1st Trimester
Options

majorly TMI - sorry - need advice

2»

Re: majorly TMI - sorry - need advice

• Options

I had the same problem and thought I was going to die!!  Miralax is safe during pregnancy and works wonders. 

Best Wishes

Paradise 

• Options

I had the same problems first trimester and my dr put me on an over-the-counter stool softener (I take one dose daily) that can counteract the constipation often caused by prenatal vitamins. 

She also told me about 2 laxatives that were safe to take if I had gone 3 days without a BM, but of course I can't remember the names of them now... ask your dr!

Also, glycerin suppositories can be used (they are inserted), and they cause  a BM within the hour. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Ouch!  That's happened to me before too!

Everyone's given some really great advice!  The only thing I'd add is after this passes, try to make sure to make time everyday to try to go even if you don't feel like you need to.  I've found that I was able to "train" myself to poo around the same time every day, which has prevented me from getting too stopped up!

Good luck!

• Options
    Try a warm bath to help relax everything. Drink lots and lots of water! I also found that eating a cup of yogurt everyday has helped me tremendously. Of course it takes about a week to get regular again but it is 100% safe. In the mean time a nice warm bath will help so much <3
  • Options
    Im not sure if this will help but when I had my first prenatal checkup my OB gave me a list of meds that are safe to take while pregnant. Laxatives include Colace/Peri-Colace, Fibercon, Metamucil, Milk of Magnesia, and Senokot. All are OTC drugs. I completely understand what you are going through my doctor just put me on Iron and it is starting to make it worse but once you get past this my OB recommended mixing some metamucil powder in with one meal a day so it wont get to the point you are at now. It will act like a stool softener and help to keep you regular. Just remember not to strain! And you know yourself better than any of us would if you think you are in too much pain then contact your doctor. Sometimes a phone call to your OB helps you feel better no matter how silly/embarrassing you think the problem might be! Hope this helps!!
  • Options

I had this problem a few times and it was intense..I cried too and had a hard time sitting for the next day or two. I didn't call the doc though because I thought it was something that I was just lacking in my diet, aside from the fact that it's just truly embarrassing to tell anyone about it in the first place (for me anyway). So here was my fix:

1. I kept my parents magazine in the bathroom at all times, this helps so when I read it helps distract me from the pain.

2. Change positions...I leaned forward a lot, sometimes sideways or leaned back..I'd put my foot up on the tub..these little shifts can help, but only so much.

3. This is what fixed my problem...stool softeners didn't work for me so I really had to think about what I was lacking in my diet. Fiber. Once I finally made it off the can, I made a HUGE pan of stir fry veggies and ate as much as I could in one sitting...I pooped twice the next day with ease. Problem solved. Once I managed to keep my fiber up, I haven't really had any issues.

The solution is natural, simple, and good for both you and your baby. :) 

• Options
    MSC03MSC03 member

I just wanted to say that I'm sorry. That sounds unbelievably painful.

I get the most relief if I prop my feet up and lean back, letting gravity help. In a serious (literal) bind one day, I've actually reached up my vag while trying to push and "coached" it along a bit--I could clearly feel the mass through the back of my vag wall.

And post-tear, I usually put some neosporin on the outer area to try to help it heal faster.

imageimage
  • Options
    imageColeslawcat:

I was on the zofran pump my last pregnancy. I had a huge dose of zofran entering my system around the clock and it was awful. My doctor did ok laxatives in my case, but they didn't help either. Eventually he told me the best solution was manual extraction. And yes, it's exactly what it sounds like. You buy some latex gloves and help your body work it out. It sounds very disgusting, and it is very disgusting, but it was better than the alternative. I was actually passing out on the toilet repeatedly trying to go.

This - and K-Y jelly.  Yes, gross, but you can do it yourself or end up having a nurse take care of the 'impacted stool' for you (which I thought would be worse, so I took care of it myself).  I've never taken zofran, but I have struggled a lot with constipation all my life.  Best preventative advice - LOTS of fibre, water and eat yogurt regularily (or take a probiotic supplement if you can't tollerate yogurt).  I feel your pain, sweetie!! Best of luck! XoXo

• Options

I take Zofran AND Colace...my doc says you can take up to 6 pills in a 24-hour period...(This whole conversation is TMI, but we need solutions, right?)

