2nd Trimester
Options

H1N1...Who's Not Getting Vaccinated?

Re: H1N1...Who's Not Getting Vaccinated?

• Options
    IMO, I'd take a chance on a "syndrome", a rash, some soreness or a fever over getting the virus.  Just sayin'.
  • Options

I just think the facts are interesting. When you look up the actual statistics of occurances or regular flu, and h1n1. :) 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    You should make your own decision with your doctor's input. I am getting both vaccines because I feel that the benefits outweigh the risks. You may not come to the same conclusion and that's ok. Just own it.
  • Options

The entire staff of all of the hospitals in my area ar getting the flu mist vaccine (regular and H1N1). It protects them from the flu, but it makes them infectious to everyone they come in contact with for 21 days! We joked about it and I was told to stay very far away from the hospital.

Renee, not true, that's a rumor, though the virus is live it is inhaled into your nasal passages and can't be infectious to others, this is straight from my Dr.  but if ur worried about it just get the shot, pregos aren't supposed to get the mist anyway!

• Options
    imagekimbarnes83:

imageTXTwisterBabe:
    Didn't you just post this same topic last week?

Yep, I wanted to hear it again.

Don't be mean to me, Hooter!  I'll throw down!  :P 

If I didn't know any better I'd say you were just trying to stir up the board.  Kudos for that, it's been boring today.

• Options
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagenotforever:

i'm not getting it. i just don't feel safe subjecting my baby to it. i mean, i haven't even taken so much as a tylenol! yes you hear that it's safe, just like the seasonal flu vaccine... but i don't feel like there's been enough testing done on either one to really know. especially the h1n1 vaccine.

there's SO much media hype over it this flu. the regular flu kills something like 250 000- 500 000 around the world every year, yet no one's panicking about that. i figure i'll take all the precautions i can to prevent getting sick. that makes me feel much safer than injecting who knows what into my body.  

All they are injecting into your body is a dead version of the virus.  The only thing different between this vaccine and the seasonal flu shot is the virus itself... so I can't see what a bunch of testing will do anyway, since this vaccine and the seasonal one are so similar.  And sure there is a lot of hype, and I probably would ignore it in any other situation, but being pregnant puts you at a higher risk of death, and maybe even losing LO.  And even with precautions, being that this virus is airbourne, you can get it just as easily as breathing it in, like at a grocery store or at work. 

image  imageimage image

O13 March Siggy Contest: AnArChY (I do what I want- & I want FOUR GIFS!)

• Options
    imageTXTwisterBabe:
    imagekimbarnes83:

imageTXTwisterBabe:

If I didn't know any better I'd say you were just trying to stir up the board.  Kudos for that, it's been boring today.

I was just telling Nanny... Wish I got something for the "Points," you know?  Like cupcakes... 

• Options
    I'm not going to get it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagerowdytexan:

I just think the facts are interesting. When you look up the actual statistics of occurances or regular flu, and h1n1. :) 

The reason for the hype is not that there are more occurrences. Although it is waaaay too early to tell at this point. In my bubble of a world, H1N1 seems to be very contagious and the actual flu season hasn't gotten underway yet. There is also a real risk to pregnant women. This flu goes deeper into the lungs than the regular flu and with reduced lung capacity, pregnant women are in danger of serious problems.

Whenever I have been pregnant during flu season, I have gotten the flu shot because it is recommended that I do so by my doctors. Regardless of the type of flu.

• Options
    imagekimbarnes83:
    imageTXTwisterBabe:
    imagekimbarnes83:

imageTXTwisterBabe:

I was just telling Nanny... Wish I got something for the "Points," you know?  Like cupcakes... 

Ooooh!  Or cookies!!!

• Options
    I don't get why everyone is saying it is way too new? If you get the seasonal flu shot than you are being a hypocrite. The seasonal flu is a new strain every year.  The H1N1 strain is new but manufactured the same way.  If they had gotten the vaccines started earlier, the H1N1 would BE in the seasonal flu.  I am not comfortable putting myself, my baby or my 2 other children at risk for serious complications so we will all be getting the vaccine. We have already gotten our seasonal flu vaccine.  A lot of people that are so against it are getting their research from others who are anti vaccine and will write things to skew opinions.   I see the same exact reasoning..."the seasonal flu kills this many people and nobody is talking about that."  There is a risk with any vaccine you get, not just the H1N1 vaccine.
  • Options
    imageTXTwisterBabe:
    imagekimbarnes83:
    imageTXTwisterBabe:
    imagekimbarnes83:

imageTXTwisterBabe:

Ooooh!  Or cookies!!!

Yummah!!! 

• Options
    imagealmostabuck:

Bring it!!! 

• Options

I think they need to have a "chill pill" vacc. Stick out tongue

• Options

imagekimbarnes83:

The link between vaccines and autism has been pretty effectively disproven. I didn't watch the video, but if a doc is being publicized by autism websites, I'm a little suspicious. 

Based on everything I've heard, autism is a genetic condition. 

my read shelf:
    Erin's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    imagerowdytexan:

Get one to "Almostabuck" stat!  Not sure she's going to make it! 

• Options
    imagekimbarnes83:
    imagerowdytexan:

thank you for bringing some excitement to the board today :) even though it  was h1n1 related. lol

• Options
    I teach an autistic class and have done my reasearch on this theory through medical reports and interviewing many, many parents of autistic children. Sorry, I don't believe that the mercury or thimerosal cause autism and neither do the parents that I work with whose children are autistic or the majority of people working in the autism field....at least my co-workers here and in the next county.
  • Options
    imagekimbarnes83:
    imagerowdytexan:

oh fvck off. i dont care what you do. it's your decision, your body, your baby, your choice.

and my 1 doctor is my OB. k thx.

