been a couple women on here who have called other pregnant women "gross."  That's just immature.  Why put down someone else who is going through the same thing as you are? 

Anyway, sorry to vent.  But women deal with enough without beating up on each other. 

• Options

well..

LAST TIME iv checked we were born in this world naked.. and ugh. it's how god wantd it/us to be. people have they own opinion about things and that what messes alot up in this world. im proud ov my body(YOU SHOULD BE TO)., pregnant or not. if ii can walk around in a bikini NOT preggo... why the HELL cant ii preggo. ? the body is a beautiful thing., and if you dont want to hide it that's YOU. ! people get so judgemental and forget their place. it's DEFINATELY not our place to judge anyone! ! ! YOU GO HEAD GIRL. ! that baby bump is beautiful., and whats inside it is precious... if someone feels differently., they can always turn thee other cheek.

• Options
    I agree that bare bumps are not offinsive, if a: done tastefully (no pubes or boobs showing), b: in an appropriate place (beach, pool, home), c: maternity pics (cute for all girl shower invites or small photo albums for friends and family).  But anywhere else not really appropriate, cuase would you really show off your belly any other time?  I mean really? 
  • Options
    To me it is tacky and depending on the belly, it can be offensive.  Once I have a pregnant belly, I will not be letting it out for the all the world to see.  I don't like to see it on non-pregnant women.  As someone else said Modesty can be very sexy. 
  • Options

Not at all. I went to the beach my third tri and wore a bikini. Everyone thought it was cute. If the hairy fat man can come out shirtless or the 50 yr old lady in a bikini...I don't feel bad about having my basket ball belly showing. I think if you want to show it, show it. But not just hanging out of a shirt, just in a bikini or something like that.

Pregnancy pictures are so sweet. It captures such a special time in your life. I got so many complements about how cute I was pregnant. And I never knew so many men thought pregnant was 'sexy'. And I guess that's why I spent $400 on one pictute of me pregnant on the beach. Just a little something to hang in my baby's room, for now.

but everyone has their own opinion. I also didn't have stretch marks or anything. Just a basket ball tummy.

Oh and my mom painted it like a beach ball like a week before I had my baby. She posted it on facebook and everyone LOVED it!

• Options
    No I wear my bikini and most people think it's cute, but every once in awhile you get some immature person who has to say bad things and it's just dumb. Just because I'm pregnant doesn't mean I can't cool off or get a tan. Pregnant bellies are cute anyways.
  • Options
    I think it only matters what YOU think.  I am 38 weeks and am an avid swimmer.  I've been doing laps almost every day since before I became pregnant.  Now I am big and round and still do laps 3-4 times a week......in a two piece.  I am not afraid to go to the pool with my 4 year old wearing a bikini, either.  My husband says I'm beautiful, and that is all that matters.  I could care less what anyone else thinks.  I am happy and proud to be carrying around a beautiful new life.
  • Options
    I wish there was a like button here lol... I love it. confidence your bump is beautiful girl wise1023
  • Options
    imagewise1023:

i dont think that they are offensive. i love not wearing a shirt. some people think its offensive that your showing off or something but its summer so its the perfect time to not cover your baby bump :)

soon to be mommy of twins.

I love it! the bump and the confidence 

• Options

Context is the answer for me, I went on a beach vacation a few weeks ago (at 25 weeks) and wore a black bikini. I am pregnant with twins so I have a sizable bump. That said, I was more comfortable in that bathing suit than any maternity suit I saw- and I will be able to wear it next summer (if my skin is not damaged from my amazing belly growth!) 

Pregnant bodies are beautiful, and they should be enjoyed, but it is not necessary to wear a cut-off shirt to show your shape.

• Options
     If you are wearing a bathing suit I don't see any offense to that but for the moms that walk around with their bellies hanging out of the bottom of their shirt I think that is tacky. Just my Opinion
  • Options

I agree to each their own.  I hope and plan, to show my tummy off, I like the pumpkin idea...very cute!