Anyway...I had to take 3 Colace pills before I could 'get things a movin'....and when it finally decides to move....make sure your family steers clear of the restroom for awhile! LOL Surprise

Good Luck...and know there are lots of other women out there dealing with the same 'crap'...lol...sorry, bad joke...lol

• Options

what tha frick?  someone's SN is salina stilborn?  yeah. nice.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageLinnea_Ann:

Ouch!  That's happened to me before too!

Everyone's given some really great advice!  The only thing I'd add is after this passes, try to make sure to make time everyday to try to go even if you don't feel like you need to.  I've found that I was able to "train" myself to poo around the same time every day, which has prevented me from getting too stopped up!

Good luck!

This! I found that after so many years of this, my body had adapted to holding more, so my body did not trigger me to go until it was bigger than most people's. The above helped a lot.

imageimage

imageimage

image  image

• Options

I can't say I've every had this bad of constipation, but going on the PNVs really made me constipated and one thing the doctor recommended was to push or massage your perineum while you're attempting to push it out.  You'll typically be able to feel the constipated feces through your skin and pushing on that are helps to push it out and smooth out some of the painful bumps. 

Sorry if that's gross but it's worked the couple times I've needed it.

Good luck! 

• Options
    Ive had it this bad.. and i ended up calling my dr, she gave me a prescription to take to help with constipation and told me other things that I needed to eat more of to help make sure it didn't get this bad again. it hurts tremendously.. but one of those things that comes along with pregnancy.
  • Options
    I had the same problem during my first trimester.  I drank 2 big glasses of prune juice (nasty stuff but it does the trick) and within a half hour I had the opposite problem but in the end felt so much better!  Then I started having a small glass each day for a couple weeks and added more fiber into my diet-I'm now in my second trimester and haven't had any more issues for a long time thankfully!  Fiber one chocolate bars are a great snack and they have like 30% of your daily fiber-Fiber one also makes pancake mix and other products.  Good luck!
  • Options
    DO NOT take a laxative!  They are very bad for you when you're pregnant.  I have always suffered from constipation as I was born premature and here are some of my best tips.... The best thing you can do is continue to take stool softeners and supplement your diet with healthy bacteria (think activia), prune juice, plum juice, apple juice, pears, oranges (not orange juice but oranges).  Also I know it sounds like the last thing you want to do since you're in pain but try to walk a lot!  At least 10 min 5x a day.  The pace doesn't need to be fast but walking around helps loosen things up. Theses things promote bowel movements.  If you don't have a movement in a day or two call the doctor but there is not much they can give you.  Sorry you're in so much pain and hope you feel better soon
  • Options
    Up your fiber intake too. I have an apple every day. Celery apparently is a good choice. All cereal I have for breakfast are high in fiber. I was also on morning sickness meds, Zofran (which had a side effect of making me constipated) and Phenergan (which had a side effect of making me tired). Luckily my morning sickness got better (at week 19!!) and I stopped taking the Zofran and that helped tremendously. Good luck!
  • Options
    The increased levels of progesterone slow your body's digestive system + iron in the prenatal vitamins can contribute to major constipation.  Avoid laxatives, but Colace stool softener is safe.  The usual dose of Colace is twice daily and it really helps!  That plus ample fluids and fiber (eat lots of fruit, prunes, etc) will help you feel normal again :) 
  • Options

Ha, I was just itching to rep the Activia! I had this problem, after thinking that I would be immune because I eat so much fiber to begin with, but it hit me hard. To prevent it again, try starting the day with fiber one cereal and some digestive enzymes and fish oil supplements. Also, if you're allowed, a serving of caffeine. I prefer PG tips tea. Then, add Activia until you're happy. I eat one with every meal. Also, bananas and other fruits just give you extra fiber. With all this, I go once per day without any issues. Sometimes dairy can constipate too, so try cutting that out. Almond milk is really good!

Also, look up Hypnobirthing techniques. They have you practice the delivery breathing when you're going twos, and it works perfectly to prevent hemorroids.

