Trouble TTC
Options

Temping question

I tried temping in the past, but it was pointless with how messed up my cycles were. I used OPKs for my most recent Clomid cycles but I have decided to go back to temping. I bought a new BBT and every single temp has come up 97.7. Is it suspicious that every single one is the same? The last time I temped the numbers were all over the place (which is why I bought a new one) and now it seems weird that they are all the same. 

Re: Temping question

• Options
    Yeah that sounds like a faulty thermometer to me!  I can have three days in a row with similar temps, but they are usually not the exact same!

Married since 2011

TTC since Oct 2014
    DOR + MFI
    3 failed IUIs; IVF August 2017
    FET January 2018 - BFP
  • Options
    I agree with @seethosestars. What kind of thermometer did you buy? I know on the TTGP board, everyone swears by Mabis, which is what I use. I've heard there are some brands that favor temps, but I'm not sure what kind.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The brand is BestMed? It was just whatever the drug store had. The big issue is that my dog wakes me up very early in the morning, so I take my temp in the dark. I also do not have my contacts in so I can't see the screen. I was relying on the fact that it claims to save the last temp. When I noticed a few days of the same temp, I did make a point to try to see the temp when it appeared. It read 97.7 again. Same thing this morning. If this doesn't work I swear I'm giving up on all this crap. 
  • Options
    @CowgirlK39 - I wouldn't give up on temping just because of a faulty thermometer. buy a Mabis and give it another shot.  I also take my temp in the dark - you're not supposed to move much before you take it, so turning on the lights would defeat that for me.

Married since 2011

TTC since Oct 2014
    DOR + MFI
    FET January 2018 - BFP
  • Options
    Agreed with @seethosestars. Temping can definitely be worth it, if only to give you some sense of control. The Mabis bbts are not super expensive and can be acquired from Amazon. I really like mine. 

FWIW my understanding is that Clomid can cause temp fluctuations while you're taking it--just something to be aware of when you start temping with a better bbt. A lot of people temp vaginally if they're getting rocky temps (regardless of whether they're on Clomid) because it makes the temp more stable. AFM I often have rocky temps, but I've always been able to see a clear shift so I stick with temping by mouth. Good luck!
  • Options
    So the past two days my temps have been even lower. This should be my fertile week and I'm getting the opposite of what I should be. I'm going to keep temping but this is very frustrating. 
  • Options
    you should expect low temps before ovulation - so during the fertile week the temperatures are still low.  Have you read Taking Charge of Your Fertility?  This is a great resource on temping.  You would expect to see a temperature rise AFTER ovulation (as evidenced by 3 high temps in a row).  Here's the link to check out: https://www.tcoyf.com

Married since 2011

TTC since Oct 2014
    DOR + MFI
    FET January 2018 - BFP
  • Options
    I knew that but what I'm saying is I keep seeing lower and lower temps. I'm hoping to see my temp come up soon since today is CD 14. 
  • Options
    Are you using OPKs, too? 
  • Options
    I usually have a temp dip the day of ovulation. It's not unusual to ovulate after CD14

Me 34 DH 36 Married since July 2010 
    MFI (High DNA Fragmentation) & Mild endometriosis
    TTC #1 since June 2015 
    Aug 2016 - May 2017  6 IUI's with letrozole - BFN
    April 2017 - laparoscopy to remove mild endo
    June 2017 - Mini IVF letrozole 12.5mg, Gonal-F 75IU - Cancelled early ovulation, no eggs retrieved. 
    Aug/Sept 2017 - Mini IVF letrozole 12.5mg, Gonal-F 75IU, cetrotide - 13 eggs retrieved, 11 mature
    5 eggs ICSI'd 6 eggs frozen - 1 day 5 blast transfered, 2 expanded blast frozen - BFP!
    May 2018 - Baby girl born - Our Joy

TTC #2 since July 2019
    July 2019 - FET - BFN
    Jan 2020 - FET - canceled due to family health issues
    Mar 2020 - FET - low beta - chemical pregnancy
    July 2020 - ICSI'd remaining 6 eggs - 3 fertilized - 2 survived to early blast stage, transfered both - Chemical Pregnancy

• Options
    No I'm not using OPKs this time. I have been using them all along and decided to try just temping instead.