Parenting
Options

Bump Contest: Share a pregnancy/post-pregnancy fitness tip

Re: Bump Contest: Share a pregnancy/post-pregnancy fitness tip

• Options

Go to the gym with a friend...it is so much more movating.  And I like to switch up the classes that I go to, so everyday you have something different and challenging.  As for diet...have a cheat day.  Pick one day of the week to eat whatever you want.  It will make sticking to a healthy diet easier and will still help you lose the weight!

• Options
    Long walks around the neighborhood with the baby and staying active.  There are tons of videos you can do at home - so no excuses!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Working out doesn't have to be time consuming or a task you dread or fear. You can simply add more fitness throughout your day by parking a little further away from your destination and walking, getting up in between commercials and doing low-impact weights or crunches, buying a yoga/pilates DVD and engaging in 15-30 min of deep breathing and stretching excercises. Even housework burns calories - washing the dishes, laundry, sweeping/moping! You can also make it more enjoyable by bringing your new little blessing with you on a walk around the neighborhood, or stroll through the mall. I've found I'm more motivated during the day, on my lunch break than before or after work. I sneak in 30 min to an hour of aerobic excercise and instantly feel more energized and ready to tackle the rest of the day!

IdeaTIP: Get inspired with your favorite music! Make a playlist on your iPod and crank up the tunes to get motivated!

• Options
    I stayed as active as possible while pregnant and the wii fit really helped.  Even though the step aerobics isn't as vigorous as the step workouts I was used to it is a really nice way to still get a good workout and the balance activities really help too since your balance is is off during pregnancy too.  It's a lot of fun at the same time.  Even without the wii fit, the simple wii sports games that come with wii offer some great exercise benefits if you play them the way you would truly play the sport too.
  • Options
    Make sure you exercise before, during, & after pregnany.  This will prepare your body for everything & help you lose weight faster.  Walking with a friend is a fun exercise for me.
  • Options
    I plan to eat healthy, walk, and exercise with my baby.  I think having her with me will be enough motivation to get anything done!  I've also heard that doing mommy & me yoga is very beneficial and fun.  I'm thinking about trying this first since she will be born right at the beginning of the Ohio winter.
  • Options
    Breastfeeding is a great way to start the post pregnancy weight loss.  It helps to make your uterus contract back to what it was pre-baby.  Also, I have heard that the belly bandit is a great way to help get your shape back.  Before I became pregnant I took Belly Dancing classes.  I have had to stop while I am in my third trimester and I have unfortuntly gained alot of weight (per my doctor) but once I have received the ok to go back I can not wait to go back and dance away my jiggly belly.  It is fun and does not feel like you worked out, it feels like you went an hung out with a great group of girls and got some excersise to boot.  It also builds your confidence.
  • Options
    Don't think that the baby weight is going to come right off after you give birth.  You have to have resonable expectations on losing weight, or else you will start to feel defeated and give up!  I found a fitness center with a childcare center for my son at 3 months.  Not only did I get an hour of time to myself, but this arrangement gaot him used to being around other caregivers.  I haven't lost those last 5 pounds, but it doesn't matter because I feel like I am in the best shape of my life!
  • Options
    JAZZ up your workouts pre and post baby with MUSIC!  It is a great motivator to get your workout started and baby will love the music as well.  It is also a great excuse to pick up some new tunes on oyuru Ipod or on CD.  Use baby as well in your workouts...lift him as weights, push him (and other weighty items) in your stroller to increase your resistence on walks/runs, play peek-a-boo with baby while doing sit ups, make the baby your focal point during intense exercises to keep your mind focused.  There are sooooooo many ways to get a little exercise in your routine throughout the day!
  • Options

We started with a high fiber and protein diet when we got home.  There are so many things you can freeze and eat in this category.  Anytime I rocked the baby I did lunges or squats at the same time.  It calmed him (and me) and gave some extra activity.  Baby yoga and mall walking helped too.  Good luck mamas!