• Options

So I'm reading these posts because I show off my bare belly (only in a bikini) and i was shocked to see so many people against that and think it's tacky. But then I started to realize that no, most people were talking about in daily life out in public showing off their bare bump and I got an instant image in my head of having dinner with my family and this PG chick walking arm and arm with her bf into the restaraunt with her bare belly showing!! EEEK!!!!  I think there is a time and place for everything and a bare belly, PG or not, should be covered up if in public UNLESS at the beach or the pool and wearing a bikini prepregnancy was appropriate.

Maternity pics i think are beautiful and I plan on having a couple photos taken and hanging one on my baby's bedroom wall...but a tasteful pic....Anyone see the movie "Family Stone"? that xmas movie with claire danes and rachel mcadams when the gf gives the family a framed pic of Mom pregnant sitting in a chair by the window...beautiful! and I want something like that for my kids....I know i would Love something like that from my mom's days of being PG with me or my brother.  I have yet to post a PG pic on FB...if someone else posts a pic of me, fine. and if it's good, i may make it my profile pic, but I don't think I'll be posting a pic of my own. just NMS.

• Options
    I'm 27w3d pregnant and I am all about rocking the bikini!  I woldn't post pics of it online but I def rock the bikini (not at the beach yet but I def will if I go)
  • Options
    My mom threw a fit when I wear a bikini while prego, but my husband (and all of our friends) gave me props for putting the belly out there.  I vowed that the day I got a stretch mark I would cover up, but until then I expose my belly with pride!  If someone finds it offensive, I figure, they don't have to look - but I've actually received nothing but compliments!
  • Options

okay I'm going to put my two cents worth in.  When I was pregnant I saved every penny.  I knew my DD was going to need things and that I would be off work for 6-8 weeks with no income coming in, so I didn't buy maternity cloths.  At the time I was a SM and didn't want my child to suffer because of it.  So when ever some one said anything about my cloths being too small I simply told them if you want me to wear bigger cloths buy them for me and I will.  I offended enough people with that statement that I ended up with an entire third tri-mester wardrobe. 

On the other hand I was always so hot during my pregnancy that I had fantasies about stripping naked and climbing into the walk-in freezer at Walmart.  and I was constantly fanning myself with my shirt (lots of bump showing).  I didn't care who saw it as long as they didn't take a picture of it.  I live in the south and bare bumps are accepted.  With the current heat wave I wish I were pregnant so I would have the confidence to go bare belly again.

• Options

I don't understand why people think it's tacky. I'm totally all for the maternity pictures and posting them or hanging them... (I didn't get any taken, but I wish I did.) Being pregnant is beautiful! Granted, some bumps are cuter than others, but same with babies!
    Your bump IS your baby,. The only reason it's there is cause of your little one! Why is it tacky to show your baby off before he/she is born? What, just because it's a bare tummy it is? Bare is natural, keep in mind!

I didn't see the post of the girl who posted her tummy, and people rediculed her for it.... but if you don't like it, deal with it!! It's non of your business if someone wants to post a picture of thier bare baby bump.

• Options

maternity pics/huge completely bare tummies - not my thing.

a little belly sticking out of a tank top or wearing a 2 piece - all for it. 

I think everyone should do what they want and what they are comfortable with and if you don't like it you don't have to look :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I don't see anything wrong with bare bumps. As a matter of fact, I think it's the most beautiful thing in the world cause just by being able to get pregnant is a gift from God. So I say go for it!!!
  • Options
    Pregnancy is a beautiful and miraculous thing. I'm a fairly modest person but I don't see anything wrong with a bare bump, (as in time and place..i.e. no bare bumps in the mall). Pregnancy photos are beautiful  and having a wall at home dedicated to your little miracle is a great thing, not weird what so ever. Do what feels right, and who gives what anyone else thinks. All that matters during your pregnancy is you and your family.
  • Options
    It's not offensive but it's not something I want to see after a certain point.  But that might be because I was so miserable the entire pregnancy!
  • Options

I was 8 months pregnant with DD when we went on vacation last year. I wore a two piece and let it hang out! I didn't care. There was no way I was going to shove myself into a 1 piece bathing suit.  I felt great.

There is a time and a place for the bare bellies. In the middle of a store.. no... on a beach... totally!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"