TTC After a Loss
Options

TTCAL check-in 2/8

Welcome to TTCAL! This check in is a great thread for you to jump in and introduce yourself.

1. Introduce yourself (if you're new)

2. Status (WTO, TWW, Benched, etc.)

3. Rants/raves

4. GTKY: Where did you grow up? What is something you love about your hometown? 
me 30; DH 35
TTC since May 2014.
Aug 2014 BFP, EDD April 22, 2015. Low progesterone, started suppositories. Loss at 5w6d.
Nov 19, 2015 BFP at 13 dpo, EDD July 29, 2016. MMC discovered 12/29 (9+4). Natural miscarriage 1/16 (12+1).
AMH results 0.42, 1.2; FSH 12.1, AFC 10, dx DOR. 
RPL testing results normal. Nurse recommended progesterone suppositories in TWW.
Clomid + trigger + TI cycle August 2016 - failed. Thin lining.
Femara + trigger + TI cycle December 2016 - failed. Thin lining.
Short LP (8 days).
Acupuncture & Chinese herbs starting January 2017, lengthened LP to 10 days 

Summer 2016 LFAF awards: 

Winter 2016/2017 LFAF awards:

Re: TTCAL check-in 2/8

• Options
    1. Not new here, but rejoining after a recent loss. I'm Lizzie. *waves*

2. Self-benched, waiting on test results. Could take a couple months. 

3. Miscarrying sucks. For all the obvious reasons sure, but now all my friends and family are treating me like glass and I'm just so tired of it. It's the third time already, you'd think your friends and family would have figured out how you need them to react. Especially if you're like me and POINT BLANK TELL PEOPLE WHAT YOU NEED. That is all. 

4. I grew up in a small neighborhood in what I guess is considered suburban. We lived about 40 mins north of Pittsburgh, PA. I loved the trees and the yards and the light traffic in my neighborhood. There were lots of kids and we all played outside together, in all four seasons. El Paso is a desert and I hate the climate here. I hope my husband gets stationed somewhere with more greenery when our time here is up!
    TTC #1 - Started 7/2015
    MC #1 - 1/10/2014
    MC #2 - 10/15/2015

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    2. Status (WTO, TWW, Benched, etc.) WTO here. Let's get this show on the road.

3. Rants/raves: Was supposed to have my yearly appt today, but a blizzard has resulted in an office closure for the day. I've been rescheduled for next week, which annoys me because I'm impatient. I had planned to ask about a few different issues I'm wondering about, mostly my progesterone levels/short LP.  My new appointment is for CD 21, which would be the day (assuming CD 14 ovulation/7 DPO) I would likely get my progesterone checked anyways, so I guess it works out in the long run. 

4. GTKY: Where did you grow up? What is something you love about your hometown? I grew up on an island in New England (RI). I loved it. I tried living away from the ocean for a few years, in the mountains of Colorado and Vermont, but I just couldn't do it. I loved the access I had to the ocean and the respect and appreciation I have for it.
  • Options
    2.) WTO. I finally had my blood work done a week ago, and the doctor has the results. I am taking myself off the bench so long as he gives me the green light this week, of course. The nurse said she didn't see anything "wrong" when she glanced at the results but couldn't tell me more.

3.) Still so sick of pregnancy announcements. Makes me feel like an a-hole.

4.) I grew up a few places, but I usually say my hometown is a small town a couple hours north of NYC. My favorite thing about it is the mountains surrounding it and the fall there is the absolute best with all the apple orchards and foliage. I had so much small town fun.

hugs @FireInWonderland I hope you get the support you need soon.

that is so frustrating @BornReady! I hope the week goes fast for you.
  • Options
    2. WTO - this is cycle #2, CD14

3. I've been sleeping like crap the past few weeks - and while I love the knowledge that temping gives me, when I wake up with the alarm at 5:30 on a weekend after having trouble falling asleep... 

4. I grew up in 2 locations - Northern Ontario on one of the great lakes - gorgeous nature and the fall leaves were amazing - and then the Okanagan Valley in BC - larger town, but still with a lake and nature - and oh the fruit!

@AL_Twincities - I hope you have a lovely vacation! We were supposed to be heading to Florida next week but the MC threw a monkey wrench in the booking of time off so we're now looking at May... Luckily this winter hasn't been too bad for us (knock on wood)

@Fireinwonderland - hugs 

@bornready - I hope the timing works out - I love the snow but only when in cities that are equipped to deal with it and when it doesn't interrupt plans...

