Pregnant after 35
Options

Weekly Check in 4/1

April 1st oh my!!! Sorry I am late today I slept horribly last night.  :#

How far along are you? 

Age (only if you want to share, totally optional)?

How are you feeling?

Any baby news (tests results/scans/upcoming appointments?)

Rants/Raves/Questions:

GTKY: What have you been doing (or trying to do) to stay healthy/fit/ active throughout your pregnancy? Is there anything you wish you were doing right now to be more healthy? For the STM's how was it to "get back in shape" after previous pregnancies? 

Re: Weekly Check in 4/1

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Agreed @sporty1216!! We should get a cake and a beach vacation for every child's bday!!!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    No syphilis @redheadbride15!! Such a relief, haa, I dint know they tested for that?
  • Options
    oh yeah and @redheadbride15 great news on the syphilis! ha! 
  • Options
    @CarrieandRoy I did cloth diapers with our daughter for the first year before transitioning to disposables. We used a diaper service (Tiny Tots) which negated the cost effectiveness but made it super easy since they did all the washing. Overall I loved using cloth and thought our daughter responded well to them, not much diaper rash, I could tell easily when she needed a change (with disposables its hard to know sometimes because they absorb so well, but that can mean the baby is sitting in pee for longer than you like). Plus you get the cute diaper covers with cloth which is fun. We ultimately switched to disposable because I signed up for Amazon Prime and was able to get them super cheap in bulk. I was sad when I switched. Now that we are potty training we have her back in cloth trainers at home, but day care prefers pull ups for the easy disposal. I personally think she has more success training in cloth because she can tell when she has an accident. 
    If you are going to use cloth keep in mind that a newborn might need as many as ten changes a day for a while. Id use that number as a base to decide how many diapers you needed on hand before a wash day.
  • Options
    @Sporty1216 ha -- I forgot that I used to feel good all the time! These days I consider any symptoms list that doesn't include unbearable nausea pretty good. Definitely a new set of standards.

@jilligan14 I've been doing a ton of diaper research. GroVIA looks the most promising (wash the pads and reuse the diapers if clean). I might get a GroVIA, a BumGenius Freetime and an Alva Baby AI2 color snap. Maybe one or two others? Then I can try them and see what works best for me and the baby. If it works out, I'd get a diaper sprayer as well. I just did a brief search on whether you really save money. Answers vary, but on average it sounds like the savings kick in after the first year. I wish it was sooner, but it does seem worth it in the long run. Plus, a lot of people said their babies didn't get diaper rash with cloth.
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 2/19/15  •  MMC found at 9 wks  •  D&E at 11 wks (age 36)
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)
    BFP 11/18/15  •  DD born at 41 weeks <3(age 37/38)

TTC#2 since May 2017
    BFP 10/18/17  •  MMC found at 8 wks  •  Misoprostal at 10.5 wks (age 39)

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 5/07/18  •  MMC found at 10.5 wks  •  D&E at 11.5 wks 
    •  Testing showed it was a girl with Trisomy 22. (age 39/40)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• Options
    @sporty1216, sooo right about the 'how are you feeling!' Most of the time I just tell people I feel great, no need to get into it.

@rspalding001, sorry you feel so terrible, those first weeks are just the worst, I hope you feel better soon.

yay @createillumination  for awesome test results!
  • Options
    @carrieandroy -I have a similar cloth diaper plan in mind. GroVia is also looking the best to me, but I wonder if it's just because they have one the nicest websites and the helpful videos.  I have a friend using g-diapers and while I'm not too interested in those I may borrow one from her to try. I also want to experiment with prefolds under the covers instead of the pads (mostly for cost savings). I like GroVia because they're one size and have a ton of options including disposable liners for on the go. I imagine if i go with cloth it will not be an all or nothing deal and I'd definitely use disposables in the early weeks.

One drawback with the GroVia hybrids is that the shells need to be line dried. It's pretty humid inside in the winter here and I wonder how long it would take them dry... 

@jilligan14 - thanks for the bumgenius recommendation. I remember seeing good reviews for those. 

Sorry if I missed this in the above comments, but do you guys plan to use cloth wipes as well? Similar to with the diapers I think I might try it out and see... 
  • Options
    How far along are you? 14 weeks 

Age (only if you want to share, totally optional)?

How are you feeling? Mostly good. My thighs had been sore all week. The type of soreness that happens after a lot of walking which I hadn't been doing. 2 nights ago it was especially bad while I was trying to sleep.  Yesterday I actually did a bit of hiking/walking and my legs are feeling a lot better. I think the aches and pains are due to my lack of exercise and the fear of it only getting worse in the coming months is motivating me to get moving! 

Any baby news (tests results/scans/upcoming appointments?) next check up  4/11 

Rants/Raves/Questions: I decided to start telling people at work that I'm pregnant mostly because I'm starting to wear maternity clothes which makes it harder to hide. After telling the people I chat with the most I just asked some to please feel free to share the news. I just didn't feel like doing a general announcement. Well, now I'm afraid this method seems a little gossipy and strange. I guess I'm just the type to feel awkward about it no matter how the news is announced! 

GTKY - I signed up for a 4 week prenatal yoga class. As I mentioned, I'm already feeling some aches and pains so I wish I was already doing something to work on strength and flexibility. The class is a start. The short hike felt  great yesterday so I'll try to do more of that. 
  • Options
    For those considering cloth diapering, I just remembered that a local baby stuff store here in town (like a mom n pop boutique, not a big box store) offers a newborn cloth diaper rental program. They set you up with everything you need and you get to try cloth diapering without making the full investment. I think if you decide to purchase, most of the rental fee goes toward your purchase too, but I can't quite remember all of the details. 

Anyway. I thought that was kind of a neat way to try it out without having to totally commit before you know if it will work for you. Maybe local boutiques near you offer a similar program....

as for me, I couldn't commit to the laundry. But I know lots of folks who do cloth diaper and they love it! And, there's nothing cuter than a cloth diapered baby bum. ;)
  • Options
    @Sporty1216, you reminded me to comment on cloth diapering! We got a very generous gift of 12 bumgenius all-in-one's from DP's sister before DS was born (although he was so tiny that we couldn't use them right away). We used them in the early months while DS was home with us and I found them to be great and very easy to clean. At 6 months, DS went into daycare and our provider would not do cloth diapers, so that's definitely a consideration and something you should look into before considering cloth diapering. Since we didn't put in the initial investment it wasn't a big deal and we'll get at least 5 or 6 months use out of them this time as well. When we went to disposables, we used 7th generation and ordered them in bulk through amazon which as pp have said, is a good deal. You might consider putting cloth diapers on your registry if you're interested in trying them out!
  • Options
    Okay, so I don't mean to sound clueless here but how do cloth wipes actually work? I've never used them before, even though I've babysat many families who have used cloth diapers. Do you just keep a bowl of water by the changing table? Or a spray bottle??? Basically, how do you make them moist? And then if you have a really messy diaper, what do you with them as they pile up, all caked with poo? Dump them into a bucket? Do you rinse them in the toilet (with one of those toilet hoses)? Or rinse them in a bucket? I'm just trying to imagine myself carrying naked baby from bedroom to bathroom while holding the poo-filled diaper and a ton of poo-soaked cloth wipes and it doesn't seem like a pretty scene. I definitely want to do cloth diapering all the way but am scared of adding cloth wipes to the mix. Does anyone have experience with cloth wipes and can you explain in more detail the exact logistics in using them?
    ME: 36 (PCOS), DH: excellent SA
    NTNP since 11/12, actively trying since 8/14
    m/c @ 7w (4/22/14), m/c @ 6w (11/19/14)
    11/15: Letrozole, Ovidrel, TI = BFP!!!
    Beta #1(14dpo)=349, Beta #2(18dpo)=2,805
    12/17/15: Got to see the heartbeat (105bpm)!
    1/25/16: NT scan = normal (HB=163bpm)
    EDD: 8/10/16 
    8/8/16: Baby boy born @ 12:25am, 8lbs, 20.5 inches
    5/18/17: BFP!!! (11dpo)
    Beta #1(12dpo)=176.4, Beta #2(15dpo)=607.1
  • Options
    I've been looking into the GroVia Hybrid cloth diapers and I like that they are made from more natural materials than the BumGenius brand (which is all synthetic). Do you guys know if the "hook & loop" shell is bettter than the "snap closure" shell? I'm trying to understand the difference.

Also, when I used BumGenius diapers in the past, having a thin disposable liner helped with disposing of solids. I see that GroVia has something similar (this goes on top of your absorbency liner): https://www.buybuybaby.com/store/product/grovia-reg-200-count-bioliners-reg/1020238162?Keyword=grovia+cloth+diapers

• Options
    carrieandrcarrieandr member
    edited April 2016
    @jilligan14 I think hook and loop is another way of saying Velcro. Snaps are better than Velcro. Velcro wears out over time and more importantly, as your baby ages, they will be able to pull open the Velcro.

@bernierae I haven't been to the GroVIA site yet, but I'll check it out. I looked at a bunch of YouTube videos to get a good look at the various diapers and hear reviews. I'd prefer a shell with a snap in pad, like GroVIA. You don't have to wash the shell as often, and the snap in pad doesn't move around. The video of the Flip Hybrid diaper didn't look as good. The pad isn't as wide and doesn't snap in. The reviewer said it would get bunched up in the middle.

And I'm just going to use disposable wipes. And probably keep disposable diapers around as back-ups and maybe in the diaper bag. We'll see how it goes.
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)

TTC#2 since May 2017

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• Options
    After further review, it looks like the GroVia diapers aren't as natural as I would've hoped. They have cotton and organic cotton snap-on pads, but only the filling is organic whereas the outer cover (the part that touches the baby's skin) is still polyester. What's the point of advertising it's organic if it's just the filling? I have no idea if my baby will have sensitive skin or not but I would much prefer to diaper him in something all natural. Hmmm, the search continues....Maybe we should start a separate cloth diapering thread??
  • Options
    How far along are you? 18w5d

Age (only if you want to share, totally optional)?  41!!  

How are you feeling?  I'm doing okay.  I started taking Pepcid for my heartburn and feel TONS better, I'm still having hip pain and the pain in my pelvic area (symphysis pubis dysfunction), but I made an appointment with a chiropractor my acupuncturist recommended, so I'm hoping she can help me.  And, still sleeping horribly.  All in all, I'm still feeling blessed that I had no morning sickness, so I don't feel like I can complain -- even as I waddle around wanting to hold up my pelvis.  :)  

Any baby news (tests results/scans/upcoming appointments?)  So excited for our Level II / Anatomy scan on Wednesday morning.  I had an ultrasound last week but I asked the not to tell me the sexes so I could find out with my hubby.  He was mad at me and wanted to know.  You just can't please him.  :)  HAHA!

Rave:  I got a support belt from my OB last week.  It is AMAZING!  I was using a different one from my first pregnancy - not sure where I got it - but it wasn't nearly as supportive!!  

GTKY: What have you been doing (or trying to do) to stay healthy/fit/ active throughout your pregnancy? Is there anything you wish you were doing right now to be more healthy? For the STM's how was it to "get back in shape" after previous pregnancies?   Nothing - I can barely walk.  Seriously though, my diet has taken a major upswing since being diagnosed with gestational diabetes.  I'm eating less carbs and junk - though my endocrinologist is now telling me I need to eat a little more carb with twins (good lord, make up your mind!).  I work full time as a nurse practitioner so I do a ton of walking at work.  I can easily get 10-15K steps in per day when I work.  With my previous pregnancy, I gained about 20 pounds (8 of them in the last week), so with breastfeeding, that came off pretty fast.  I'm assuming my toddler is going to keep me pretty busy after the babies, so I'm hoping I can lose the weight pretty easily.  As soon as I'm up for it after my c-section, I want to start walking with all the kids.   :)
    *** Child & current pregnancy mentioned ***
    Me - 41 (PCOS), Hubby - 43 (healthy)
    7/2013 - Sweet baby girl born (Clomid + TI)
    3/2014 - TTC #2, return to RE 7/2014
    12/2015: IVF #1 transferred two great looking embryos - BFP!
    First ultrasound: TWO beautiful little heartbeats!!
    Harmony: negative; level 2: babies look great and are boy/girl! :) 
  • Options
    @jilligan14 a cloth diaper thread would be great. Whoever has info to share next can start it. I'm going to see my mom today to talk about my registry and cloth diapering. I'm curious what her input will be. (She's thrilled that I'm looking into it.)

@emsmama15 what support belt is it? I was thinking of getting one when running starts getting uncomfortable.
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)

TTC#2 since May 2017

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)

• Options
    @CarrieandRoy - It's a three piece one made by Bird & Cronin - which is a Mpls based company.  I got it through my OB, so it's probably a medical supply one.  I have another that I'm guessing I got at Motherhood Maternity, which worked - my OB just didn't think it would work well enough with two and my pelvic issues so early on.  You may want to look there.  They ARE about $50, but worth it I think.  Since I'm on my feet at work for up to 10 hours per day, I wore mine last pregnancy every day I worked.  :)  I'm guessing it would help with running because it just kind of lifts everything up.  
    *** Child & current pregnancy mentioned ***
    Me - 41 (PCOS), Hubby - 43 (healthy)
    7/2013 - Sweet baby girl born (Clomid + TI)
    3/2014 - TTC #2, return to RE 7/2014
    12/2015: IVF #1 transferred two great looking embryos - BFP!
    First ultrasound: TWO beautiful little heartbeats!!
    Harmony: negative; level 2: babies look great and are boy/girl! :) 
  • Options
    bgf1bgf1 member
    Very late again, with DH's work schedule changes we are in survival mode right know to we establish a new routine that works for all of us...

How far along are you? 24 weeks 3 days.
    Age?  37
    How are you feeling?  Status quo physically which is not too bad.  Mentally serious baby brain.  I keep it together at work, but I take an adult jazz/tap dance class once a week.  The last two weeks we learn a count of eight and move on and five minutes later I am drawing a complete blank on  what we just learned I feel like I spend 1/2 the classes standing there trying to remember what is next.   
    Baby news?  Next appointment is in 2 weeks will have the one hour glucose test requisition then too.

Rant/Rave..Had my first deal must have this now craving and dh without a moments hesitation went out at 11 a clock at night in a snowstorm to get me potato skins.... What a great guy: (

GTKY?  Still at the gym 3 days a week, I get more winded in cardio and have had to incorporate a longer warm up and cool down, but have been able to keep weights up at pre pregnancy level.  Dance class once a week.  Also eating more protein and have significantly city back the carbs over my first trimester levels.  With my first it came off easily within 4 months of resuming my normal diet and exercise... Then I actually kept losing because at a certain point I had trouble keeping weight on with nursing, but got right back to my pre pregnancy weight when lo fully weaned.  It took a bit longer with #2, but I was back to my previous weight within 8-9 months, I actually gained a bit of weight back when dd fully weaned and ended up about 5 lbs. Heavier

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    carrieandrcarrieandr member
    edited April 2016
    @bgf1 I craved potato skins once during the first trimester and my Irish husband didn't know what they were. He was headed to the grocery store, so I asked him to get some and he came home empty-handed. He said he couldn't find them. :'( I needed them so bad, I went and bought some myself.
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)

TTC#2 since May 2017

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)

• Options
    bgf1bgf1 member
    I sent mine to a pub for them the craving was powerful, but I was firmly snuggled up in my PJs and he is a night owl.... Wasn't sure about a grocery store having them (it is such a rarity for me to eat I've never looked for them). If he'd come come empty handed I probably would have cried
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @bgf1 the grocery store had them. He just didn't look hard enough. (Or ask anyone.)
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)

TTC#2 since May 2017

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)

• Options
    HI everyone New to this board. I just happen to find it! I've been on October 2016 board. 

How far along are you? 11w3d

Age (only if you want to share, totally optional)? Just turned 36 in March

How are you feeling? I seem to be on the mend from the ruthless nausea I had for weeks! And last week I got nailed with a bad head cold and bronchitis. Happy to be feeling better. 

Any baby news (tests results/scans/upcoming appointments?) Just saw the baby on Friday, everything looked good. We have our NT scan and Materit21 testing on Monday, April 11. Nervous for that. If the scan goes well we will be making our official baby announcement! 

Rants/Raves/Questions: Tried out my belly band today and I'm in love. I'm not really showing yet but the bloat/blimp is starting to make my jeans a little tight. It's very comfy and doesn't slid and keeps my jeans in place. 

GTKY: What have you been doing (or trying to do) to stay healthy/fit/ active throughout your pregnancy? Is there anything you wish you were doing right now to be more healthy? For the STM's how was it to "get back in shape" after previous pregnancies? Since I have been nauseous ALL DAY EVERY DAY and have been extremely tired, the gym has been nonexistent for me for almost 2 months. I miss it so much. Now that I'm starting to feel like myself again, I hope to get back into my routine very soon. Also with feeling better, I'm able to start eating more than just carbs. I have a desire to eat salads again and drink water. Both were huge turn offs. Chicken is still aversion for me. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Married 11-11-11
    TTC only since Dec 2015. I had some weight to get off. Been working hard in the gym for over a year.
    BFP 02-15-16 with our first
    IT'S A BOY!!! 

• Options
    Oh my gosh @MollySm I'm so sorry you had such a scare, but that is wonderful you had a good follow up scan. I would have been freaking out with a previous BO.  Welcome back to the game and enjoy that LO!  
  • Options
    @MollySm --I'm so glad for your great news! I can only imagine how difficult the wait between ultrasounds must have been.  Hooray for a perfect little baby and a wonderful heartbeat. Here's to continued great checkups from here on out!
  • Options

How far along are you? 33 1/2 weeks!

Age (only if you want to share, totally optional)?  36 but will turn 37 mid-June

How are you feeling?  Energetic followed by complete exhaustion 

Any baby news (tests results/scans/upcoming appointments?)   My 34 week check-up is on Friday and then I will start weekly appointments and NST's at 36 weeks.  Time is flying!

Rants/Raves/Questions:  Not really a rant or rave but I'm nesting like crazy and feel like I need to rent a dumpster.  I have been sorting and organizing for months but I feel like I'm not getting anywhere.  Oh well, maybe we just need a bigger house?!?!?

GTKY: What have you been doing (or trying to do) to stay healthy/fit/ active throughout your pregnancy? Is there anything you wish you were doing right now to be more healthy? For the STM's how was it to "get back in shape" after previous pregnancies? 
    I'm really not into exercising but I normally take the kids walking when the weather is decent.  We've been taking the kids to swim lessons so I've been in the pool weekly.  I've never had a problem getting back into shape after my pregnancies.  I firmly believe that I need to gain a lot of weight to sustain myself during a year of breastfeeding.  I find it hard to take care of myself when I have a new baby so all of that stored fat comes in handy!  I think I was back to prepregnancy size (or under) by 6 months postpartum with both kids.  
  • Options
    @MollySm whew! So glad you got good news!

@gemini2005 I was getting rid of stuff like crazy, too. My focus has shifted to working on my registry, but I'd love to get back to purging/organizing. It feels so good!
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)

TTC#2 since May 2017

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)