Good luck! This too shall pass... ;)

• Options
    sorry sweetie! i just had my 1st baby 3weeks ago and i know where you are coming from sad thing is it goes away 2tri but comes back 3tri. as for now TMI reach up in there and pull it out :) just so you can go to work then get you some raisans oatmeal apple juice and keep it coming and DO NOT stop also Cherioes help even eating them dry as a snack, as for right now sweetie you just got to go through it- good luck
  • Options

been there!!!!  on a few occasions it got that bad.

what I did first was I had at least 2-3 bottles of water a day and stayed away from sweet drinks for 1-2 days-- too stayed away from bad carbs that bind you up more for about 1-2 days and ate fiber and mutigrain. i ate oatmeal, sweet potatoes, squash...etc  . also 3-5 prunes helped too.

it will eventually come out.. it maybe painful regardless .brace yourself

• Options

I have heard that constipation is a problem for most women during pregnancy. I thankfully have not had this issue. In fact I have had the opposite. When talking with my doctor about it we came to the conclusion that it is my high fiber diet that is saving me from this uncomfortable symptom. So before you take any medicines I would try a few food tricks.

1. Try drinking a cup of coffee... I know we are not supposed to have coffee but one cup is alowed. Coffee beans are natural dieretics. So it helps aide in the process and can help get things moving.

2. Switch to whole wheat pasta... if you cook the noodles a little bit longer than you would normally it helps to make them taste more like plain noodles.

3. I have a bowl of multigrain cereal every morning with a fiber one bar as a snack.

4. Stay away from leafy green vegetables... they can back you up and cause more problems.

5. This might sound weird... but I have found that bananas help with constipation and gas. It is healthy and safe way to relieve some of the bloating and pain.

I hope this helps. You don't have to take all these procautions at once but if you intermingle them in with your regular diet routines they should help.

• Options

Yes.  Always call your doctor for something like this.  They are there to make your pregnancy go as smoothly as possible.  And they have the up-to-date pregnancy safety rating for every drug.

My doctor would gladly answer this type of question without making me feel the least bit embarrassed for having asked it. 

• Options

You poor thing! I have found that the Fiber One chewy granola-type bars are not only delicious and good for you, but they will seriously make you poop in less than 24 hours. Also try Yoplait Fiber One yogurt. Super yummy. Sunsweet ONES single serve prunes (sound gross, but are very tasty...like a huge sweeter raisin) are also great. All have the ability to make you gassy, but being gassy is better than being constipated (at least for you, maybe not for those around you).

After your current problem is alleviated, keep eating these things and you "shouldn't" have any other problems. And drink a lot of water! 

Good luck and feel better!

• Options
    You poor thing.. ouchy. I haven't had this problem (yet). But, my friends in my mommy circle often talk about taking a stool softner.. It sounds like the exact problem that they ALL have had!! Hope this helps.
  • Options

I feel for you! I went through this with my DS and my DD. I used fleets enemas. It helped me tremendously! I swear by them and I had no problems during pregnancy. You go to the restroom within minutes and it doesn't stay in your system like all of those other methods that you take by mouth. I am uncomfortable with those things. You can find the enemas in the store easily for like two bucks. I used to be afraid of that word "enema" but after suffering severe constipation (which began to make me feel nauseous also), It was a life saver!

I hope I helped! 

• Options

I was the same! I was 8 weeks and so constipated I was miserable.  My dr told me Miralax. I drank it and it tasted like water.  In a day I was cleaned out and have been regular since!! I swear on it.. it just doesn't work right away.  But it softens and helps you go.

