Baby Names
Options

Sib set - Elliott and...

edited October 2016 in Baby Names
Olivia?

I didn't want a name so popular but H and I are stuck on it. Do you see any issues with this sib set? I won't say what it is but it didn't come to mind until a friend brought it up.

Re: Sib set - Elliott and...

• Options
    I think it sounds wonderful with Elliott
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Olivia and Elliott fill a many afternoons of binge watching for me. I definitely would not do the combo.

• Options
    Personally I like each name, Elliott and Olivia, and don't think there's necessarily a "problem" with it. Most people won't get the L&O reference, and if anyone asks you about it, just be strong in your commitment to the names and say it's merely a coincidence. If you're having doubts right now, though, how "stuck on it" are you? Can you change your mind and choose another name? Or use Olivia as a middle name?
  • Options
    We want to use the middle to honor someone. H doesn't like anything, this was the first he's been excited about. 
  • Options
    Do you want to honor the person enough to use it as a first? Just curious.
  • Options
    I think the two go well together. I'm one of the ones that does't get the reference. 
  • Options
    If we can agree on something. We'll likely just use the letter. 
  • Options
    I wouldn't say it's an issue. It took me a minute but I did get the reference. I love the show though.. and I also love both these names. 
    DD: Ophelia 5/18/15
  • Options
    I watch that show daily, but didn't even think of it. Some people would, and they'd definitely talk about it behind your back and giggle but then get over it, but ultimately they are fine names. But Olivia has been at the top of popularity for 5+ years it is SO TIRED. *Maybe* use it if you have a unique last name, but if she would be Olivia Smith, understand what you're doing. 
  • Options
    I actually forgot that his FN was Elliot until I saw the gif, haha. Some people will make the connection, some people won't. If it is a name that you both love and agree on, I would go for it, but if the popularity really bothers you I would move on to something else.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    I watch L&O and I didn't make the connection until somebody else pointed it out. My first thought was just that it's a nice sibset. I also don't think it's on the same level as Elsa and Anna. I'm actually more bothered by the popularity of the name Olivia than I am by the L&O connection.
    Anniversary 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I watch L&O and I didn't make the connection until somebody else pointed it out. My first thought was just that it's a nice sibset. I also don't think it's on the same level as Elsa and Anna. I'm actually more bothered by the popularity of the name Olivia than I am by the L&O connection.
    This.
  • Options
    I love Law and Order SVU and I binge watch it every Saturday and I didn't even think of Stabler and Benson. 
    I think the names go well together. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since September 2012
  • Options
    I am addicted to L&O and I didn't get the connection - perhaps that means I don't need an intervention just yet. I think they sound great together and the popularity of Olivia doesn't bother me - because it's popular because it's a great name, not trendy popular. We have a 6yr Olivia and I don't know of another one her age or in any of our other kids circles.
  • Options
    Yeah, I noticed, but I've watched A LOT of SVU, lol. I wouldn't let that stop me from using it... even if people do notice, who cares?  It's not a bad connection. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I think they sound good together.  I'm not one who got the reference at all.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! Exploring other options but it's hard to get past this one. I realize it
    is a top 5 name but if you compare the SSN numbers of top names today vs the 80's there is less likelyhood of 6 Olivias in a class (did that make sense?). 
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Unless you're okay with people constantly making the connection or jokes to Elliot and Olivia from Law & Order:SVU   I would not go with that
    Me:28 | DH: 28
    Married: 07-2014
    TTC #1: Since November 2015
    Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    BFP: 11/4/2016
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I like it. Never made the connection 
  • Options
    I like. I don't know what the reference is to..I never have watched much tv.
  • Options
    I do watch L & O: SVU, and I did think of Benson and Stabler. BUT, I don't think that connection would stop me from using a name if I loved it, and I certainly wouldn't side eye you or your children if you had an Elliott and Olivia pair. the reference is a non issue for me. I like Olivia as name, I think it's very pretty and classic.