Military Families
Options

How Much was your Tricare Standard Birth?

I'm trying to anticipate and save for my birth in June in a civilian hospital. I'd like to see if there are any ways to reduce the cost by bringing my own postpartum pain meds or anything else. If all of that is included Inwont worry, but I don't want to be caught by surprise.
DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::

Re: How Much was your Tricare Standard Birth?

• Options
    Here's a bump! I also work so I had my insurance in addition to my husband's and I didn't pay for anything. However, I am a diabetic and to avoid those costs, I did bring my own insulin and meter. The only out of pocket expense paid was food for my mom, since she stayed in the hospital with me. As far as the postpartum meds, they give you a prescription, as least I took mine and/or they sent it to the local pharmacy and I picked it up. 
  • Options
    Even being on tricare standard your bills should not be through the roof.  I have heard of people who were tricare standard pay anything from 25 dollars to 1000 (but for special circumstance) 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    I had my baby in September with tricare.  I was induced, high risk, epideral, and stayed in the hospital for 3 days.  It cost us $55 out of pocket.  There should be a link on your tricare website that tells you what is covered and what you'll have to pay for. (And I did give birth in a civilian hospital)
  • Options
    I delivered DD while on standard. My bill was $36 for everything. Everything should be included. Talk to a rep just to be sure and for peace of mind.
  • Options
    I had standard with my first two, and used civilian hospital both times - make sure you are using in network providers and are in network for your hospital choice - with my son (2011) it cost us a whopping $43, that was epidural, 3 days in hospital, and his circumcision..then with my daughter (2015) it was only $65, again epidural, 3 days in the hospital (as a patient, we were there a total of 5 days - my hospital was kind enough to let us stay there in room while we waited for my daughter to have stable enough blood sugars to go home). As long as you can stay with an in-network hospital, you'll be fine.  :)