• Options
    imagefellesferie:

imagekimbarnes83:

The link between vaccines and autism has been pretty effectively disproven. I didn't watch the video, but if a doc is being publicized by autism websites, I'm a little suspicious. 

Welp.  Everything you've heard has only been from one "camp" obviously.   

• Options
    i have found that multiple sources are saying that the squalene oil/adjuvents they are putting in the vaccine can lead to autoimmune disorders. i don't think that's in the regular flu vaccine is it?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagekkalina:
    imagekimbarnes83:
    imagerowdytexan:

thank you for bringing some excitement to the board today :) even though it  was h1n1 related. lol

*throws back a handful of popcorn*

Welcome!! :) 

• Options
    imageHeather R:

If only there were a Glen Beck commentary that followed, then I might actually be sold....

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Got mine today.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagekimbarnes83:
    imageTXTwisterBabe:
    imagekimbarnes83:
    imageTXTwisterBabe:
    imagekimbarnes83:

imageTXTwisterBabe:

Ooooh!  Or cookies!!!

Yummah!!! 

::butting in:: my co-worker just brought me a no-bake cookie. I'll share. ::butts out, passing 1/3 cookie to txtwisterbabe & 1/3 to kim::

On a side note: should I change my screen name picture since it is a hog?

• Options
    i dont know why and it may be because i have a strange love for zombie movies, but everytime people talk about the h1n1 virus/shot i feel like its an antidote for people not to turn into zombies. lol im off my rocker i know but i cant help but always think that when i see people lined up like cattle to get a shot.
  • Options

imagenotforever:
    i have found that multiple sources are saying that the squalene oil/adjuvents they are putting in the vaccine can lead to autoimmune disorders. i don't think that's in the regular flu vaccine is it?

They make vaccines with adjuvents, but in the US this is illegal so our vaccines do not contain them. Only in Europe do they allow them in their vaccines.

• Options

OB and GP both said no, so I'm not. I think even if they'd told me they'd like to see me get it I probably still wouldn't have. We don't know the long term affects its going to have on anyone let alone pregnant women and their babies, thats one of a few reasons the doctors gave me not to get it.

• Options
    imagevshadd00:
    imagekimbarnes83:
    imageTXTwisterBabe:
    imagekimbarnes83:
    imageTXTwisterBabe:
    imagekimbarnes83:

imageTXTwisterBabe:

Ooooh!  Or cookies!!!

Yummah!!! 

::butting in:: my co-worker just brought me a no-bake cookie. I'll share. ::butts out, passing 1/3 cookie to txtwisterbabe & 1/3 to kim::

On a side note: should I change my screen name picture since it is a hog?

Thank you!! :)

You might wanna' change your picture.  They might try to poke you with a needle. :( 

• Options
    imageEmmab12:

imagenotforever:

They make vaccines with adjuvents, but in the US this is illegal so our vaccines do not contain them. Only in Europe do they allow them in their vaccines.

as far as i know, that's all we have are the adjuvenated vaccines right now where i live, and i'm in canada.

• Options
    imagekimbarnes83:
    imagefellesferie:

imagekimbarnes83:

Welp.  Everything you've heard has only been from one "camp" obviously.   

I've read both sides. I do think that all of the anecdotal evidence of behavioral changes after vaccines is interesting.

The original study that linked autism with mercury found in vaccines has undergone quite a bit of scrutiny and was found faulty. Even one of the authors has publicly admitted that the methodology was screwy. Also, no other study that's been performed has backed up the results of the original.

Instead, there's a LOT of data showing that it's genetic. Why else would the siblings of an autistic child be at a significantly increased risk?

I understand and I sympathize with parents who are going through this and try to link vaccines and autism causally, but the science simply isn't there. Maybe they'll find something in the future, who knows.. but they don't have it right now. I blame Jenny McCarthy and Jim Carey for a lot of the anti-vaccine hysteria, and I'd rather take the advice of the vast majority of the medical community. 

my read shelf:
    Erin's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    This is exactly why I stopped going back and forth with folks on this one ... the arguments are absurd for not getting the vaccine ... not at all medically sound but seem to be most based on "medical common sense," or what someone's sister's, doctor's, mother's husband's, little cousin KiKi's, big brothers' homeless friend said ... or again, "medical common sense" which in a lot of cases is ass backwards ... not at all medically sound and seriously ... fox news as a source ... wow ... yep ... I'll leave ya'll to it. Stick out tongue
  • Options
    imagenotforever:
    imageEmmab12:

imagenotforever:

as far as i know, that's all we have are the adjuvenated vaccines right now where i live, and i'm in canada.

Thanks for sharing. I read a study about adjuvents in vaccinations (not that there is anything proven to be wrong with adjuvents) but I read that they were only shipped to Europe, obviously I was misinformed, but I do know that the US does not allow them! :-)

• Options

imagekkalina:
    im not getting it, its way too new for me. you couldnt pay me money to take that shot. i never get the regular flu shot either. i personally dont understand all this flu hysteria. i seriously feel like people are going nuts over it for no reason. wash your hands often, carry santizer with you, dont touch your face after being in a public area. i mean its just common sense. My dr is highly AGAINST me getting it as well.

Agreed-It's too new-  I don't trust it.

• Options
    imagefellesferie:

imagekimbarnes83:

On the CDC website the Board of Medicine did a study in 2004 attempting to link Autism to thermisol, but could not prove it.  Many studies have disproven this theory.  They say a ton of things cause Autism, but no facts have been proven.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagenotforever:

No, again on the CDC website, it addresses this specific question.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"