• Options
    Just make sure you get a shower first thing every morning when you get up with the baby!!! The days I got up, got a shower and got ready for the day early, I felt 10 times better! It's ok to relax a be lazy once in a while, but doing it when you feel clean is so much nicer!
  • Options

It is always nice to eat healthy and exercise while you are pregnant..and many women say they are going to...but truth is that many of us are either too sick, too hungry, or too tired to follow a regular healthy eating & work out routine as a mom-to-be.

After telling myself that I wouldn't "let myself go" while pregnant, I had gained a whopping 60lbs by the time my son was born in February 2009. So far, in the last 7 months I have lost 52lb...how you ask? I have been following the weightwatcher's dieting program (from my home, and with my fiance'...it's nice to not be the only one on a diet) to get back on track with healthy portion conscious eating habits. Also, I am taking a half an hour out of everyday to either take my son for a walk, jog on our treadmill, or dance to a workout tape /cd with the baby.

My motivation is wanting to fit back into all my pre-pregnancy clothes, pick a goal and strive for it. The key is determination and an "I can do it" attitude.

Good luck ladies! YOU CAN DO IT!

<3 Kim

• Options

Start by working out during your pregnancy, even if it's only 15 minutes a day. Keeping your body in shape throughout your pregnancy makes it easier to bounce back afterwards. Once baby is born just continue a healthy eating pattern and excersise routine. Even if it's just walking or stretching. When you have the energy find fun workouts to do with baby. (It's easier to get motivated to work out when you get to play with your new little one while you workout). HYDRATE HYDRATE HYDRATE. Keeping your body hydrated will help you shed those extra pounds. Big Smile

• Options

While pregnant with my twin girls I lived on fruit...strawberries and mangoes!  *yum*  I gained 32 pounds and felt fabulous!  After giving birth, I tried to remain as active as I had during my entire pregnancy...housework, walking, etc...  Just returning to my normal level of activity rather than remaining in bed or on the couch helped me to not only lose all of my baby weight, but an additional 11 pounds!  It sounds cliche, but so true...eat well, remain active!  Your body will take care of the rest!

My girls and I now love to go for walks around the neighbourhood and dance around the house whenever we get the chance!

• Options
    I think breastfeeding helped. I had lost all the weight, PLUS some at my 6 week checkup. But then I used my Wii Fit to help get things toned and in shape again.
  • Options
    Workout during your pregnancy (provided that your doctor allows it) and you are more likely to stay within the recommended weight gain range for your body type. This will help the weight come off faster afterwards, as well as help the delivery process.
  • Options
    I have heard that the best and safest way to keep in shape during pregnancy and immediately after is - walking! I am 13 weeks pregnant now, and have been walking everyday.
  • Options

EVERYONE has told me to breastfeed and it will all come right off. All of these other tips are really helpful.

• Options

Find a buddy!  I have a hard time to be motivated between morning sickness and being tired so I buddy up with a friend or family member to meet me somewhere for a walk for yoga class so that I make sure to show up.

Make it a date night with your partner, a few times a week you both go for a long walk together so it seems more like fun than work.

• Options
    Everyday during my pregnancy I wake up early and head out for a walk around the neighborhood with my dogs. Nothing motivates me to get a little excercise like the excitement of those two every morning.
    Stacydlynn Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

To cut the weight fast and quick, begin doing cardio 3-4 times a week for at least 30min-45min. Weights need to be done every other day. Do lots of repetition with lighter weight compared to maxing your body out with a heavy weight. Try also joining a spinning class with a friend! Make your workouts fun and not a drag. Get yourself some music that will pump you up and keep you motivated! When it comes to eating, stick to ONLY chicken and fish for awhile along with steamed veggies. Allow yourself a salad with a little bit of dressing. Eat small meals 5 times a day and before too long you'll be back in shape! I would also suggest doing the P90X!

• Options
    Walking! At least 45-60 minutes a day.
  • Options
    Enjoy your new role, don't rush anything and take a little time to take care of yourself Smile
  • Options
    Do some form of exercise everyday. Even if all you can squeeze in is a brisk walk around the block, it will make a difference.
  • Options
    I lost my baby weight by going for a walk every day as a family. I called it our "15 minutes of Sunshine" and forced myself to walk on the days I didn't want to by saying it is only for at least 15 minutes so we will get enough sunshine to absorb vitamin d. Sounds silly but knowing I was taking care of the whole family by "walking them" helped me stay active even when I didn't feel like it. And surprisingly, after taking the walk I was always glad I did and always felt better. Now my family does 5k's together and I am in much better shape this pregnancy:)
  • Options
    I had my baby 2 months ago and have tried to make a point to get out and walk at least once a day.  Both baby Isabelle and our dog enjoy this as much as I do.  It helps us all relax!  I also had G.D. during pregnancy and had to really watch my diet and excersise.  I've just incorporated that style into my everyday life now!  I want us all to be healthy!
  • Options
    Take walks with your new baby!  Great exercise, great bonding experience... bring your other half, too and it's a family ritual :)
  • Options
    I have been doing modified, low impact step aerobics & kick boxing during my entire pregnancy.  After our little gal arrives, I plan to take walks with her on the trail near our home & do pilates videos at home.  After the 6-8 week break, I will return to the gym! [:D
  • Options
    prenatal yoga!
  • Options
    I heard the key is to keep active and I learned the hard way with my first baby. I had to get a personal tranier and with my second I am going to keep moving as much as I can. Yoga is also on the top of my routine.
  • Options
    While pregnant I went on the treadmill every night before bed that I could. My hope is that the baby will associate the WHOOSH sound of the treadmill with going down for the night. So after it is born - I will be encouraged to keep on the treadmill thoughout the winter. Mostly to help me get back in shape - but a good incentive to recreate that sound of "bedtime" to remind the baby it's time to SLEEP! :)
  • Options
    Breast feed for at least 6 months, and walk everyday! Both are great for you & baby!
  • Options
    Breastfeeding.....and get outside. It is good for you and baby.
  • Options

Get your DH in on your goal! This way, you can leave the baby with him to have some quality bonding time, and you can go do your thing. If he is in on your goal he can help you, whether it be rolling you out of bed in the morning before work or giving you some great compliments to feed your motivation. You are always more successful at something if there is someone rooting for you.

As for the actual work out, I would suggest anything in the water. There is much less stress on your body while really getting your heartrate going. I really am not much of a swimmer but just getting in there and even using a kickboard does wonders.

• Options

My tip is to involve the baby in exercise routine. It could mean walking or jogging with stroller, wearing baby and my favorite, dancing with baby.

member(dot) thao (at) gmail.com 

• Options
    I did weightwatchers, and it came off relatively easily.  It was easier with my second baby because I didn't gain too much to begin with - that was key.
  • Options

First, I stay as healthy as possible during pregnancy. I eat properly and take daily walks with my kids. I also go swimming and do yoga with them several times a week. By including them I am more likely to actually get moving because they have so much fun. I am expecting #4 and I will do the same things I did with the other 3. I will breastfeed exclusively, continue to eat properly, and continue my daily walks, swimming and yoga. However, I will also set aside time each week to do mommy/baby yoga with the new little one to help with enhance bonding.

When I need some alone time I hit the treadmill with my IPod!

• Options
    I Breastfeed and walk with my baby in a baby jogger.
  • Options

We moved to Denver and got a puppy when I was 5 months pregnant, so, to learn the area, I started walking our new pup EVERYWHERE.  I got to meet a lot of people (it was hard to miss me - the pregnant woman walking a new puppy twice a day).  And after my daughter was born, I kept it up!  I put her in her stroller, grab the puppy and we are off!  I even walk every afternoon with 2 of my neighbors (we are quite a sight: 3 women, 3 kids in strollers and 1 puppy) but it is great to get some exercise and talk.  We are even working up to jogging now!  I'm sure that before we even know it, the baby weight will melt away :)

• Options
    I make sure to schedule walks or gym time with friends that way I won't flake because someone else is counting on me being there!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"