Christina

• Options
    It seems like many of the ladies on here are in agreement so I would just like to add another voice. It's not TMI when there are so many women going through the same experiences. Granted we are sharing with strangers, but it's easier than trying to describe it to a friend or your husband who have never experienced this before. I'm 20 weeks and still taking Zofran to curb the nausea. I began having constipation problems around Week 10 or so. My doctor does have me on Colase (2x/day) for the remainder of my pregnancy (it's easier to prevent than to fix). I found that eating a lot more fresh fruits like strawberries, cantaloupe, bannanas, ect - really have helped with keeping things more regular and less painful.  Good luck!!
  • Options
    I agree it's not TMI when so many of us have experienced this or are going through this.  I had fibroids during my pregnancy and I went through it - it hurt so badly that I thought it would send me into premature labor!   My doctor recommended eating bananas and prunes and drink a glass of Metamucil every day along with drinking about 10-12 glasses of water per day (like my bladder needed it! LOL).  But it really helped my constipation problems go away!  Hope we were able to help- good luck!
  • Options

I had constipation with my 2nd pregnancy.  Not as bad but it still really hurt. So from day 1 of finding out i was prego this time, I have been taking 3 colace every night with my pnv.  The dr said its fine & I go just about every day. Its almost like clock work. Its still hard at times but it really helps. Also after putting off taking it til the last minute with my last pregnancy I noticed it said on the bottle that it takes a week to start working.  So its not really good for immediate relief.  My dr gave me a list of ok over the counter meds & it says colace, fiber-con, citrucel, & metamucil are all good laxatives & are ok to take. I hope you feel better.

• Options

I had the same problem. You can take dulcolax- it is a suppository. It usually works in about 20 minutes. Keep  taking colace (actually costco has a brand that is generic for colace for SUPER  cheap- because you will probably need it for your whole pregnancy, and after)

Just dont push- youll get hemmrhoids, and remember to drink tons of water!

• Options

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it in their post, apple juice!

To avoid constipation, drink as much water as possible and about every three days, I have a nice cold glass of apple juice. Enjoy it! In a few months, it will be a staple in the fridge. Half apple juice and half water in a sippy cup, gets rid of children's constipation also. :)  This was medical advice given to me but a peditrician, believe it or not! It's the cheapest way to avoid going to the doctor with kids.

Don't know why it works, but it does. It's one of those awesome home remedies. 

In your case, I'd call the doctor first and go from there. Once this one passes (hopefully, it already has! <3 ) I'd try the apple juice regimen. Good luck.

• Options
    I was just at the doc for the exact same reason. And I have already had a trip to the ER after not being able to go for 7 days. At the ER they gave me an enema and that worked great. A few weeks later I had been taking colace for 5 days and still nothing. I went to the doc and she told me to go to the store and get MILK OF MAGNESIA. It is a stimulant free laxative that is safe during pregnancy. I am 14 weeks along and have been constipated since day one. Hope this helps, Ive been there and done that.
  • Options
    For now, you can't do much but wait. In the future, drink as much water as you can. I have had much less constipation than my friends who don't. I don't even like drinking water...
  • Options

Dude! Constipation is my middle name. Taking colase daily will not hurt you. I also add a few flax seed oil tablets, (or a swig of flax seed oil daily), and a few fiber pills too. My doctor sugested milk of mag. if things get bad, (may i suggest cherry flavored?). You don't want to take the MOM more than a few times a week, it can mess with your electrolytes. A more natural alternative is something called "smooth move" tea. You can find this at the grocery store where they sell the organic stuff. They have a tea for just about everyting here, including your issue. One note, i do not suggest drinking the tea the night before you have to go to the office. When i used it, it worked great, but let's just say things got loud! Good luck.

• Options

Girl - totally feel your pain.  I actually went to the emergency room with severe (and I mean SEVERE) abdominal pains and was diagnosed with FOS (Full of...sh@! - yes, my doctor is a comedian....) Anyway - I am now on Miralax and it is fabulous.  Perfectly safe and I will probably be on it the duration of the pregnancy.  Check with your doctor for sure - but I have had friends who've had to go on it as well and had great results.  It's over the counter and you can pick it up at any drugstore and most grocery stores.  Good luck and I hope you feel better!!!!

• Options
    This is totally gross, but it totally works. It may be a little uncomfortable and you'll definitely need to clean up afterward, but this always works for me. To get out a poo that's stuck in your rectum, I recommend getting your finger nice and wet and then gently wiggling it intoyor anus and wiggling until you can't hold it in anymore. When you unplug your butt, you'll likely have a big fat poo follow your finger out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"