3rd Trimester

WWYD? re: induction and DH

So I had contrax all day when I was 36w3d. They had to stop them, and not sure if it was going to work, DH came home from the rig a week early.They stopped.

His normal schedule is 3 wks on 3 wks off. He was scheduled to come home the 4th and take off 4 wks, and then go back. Well he came home a week before that and so now his 4 wks takes him to June 24th---3 days after my EDD. He can try to take 5-7 more days off (they only travel out there on certain days), but its a matter of pay. We do have some money saved, but I dont want to stretch it. 

 I had DS at 39 w 2 d. Went into labor on my own. When I did, they gave me a little pit to get things going stronger. Well then DS's HR went down and they stopped it and let me go on my own. I didnt want to rush anything, but I really want DH home for 1-2 wks after i have DD. I will have my mom here for 12 days, but thats it. Then DH goes back to work for 3 wks, and I am alone with 2 kids (no family around).

My OB offered to induce me at 39w2d if I want. I REALLY dont want to mess with nature, but I also REALLY want DH home for a little after she is born. If they induce me it'll be on the 16th, and he'll be home a total of 8 days, and that includes my hospital stay.

would you go for the induction, or wait and hope baby comes the same time as last time?? 

FWIW I have dilated from a fingertip and 80% last week to 1-2 this week...I know that doesnt mean much. I am having contrax on and off and lots of pressure. I am also planning on trying reflexology to see if it works (the therapist here has had 35 sucessful inductions.) 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
image
imageimageimageimage

Re: WWYD? re: induction and DH

  • If it were me, I'd do the induction and have DH there for the extra time.  Personally, I'm really looking forward having the time with DH when our LO comes.  I'm sure others will differ, but to me it's important to have that time to bond as a family. 

    Good luck with whatever decision you make!

    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • As much as I'm not a fan of induction for personal reason, I do think its really important to have DH and/or support people around and being alone with two would be a lot to handle. I think for the sake of mental well being all around, you should go for it. I mean, the risk of c-section goes up, but that could happen to you regardless and with out DH around...well, I just don't see a lot of reasons where this would actually benefit your family. Hopefully baby decides to come sooner on its own, but I think most people would support your induction :) good luck!
  • I would be induced.  There is no way I would go through child birth on my own if I had the option to induce so my DH could be there with me.

  • If there isn't a way to move his schedule then I would probably go ahead with the induction.
    image
  • I would definitely put in for the induction date just as a back up plan. If she comes earlier perfect, but that way you will have reassurance that DH will be home with you and your 2 LOs for at least eight days if not more. Best of luck & hope it all turns out well.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    image
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I'm very strongly anti-induction personally, but this is a tough situation.  Honestly, the thought of giving birth and being on my own with a newborn without my husband scares me to death, even though I know people have to do it all the time.  Considering you'll be over 39 weeks, I think it would be fine for you to go ahead and be induced, especially since you're already dilated some.

    However, can you start the process with less intense methods of induction, such as stripping membranes a couple of days before to see if that kick starts natural labor?  Or, start on a low dose of pitocin? 

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think this might be one of the few situations I'd be ok with inducing a little early.

    Ditto pp that suggested some alternative methods, which I think you're already considering. I'd also want to know my Bishop's score and the likelihood of a successful induction w/o c-section. 

    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • kofmkgkofmkg
    Ancient Membership 10000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its
    member

    I face a similar situation: schedule an induction or risk DH missing the birth b/c of his work/travel schedule.  And I have similar concerns about induction interfering with the natural process.

    I plan to learn a little more from my doc about induction and then talk it over with DH. It's still early for us to decide-- an the possibility of a c/s isn't ruled out either for medical reasons-- but we are leaning toward induction.

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Love, luck, and prayers to my BFPB Dr. SnowflakeBride

  • image LCB34:

    I would be induced.  There is no way I would go through child birth on my own if I had the option to induce so my DH could be there with me.

    This.  I would want DH there if at all possible.  And he would want to be there as well.  

    Big Brother Logan Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Baby Miles Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Bryan Smith - Freelance Photography Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I am in a similar boat and being induced at 39wks.  My DH is in the service and is up in VA for 6 months doing some work, we however live in SC.  I don't want him to miss the baby, but we are both too nervous to induce earlier then 39wks (although it has been offered due to the babies size).  I hope I wait till the induction, but part me worries that she will come early and he will miss it.  But that is the risk we are taking.  So if it were me, I would do the induction.  Messing with nature isn't fun, and isn't my number one choice, but I can not imagine my DH missing it either.
  • image Laura_Lee:

    However, can you start the process with less intense methods of induction, such as stripping membranes a couple of days before to see if that kick starts natural labor?  Or, start on a low dose of pitocin? 

    I had my membranes stripped last week and a few days later i dilated more. So it helped some. I plan on sex, reflexology and just trying to relax to see if I can get the baby going (im very tense bc of this situation).

    I highly doubt ill end up with a c/s since im favorable and I had DS already vaginally. We'll see. i would have to be dragged into the OR if that was the case.

    Thanks for the advice ladies. Lets just hope I go earlier than the 16th, if not ill go for the induction. 

    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    image
    imageimageimageimage
  • I'm in a similar situation as well.  My DH is starting a fellowship across the country 2 weeks before my due date.  I'll be following him out there two months after the baby is born, but for now I'm not going anywhere.  Luckily, he's able to take off a week whenever I go into labor to fly home, but there's no guarantee he'll make it in time for the delivery.  I'm pretty terrified of doing it without him (I'm the type of person who just wants him in the room, not even my mom).  This all might be irrelevant since at 35 weeks LO is still breech so a scheduled c-section might be in my future, although I really would like to avoid that. 

    Whatever decision you make has to be the right one for you and your family, and for me having DH there for the delivery and the week following would be so important.  Especially since LO will already be 39 weeks.  Good luck!

Sign In or Register to comment.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards