LGBT Parenting
Options

Weekly Check-In 2/22

Let's get caught up and talk about the upcoming week! 

@twomommiestobe ;
@vnegron87 
@beanie1977
@blakelya
@clairelosc
@angelicac06
@fsbc
@vl2016
@twochickshavinachick
@retropetro

Anyone is free to join in and participate! If anyone you know might want to be active, feel free to tag them as well.

Copy and paste the following questions so we can get to know each other better! 

What is happening this week? 

Any lgbt questions, advice, problems, etc? 

Gtky: What is your favorite book of all time? 

RE DX for me: Anovulatory cycles/Mild PCOS  RE DX for DW: Endometrioma on left Ovary.
Reciprocal Ivf Feb 2016. DW eggs and I am carrying. EDD: 10/27/16

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Weekly Check-In 2/22

• Options

What is happening this week? I had my second beta today. I am just nervous that all is rising as it should. 

Any lgbt questions? No, nothing this week

Gtky: My favorite books are To Kill a Mockingbird and The Diary of Anne Frank. 

RE DX for me: Anovulatory cycles/Mild PCOS  RE DX for DW: Endometrioma on left Ovary.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Noellee2005Noellee2005 member
    edited February 2016

Status: (ttc, waiting/benched, pregnant, parent)  TTC - we just tried our second IUI attempt on Thursday, the 18th!

What is happening this week?   We're on Day 4 of our TWW, and V will be able to test on March 3rd.

Any lgbt questions, advice, problems, etc?  I wonder for those of you who are farther along in the family-building process than we are what your experiences have been when your period arrives before the end of the TWW.  

This happened last month to V - she got her period at work the day before she would have taken a HPT.  She said she felt so bad having that happen and then she felt even worse when thinking of having to tell me.

Gtky: What is your favorite book of all time?   Tough question!  I think it's a tie between all of the books in the Anne of Green Gables series and The Scarlet Letter.

ETA:  So excited for you, @twomommiestobe !!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hello, everybody. Hope all are healthy and happy. @twomommiestobe so happy for you!

What's happening this week? Today is cd2 of the last cycle before we start ttc#2. We're so excited (and at the same time so frustrated at the wait) In other news, Little S can now say 'mine.' I don't know whether to laugh or cry

Any LGBT questions, advice, problems, etc? None this week. Sorry, @VL2016 but we never had that happen. It was the other way for us. My period was always at least 2 days after we tested (even the months we waited that bit longer) keeping me hanging on every time.

QOTW As a self-confessed book addict, I cannot narrow it down to less than a dozen. The first, alphabetically is Daughter of the Empire. 
  • Options

What is happening this week? We should be getting the results back from PGS this week and we have a consult appt with the RE to start our FET cycle!!

Any lgbt questions, advice, problems, etc? not really, it's been a very chill week other than a double trip to our regular GP due to a cold.  Normally wouldn't run to the doc on day two but I'd like to get started with the next cycle as quickly as we can but that won't be happening until I can completely get over this cold :neutral: 

Tough one...... The Blue Sword and the Hero & the Crown (both by Robin McKinley) also The Man From Earth by Richard Schenkman

• Options
    @VL2016 maybe your Dr should check to see if she has a luteal defect, since it sounds like it is short luteal phase. They can maybe put her on progesterone supplements. I would bring it up to the Dr to see if they want to do some testing. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Hi yall. Still dealing with much anxiety therefore even reduced my interaction with my BMB. I'm hoping I snap out of it soon. 

Parent to a now almost 3 month, healthy, handsome 16 lb baby boy. 

What is happening this week? I am suppose to return to work from maternity leave tomorrow. I asked for more time from my boss. I am taking an additional week on PTO to see if my aunt is a compatible care giver for my son. If she is not I will be stepping down from my career to be a SAHM. Its the hardest decision of my life hence the anxiety. 

Any lgbt questions, advice, problems, etc? None for me currently. @twomommiestobe have I said congrats? Very exciting!
    @vl2016 gosh I am trying to remember, I think my period always arrived after. I always tested 2 days before for perhaps that made the difference. 

Not one that I can think of. The only books I have read in recent years have all been success and leadership provided by my company. 
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice, @twomommiestobe   We'll bring that up if we don't get our BFP this time.

I'm really sorry to hear you're having such a hard time, @angelicac06  I hope that whatever decision you make brings you peace of mind.  I can understand the need to take time away from posting.  I think I can speak for a lot of us that we'll all be here for you whenever you want to participate!

• Options
    Our PGS results came in! We have 8 very healthy embryos!! :smiley::smiley: 
    Amazing news!!!!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    So glad to have found you all (and this forum)!

TTC (at home w/ known donor)

What is happening this week? First insemination on Monday, then another try on Wednesday--wish us luck!

Any lgbt questions, advice, problems, etc? Has anyone tried "the stork" for insemination?

Gtky: What is your favorite book of all time? 100 years of solitude
  • Options
    retropetroretropetro member
    edited February 2016
    FirePoppy said:
    Gtky: What is your favorite book of all time? 100 years of solitude
    Completely *serendipitous* (not ironic) :wink: !! I read this book in my high school Spanish class! Well it was titled "Cien años de soledad"
    But it was the very first novel I read in a foreign language :smile:so I've always had a soft spot!
  • Options
    Hey everyone! Late check in for me this week; it's been a crazy one.

TTC via IVF

What is happening this week? Today is day 7 of stim injectibles. Scan yesterday looked great, sounds like we have 22 eggs simmering in there!! Another scan tomorrow to determine official retrieval date, but should be Sun, Mon, or Tues. Poor K has been a trouper and we're both very ready to be done with me poking on her three times a day.

Any lgbt questions, advice, problems, etc? I'm starting to have some thoughts about what it will be like with my MIL as we really progress through this process. She hasn't really seen us as a legitimate couple, but if we're married and raising our children together I'm not thinking she can refer to me as K's "friend" anymore. Just hopeful it will be the thing to jerk her priorities into place finally. Not exactly looking for advice, just something on my mind. I don't intend to continue holding back and acting like K's buddy when she's around. I won't convey shame to our children.

I read sooooo many books. Like I'm pretty obsessed with it. I have so many favorites. I love anything by Richelle Mead for a fun escape. Harry Potter is an obvious one in the realm of growing up a weird kid. The Handmaid's Tale my Margaret Atwood is a hands down life changer. Right now I'm reading Written in Red by Anne Bishop and I'm raving about it to anyone who will listen...I could go on for days.
  • Options
    Blakelya said:
    Any lgbt questions, advice, problems, etc? I'm starting to have some thoughts about what it will be like with my MIL as we really progress through this process. She hasn't really seen us as a legitimate couple, but if we're married and raising our children together I'm not thinking she can refer to me as K's "friend" anymore. Just hopeful it will be the thing to jerk her priorities into place finally. Not exactly looking for advice, just something on my mind. I don't intend to continue holding back and acting like K's buddy when she's around. I won't convey shame to our children.
    I can commiserate here, my wife's mother treats me the same way.  Her only defense is that she lives in an incredibly small town in south Louisiana, but it still stings when we make the yearly trip and she inevitably winds up referring to me as S's "friend."  S & I continue to talk over how we're going to handle this with kids. 

Obviously, this kind of parenting behavior made S's home-life really crummy growing up and she has only recently (last 5 years or so) started to rebuild a relationship of any sorts with her mother.  So I try really hard to let her take point on how we handle the things that MIL says/does, but I find that I'm a lot less flexible with how she acknowledges (or most likely doesn't) our relationship and kids. 

I guess in-laws can stink no matter what kind of relationship you've got :wink: 
  • Options
    Blakelya said:
    I can commiserate here, my wife's mother treats me the same way.  Her only defense is that she lives in an incredibly small town in south Louisiana, but it still stings when we make the yearly trip and she inevitably winds up referring to me as S's "friend."  S & I continue to talk over how we're going to handle this with kids. 

Obviously, this kind of parenting behavior made S's home-life really crummy growing up and she has only recently (last 5 years or so) started to rebuild a relationship of any sorts with her mother.  So I try really hard to let her take point on how we handle the things that MIL says/does, but I find that I'm a lot less flexible with how she acknowledges (or most likely doesn't) our relationship and kids. 

I guess in-laws can stink no matter what kind of relationship you've got :wink: 
    My MIL is very religious. Loves me, loves having us over however did not acknowledge us as a couple. It was very odd you see she declined coming to our wedding but congratulated us and gave us a very expensive gift. She referred to the wedding as "the party" lol until one day I just corrected her and said; "you mean the wedding?" Things did not change for the better until I became pregnant. When my wife informed her, she disregarded it. It was the breaking point for my wife. She stopped calling her, stopped answering her calls, we stopped going over. As sad as it was, I was glad she finally took my advice that she would behave that way for as long as we allowed her to do so. Finally almost 3 months later, my wife answered her call. When her mom said the baby my wife immediately said; "you mean my baby?" And her mother responded yes your baby. She finally got it. She realized if she wanted to be part of her daughter's life, she had to acknowledge and respect her family. It's been wonderful since. When she speaks to our LO she says to him; "your mommies..." lol :wink: 
  • Options
    @angelicac06 I love the heartwarming ending to your story.  It's so nice when babies bring people together.
  • Options
    @angelicac06 Thank you so much for that.  Sometimes dealing with unaccepting family can feel so hopeless.  It really helps knowing that other families have successfully dealt with these issues!! :smiley:

• Options
    @angelicac06 what a great story! We went through something similar with my MIL around our wedding--they were generally okay with our relationship (again, referred to as the "friend"), but when it came to the wedding they started saying they would "see if they can get off of work" to attend, etc. My wife ended up sending a very straightforward email saying that it was really important to her that they attended, etc. and included some heart-warming videos about lgbt weddings. It seemed to do the trick and they were all on board.

@retropetro I totally can understand your anxiety! We have a similar issue coming up, as my parents responded poorly to my brother's choice to give his son both his and his wife's last names (hyphenated). It was a HUGE disagreement and really made me and my wife wonder how they will handle our child...they seem supportive, but in the disagreement a lot of comments came up about biological children (versus my brother's step-son), etc. Ugh. Hoping for the best and that my parents will just realize that they don't get to see their grandchild if they act out.

This happened with my wife's cousin (also a lesbian) and her partner as well. Her parents were very "don't ask, don't tell" until the baby arrived--then they were all on board with both moms :) 
  • Options
    You guys are the best :smile: