1st Trimester
Options

First pregnancy after miscarriage

Hello all,

I sadly miscarried my first baby on 3/18/16, just 11 weeks into pregnancy. It was devastaing and heartbreaking, and caused many weeks of pain. Amazingly, after getting my period again in April, we TTC and miraculously we suceeded! I got a pregnancy test two days ago. Except this time, it feels so diffferent...not as much joy and elation, it feels like a mixutre of amazement, gratefullness, as well as an overwhelming feeling of fear for the next few weeks and months to come. It really hasn't hit home yet that we are pregnant again and that this little one inside me is a different baby.  It doesnt' feel as magical and amazing as the first one did. I feel sad that my heart isn't in it yet, but my husband especially is feeling cautious and not wanting to get too emotionally involved until we know it will make it to full term. 
I have hope that there is a reason God blessed us with another baby, and I"m so in awe that it happened...but cautious and scared. 

Have any of you had a pregnancy immediately after miscarriage, and have a mix of emotions? Overwhelmed by this quick development?  Are you scared? We see the doctor in a week and a half to confirm it, but nausea has already set in and I have two positive pee sticks so I'm pretty sure I'm pregnant :) 
Grace

Re: First pregnancy after miscarriage

• Options
    Hi

I'm also pregnant after a loss and am scared about losing this pregnancy as well.  You might want to try posting in the pregnant after a loss boards or your birth month board (BMB).  BMBs are more active than first tri and I'm sure there will be other women who are pregnant after a loss (PGAL) there.
  • Options
    Thanks so much, that is a great idea. I apprciate it!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    There are many of us around.  It's a sucky club to be a part of!  I echo the previous poster about reaching out on your BMB.  My board has had a weekly check in which has been a life saver many times for me.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Me: 29 & Husband: 36                                                         
    Married: October 2014
    NTNP: April 2015 - June 2015
    M/C: June 2015
    TTC #1 since September 2015
    BFP: 11/9/15 - EDD: 7/24/16
  • Options
    0Face0Face member
    I experienced a loss a little earlier than 11 weeks, however it doesn't change the lingering apprehensive feelings that are common among loss moms.  I am just past the point of when I lost the first baby, and each day is a struggle to be hopeful.  I try to just remember that I'm not in control---and to take it one day at a time.  *back pats*

Formerly: FtrMrsO

Me: 34  DH: 35

Married: Oct. 2007

TTC #1:  June 2015

BFP#1 3/19/16  MC 3/28/16

BFP #2 5/26/16 EDD 1/31/17

• Options
    It's hard. It took me about three months to get pregnant again and I would be surprised if anyone didn't feel apprehensive about it. I had a guest speaker in one of my nursing classes come to talk about loss (she had a stillbirth herself and has counseled many couples at the hospital dealing with PGAL) and she suggested making a circle chart comparing and contrasting the pregnancies to help point out that the two are different. Here's one I made as an example a while ago- it might be a good exercise for you.

Otherwise, know that you're definitely not alone. Pretty much every PGAL woman goes through this. It does get better over time. As others said, on any given BMB there are usually quite a few people going through the same thing and there's usually dedicated PGAL check-ins. Good luck- I hope you get your rainbow baby. 

BFP #1 10/30/15 MMC found 11/30/15 D&C 12/11/15 EDD 7/9/16
    BFP #2  3/21/16    Nora Mae born 12/6/16
    BFP #3 11/27/20    EDD 8/6/21
    healing comes in waves, and maybe today the wave hits the rocks and that’s ok, that’s ok, darling. you are still healing, you are still healing- Ijeoma Umebinyuo, be gentle with yourself

• Options
    juliasotirjuliasotir member
    edited June 2016
    I am so sorry for your loss, unfortunately I completely understand.  We had 2 mc before I found out I had mthfr. Then I got on a folic acid and aspirin regiment and finally got pregnant with our little girl Evelyn Rose. Unfortunately we lost her, she was trisomy 13. I delivered her but she was already gone by the time we got to hold her. We started trying right away after our Evelyn had passed. I just wanted to be pregnant again more than anything. I had one af and then got pregnant immediately. I am now 6 weeks. Today I had pink colored discharge that turned to bright red spotting. It's mostly only when I wipe. Sorry for tmi. I am just very concerned now that it is going to be another loss for our family. I don't know how much more we can handle. I called my dr. And we are having an ultrasound first thing tomorrow. I'm just so nervous.  Please pray this baby will make it.
  • Options
    I miscarried at 8 weeks and was pregnant again the next month. I really struggled for a while not wanting to connect and get my hopes up. I'm almost 35 weeks pregnant now and still have days where I freak myself out. You've learned the hard way that things don't always go as planned but try to stay optimistic the best you can. Keep hanging in there mama 
  • Options
    I am sorry for your loss. We lost our first one as well. It's hard to get going again. We conceived right away through fertility treatments. Like it was mentioned before jump over to the pregnancy after loss. They are so supportive. Honestly ppl on this board are much more abrasive and less understanding than the other board. 
  • Options
    Thank you all for your support. Sad to say this is the end of the road for now, I'm going thorugh my second miscarriage as I type this. Bless you all and good luck on your pregnancies, I'll hopefully be back with a new little miracle in the near future.