@SilentP - OMG me too! I've had 2 in the past few weeks where the friend had posted nothing on FB at all so it blindsided me. I don't know their story - how long they were trying etc - but I hope it is my turn soon. It is a problem for future me but I wonder what would be the best course of action when I do have my BFP - I'm leaning towards telling some friends and family individually and then some sort of FB for the remainder at the 6 month mark. 
    ---TW BFP and MC mentioned - scroll down past the Lilo and Stitch gif to avoid ---

Me: 33 & DH: 33
    Married: 07/2006
    TTC: 10/2015
    BFP #1: 11/2015, MC 12/2015 (7 weeks)
    BFP #2: 06/2016, EDD 2/15/2017

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @FireInWonderland I'm sorry your family and friends aren't giving you the support you need. I have some family members who are the same way - nothing makes you feel more lonely and alone than people not reaching out and offering support or even acknowledging your loss in any way. Hugs!
    me 30; DH 35
    TTC since May 2014.
    Aug 2014 BFP, EDD April 22, 2015. Low progesterone, started suppositories. Loss at 5w6d.
    Nov 19, 2015 BFP at 13 dpo, EDD July 29, 2016. MMC discovered 12/29 (9+4). Natural miscarriage 1/16 (12+1).
    RPL testing results normal. Nurse recommended progesterone suppositories in TWW.
    Short LP (8 days).

Summer 2016 LFAF awards: 

• Options
    GoldenTMamaGoldenTMama member
    edited February 2016
    2. CD2, so we start again...

3. Spending time with my sister this weened was fun but it's hard knowing she's pregnant again and I'm not. Blah. FX I will be pregnant again soon. 

4. I grew up in Southern California, in a suburb of LA. I loved it, the weather is great and we lived less than an hour from everything, beach, desert, snow-topped mountains, forest. We actually grew up about 10 miles south of a national forest, while living in a pretty busy city, so it always felt like we had the best of both worlds. We live pretty close to LA now too, just closer to the beach
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    2.  Benched. Still waiting for my ultrasound in a couple days and for my cycle to resume.

3. I went to see a new dentist, having moved cities in between appointments, because one of my teeth broke a couple days ago and he tried to surreptitiously secure my husband's consent to pull my tooth whilst telling me there was nothing wrong with it and it was in my head. WHAT? As though my husband were in charge of my body? I feel so violated and at the worst time in my life, too. Awesome. In addition, my follow-up appointment with the early pregnancy clinic was written down incorrectly and now I can't get catch anyone on the phone and the place I left a message (ugh it was directed to the birthing centre at the hospital) said it might take two business days to return my call - at which point I will have missed the appointment. I guess I'll go both days...

I should find a rave. Umm, it's supposed to snow this week and I'm really happy about that. Not only do the farmers need that for the wonderful vegetables they grow, but I also love winter and we've had nothing even resembling real winter in Toronto this year. Hmm I kind of complained there, didn't I? OK, I'm looking forward to my ultrasound providing some peace of mind, or at least the final direction this whole nightmare will take. I should also rave about my incredible husband who has done everything for me for the past two months and has arranged to be at home through this whole miscarriage making sure that I am well taken care of. He has risen above any anxiety he's experiencing and I love that in hard times you have the opportunity to fall in love again with someone you already thought you couldn't love any deeper. Still happy to have the chance to get to know all of you, too. 

4. I was born and raised in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. I lived there for 27 years before finally moving to Montreal. I wasn't there long, but I definitely consider it more my home than Winnipeg. I love the prairies; the profound flatness of my childhood home is a great source of comfort to me. There are also incredible trees in the downtown core, some planted as long as four hundred years ago. Winnipeg is scrappy and cold and bleak, but I love that its landscape and harsh winters helped shape who I am and part of who I will always be. Montreal is my true home; it's where my heart lives but it's so famous for its beauty it doesn't need me waxing lyrical about it. 

Renee, 34 + Devon, 29 married 08/13 <3
    TTC  09/15
    *TW Loss mentioned*
    BFP 12/15/15 EDD: 08/26/16
    MMC discovered 1/25/16 at 9 +3
    TTCAL 3/2016
    Acupuncture 11/16
    Dx December 2016: unexplained 
    January 2017: 50 mg Clomid + TI =
    BFP #2 01/30/17  Please be a sticky baby!
    EDD: 10/15/17  Measuring ahead! 10/12/17 
    Ambrose born on his due date!

• Options
    1. Hi everyone. I'm new to this group. I was active on TTGP for a little while and then Sept '16. DH and I are both 29, had our BFP early January after trying since August. We found out baby wasn't growing at our 7w ultrasound and then saw no heartbeat on the follow up. Still waiting to miscarry

2. Benched. I'm waiting to miscarry naturally so it'll be a little while before we're TTC again, but I need somewhere to hang out in the mean time. I think I would go crazy if I didn't have people to talk to who understand what I'm going through.

