Baby Names
Options

Thoughts on Lydia?

edited October 2016 in Baby Names
I came across Lydia in one of my name books and it really stuck with me. However, I don't know anyone with the name or who has used the name for a LO? What are your thoughts, ladies?

DH likes it, but feels like he would want to shorten it. I know that Liddy is a pretty common nickname for Lydia; are there others that I am missing?

Edited because I can't spell.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Thoughts on Lydia?

• Options
    Refreshing and underused. I've only known one my whole life. Not sure about nicknames though. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Eh it's definitely been climbing the charts and to me it's just ok.  All the lily, Lila, Leah and Lydia names run together for me since they all have spiked 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't care for Lydia personally because I can never hear the name without my brain singing "Lydia the Tattooed Lady" in a Groucho Marx voice. ("Lydia oh Lydia! That encyclo-pydia! Lydia the ta-ha-tooed lady!" etc) But I doubt the song is common knowledge at this point. It's a solid, classic name. My cousin's daughter is named Lydia and she never gets a nickname that I know of.
  • Options
    I love it. One of my daughters is Lydia. :) We do call her Lyddie for short sometimes, but I would say she just goes by Lydia primarily. We have met one or two others around her age, but it is FAR from overdone, yet classic and feminine.
    DD (8), DS (5), DD (3)
    baby #4 due March '17!
  • Options
    I will say we do get a lot of, "Oh, did you say Leah/Olivia?" and we need to repeat it for people who don't hear it correctly the first time, but that's not a big deal.
    DD (8), DS (5), DD (3)
    baby #4 due March '17!
  • Options
    I really like it. I think it's a lovely name. 
  • Options
    Great choice.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I really like Lydia. I probably wouldn't use a nickname but Liddy is cute. I can't think of any others though. 
    DD: Ophelia 5/18/15
  • Options
    I like it, DH vetoed it when we had DD.  I've only known one Lydia, in college, and she just went by Lydia.
  • Options
    I love it. I love that it's a Bible name, sounds sweet and feminine, but not overused. I know two under 10, and they both just go by Lydia. Liddy or Lia could work as nn.
  • Options
    Love it! It was our 2nd choice for our 3rd daughter but we ended up with Maxine because she just didn't look like a Lydia to me. But I adore it and I know only one other Lydia born recently. It's great!
  • Options

I love it. I don't think it's too used and while there are a lot of L names out there right now I personally think it sticks out.

• Options
    We have a Lydia and love it! I've only met a handful of others, and none in any immediate circles.

We do use Liddy or Lids occasionally, but she is primarily Lydia. We are complimented on it often and I've seen it a time or two on those personalized rounders where you buy some stupid trinket with your kids name on it - not all the time, but it is there, which is nice!

Anniversary g

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I like Lydia, but I can't name a child that because what's what I named my cat, and I had to put her down recently  after 18 years. It would make me sad.

But it's a pretty and classical name.
  • Options
    Love it, and I only know of one.
  • Options
    It's nms, but I don't dislike it 
  • Options
    Lydia is beautiful and I've only known a few in my life. :)
  • Options
    It's a real name, and pretty. Go for it!
    Pregnancy Ticker  
  • Options
    Love it. There's a sweet 6 year old at my daycare named Lydia. Her little sister calls her diddy, because she can't say Liddy. Sweetest thing ever!
  • Options
    Absolutely love Lydia! One of my top 3 choices for DD. I only know two Lydia's...one is 2 years old and the other is 30. 
  • Options
    Lydia is not my favorite but my opinion may be skewed by a girl I used to know.
  • Options
    I like Lydia, just won't use it myself as we have an Addilyn
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback, ladies! I am really, really digging it...I hope I can get DH on board!

A couple of other questions if anyone is still following thread:
    1. Does Lydia Katherine flow nicely?
    2. Are initials LKK problematic?
    3. Does DS's name James so well as a sibset?
  • Options
    1. Yes
    2. Not that I can think of
    3. Yes
  • Options
    1. Yes
    2. Not that I can think of
    3. Yes
    Agreed.
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback, ladies! I am really, really digging it...I hope I can get DH on board!

Sounds great together and Lydia and James make a cute sibset
  • Options
    It's our top name if we have a girl. I think it's a lovely name.

It's already a short name, I don't see why it needs a nickname. My personal opinion, I'm not going to name a child something planning to call them something else. If I wanted to call my child Lyddy or Dia, I would name them that. 
  • Options

Sounds great together and Lydia and James make a cute sibset
  • Options
    Lydia's a pretty name!
    1. Yes, it flows nicely. 2. No problem. 3. Lydia and James is a great sibset   :)
  • Options
    I know two little girls named Lydia (one 3.5, one 2). Great name and sounds nice with James! Lydia is short & doesn't need a nn.
  • Options
    Our niece's name - love it.

Me: 29 DH: 35

Married: 9/29/12

DS #1: 3/8/15