3. I'm nervous. I wrote a little something (with some wonderful help from @AL_TwinCities - thank you again!) to put on Facebook about my miscarriage and I'm going to post it this afternoon. Like @silentP I was getting sick of all the pregnancy announcements. It's all so falsely happy. No one ever talks about all the worry that leads up to that second trimester announcement. Anyway, if anyone feels like reading it its on the miscarriage/pregnancy loss board. Wish me luck...

4. I grew up in the Bay Area (California). Now I'm in Portland. I miss being warm sometimes. I also loved that it only took 30 minutes to drive to the beach. Other than that I really prefer the PNW to the flat, concrete, hot, dry city I grew up in..

@FireInWonderland That is so frustrating that your family still hasn't figured out how to act, especially if you told them what you need. I'm sorry you have to go through that on top of the pain of losing your baby. *hug*
    Me: 29, DH: 29
    Married 9/27/14
    TTC #1 since 8/15/15
    BFP: 1/2/16, EDD 9/13/16 - MMC 2/10/16
    BFP: 3/17, EDD 11/23/16
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

November 2016 April Siggy Challenge - April Showers

• Options
    @reneeannemm - Yea another Canuck! Also, wow that dentist experience is crazy - I would have lost my s&$t after he was done with the procedure... 
    ---TW BFP and MC mentioned - scroll down past the Lilo and Stitch gif to avoid ---

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    2.) CD 5. I wasn't happy to be back here a week ago, but I am feeling pretty good about this cycle. MY Wondfo OPKs are supposed to come today and I am determined to get a positive OPK this cycle. 
    3.) I had my annual last Wednesday where my doctor assuaged my fears about scarring and endometriosis and I had a hell of an AF that convinced me that she is right and that my hormones were just out of whack. Unfortunately, she noticed breast "fullness" so she ordered an US/mammogram. It's almost certainly from my hormones regulating/ and impending period and she wouldn't have even ordered it if I wasn't TTC. Because my aunt got diagnosed with breast cancer at 45, I am high risk for breast cancer and so she convinced me to get the cancer gene testing done. I had been under the impression that the kind of cancer my aunt had was almost certainly environmental cancer, but I checked my uncle and he didn't remember, but thought it was probably a genetic-based cancer. So more and different things to worry about the next week. Yay! 
    4.) I grew up in a small town in Northern WI, but now I live in Chicago. I hated living in a small town for so many reasons. It was nice in the summertime to live on a lake, etc, but we literally had to drive an hour to go to a mall. This was pre-internet era, so my teenage self hated never being able to shop. Now I rarely step foot in a mall. I order everything online!

@catiecatp- I sleep terribly too and it's very much related to my cycle. Right before AF showed up, I was getting like 3 hours a night. Now that I am WTO, I'm sleeping much longer through the night. I probably got 6.5 or 7 last night. I think I got almost 8 both nights this weekend. It totally sucks though when you are trying to temp and you wake up at 4 am and have to decide whether to temp or if you think you can go back to sleep for 3 hours. I'm really hoping that seed-cycling will help normalize my hormones.
    *******************************************************************************************************************************
    Unofficial poll/question- is anyone completely giving up alcohol while TTC? I was firmly in the drink til pink camp until the CDC guidance came out, now I am waffling a bit. I think the messaging around that guidance is BS b/c it assumes that most women know nothing about their fertility. For example, I drank last night because I was in the middle of AF and H and I hadn't DTD in a week. I'm pretty sure that I wasn't going to give my unconceived baby FASD. However, I did learn in my research that alcohol can harm chromosomes, which I hadn't heard before. I got pregnant with my loss right after our honeymoon when H and I were on a bender through Greece. If I had known that, I wouldn't have TTC right away. I'm just curious what other people were doing in response? I can't change the fact that I drank all the pina coladas in Mexico last week on vacation, but I am probably going to keep it 1-2 glasses of wine a week during the TWW this month. 
  • Options
    Chloe, I would have maybe 1/2 glass/day during TWW. I'm a physician assistant, think the new CDC recs are bupkis! :-) Should we have all women of child-bearing age avoid caffeine too?! I'm MMC 1/25/16, first pregnancy, age 37 (DH 38), after TTC for 7-8 months. 
    Me: 37 DH: 38
    CP 1/25/16 4 weeks, developed Graves' Disease

• Options
    @chloe97 I'm glad that Dr. was able to allay your fears about scarring.

As to your unofficial poll/question. I am in the usually in the drink til pink camp, but since my acupuncturist is watching my temps so closely, i'm trying to stay away from drinking, especially around when i'm supposed to O and during TWW (more so because it can affect my temps and mess with my charting). Even after the (horribly presented) CDC warning I still think drink til pink is fine in most cases, especially since I think most of us TTC aren't doing a lot of binge drinking. My sister got pregnant on her honeymoon (at an all-inclusive resort, so she admits she was drinking copious amounts) and she had a healthy baby boy nine months later. He's almost 3 now and he is actually extremely bright (in fact my kindergarten-teacher friends say he is at the kindergarten level already). This is only one example, but it does show that there isn't always a connection that early on for either miscarriage or FASD. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @GoldenTMama I am right there with you. My acupuncturist has me on herbs that I am not supposed to take when I am drinking. Do you take those at all? I'm trying to decide whether to stop, I am thinking they could be why my breasts are doing such weird things. If I drink, I typically will just take the herbs in the am and not at night, but trying to keep it to a minimum this cycle. How is acupuncture working out for you? 
  • Options
    @chloe97 I'm taking herbs, but there was no specific direction not to take while drinking. I was directed to take my herbs 3 times a day after meals. So when I do drink, I usually have a beer before a meal or maybe a glass of wine in the evening, but not with the herbs. 

I think the acupuncture is really helping me. I have seen an actual change in my temperatures (higher now) and the length of my luteal phase (finally back up to 14 days).  Plus it is just giving me more confidence about the future. There is of course no guarantee for the future, but I do feel more in control and therefore more optimistic about a successful pregnancy in the future. I did have a bit of an off-cycle this past cycle, but I think it was just horrible timing and me not being as attentive as I should have. We had a welcome home party at our house right around the time I was expected to O, so i was up late, I drank more than I normally would, and I was a little stressed about having so many people over. 

I hope your acupuncture is working well for you! How long have you been going?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @GoldenTMama  Somehow I got stuck in the box. I am trying to go all in on acupuncture this month (along with all the other things), though I do have some doubts. I had a horrible cycle this past month, admittedly I had barely taken the herbs that month, so that could be why things didn't regulate better.  My cycles are now 2 days shorter than they were pre-loss and I have either a 14 or 11 day LP. My acupuncture visits are $$$ and I need to go weekly, so that is tough. H is a stronger proponent ot it than I am, so he is in favor of spending the money. I am going to give it 2 more months (when my FSA runs out) and then switch over to the community acupuncture place.  
  • Options
    @chloe97 I am not drinking alcohol or caffeine, at the recommendation of my acupuncturist. It took us 15 months to get pregnant this last time, but when I started acupuncture and following the recommendations (including no alcohol or caffeine) I got pregnant. Who knows if that helped, because I did end up losing that pregnancy, but I am definitely continuing to avoid alcohol.

@zrain good luck!! I am guessing you will have an overwhelming outpouring of support - you will probably hear from all kinds of people who experienced their own losses who you never knew suffered miscarriages. I can't wait to hear how it goes!
    me 30; DH 35
    TTC since May 2014.
    Short LP (8 days).

Summer 2016 LFAF awards: 

• Options
    2. Status (WTO, TWW, Benched, etc.):  still benched...3 weeks post D&C, went in for beta this morning and finally came back at -5.  We received our karyotype results last week saying neither DH or I carried anything, but then today when the nurse called she said our baby had a genetic abnormality.  Currently: a hot mess.  I knew finding out would be emotional, regardless of what the cause of the MC was, but I don't know if it makes me feel better to know there was a genetic/physiological reason this pregnancy didn't stick or not.  As soon as I begin to pull myself together, this kind of thing happens and sends me into an emotional basket case.  

3. Rants/raves:  It's probably just because today has already been a bad day and it's only 2:30pm, but I am so over political posts, baby announcements/gender reveals and anything else stupid people feel like posting on Facebook or any social media outlet.  I removed them from my phone and should probably delete or deactivate all together.  I can be happy for certain friends and family, but the random person I've met once that is on baby #4 is hard for me to see.  I know we all go through this and some days are better than others.  If it weren't for all the questions I would receive, I would probably rant on Facebook about miscarriages and loss, and why are they so taboo to talk about still, and that all you need to say is "you're sorry for their loss" and nothing else.  One of these days I will find the courage.

4. GTKY: Where did you grow up? What is something you love about your hometown?  I grew up in Beverly Hills, MI (currently still living there), which is a suburb about 40-45 minutes north of Detroit.  It's a nice, small community that is safe and pretty affluent, but what I love most is the diversity of this part of the state.  It has taught me a lot about the way other people live and to have compassion and show kindness towards everyone, regardless of whether I live my life the way they do.  
  • Options
    @chloe97 Oh my gosh, yes! the price! My acupuncturist is the one my family goes to for all sorts of things, which is one of the reasons I chose her (she is also board certified by my state for eastern fertility practice), but she is out of my network, so i pay for her out-of-pocket and i also go weekly. It's pretty nuts, but because I see actual results and it is also helping mentally H and I are willing to take the financial hit for now (on top of still paying off the 2 MCs). We were lucky enough to get pregnant fairly quickly both times, so we are hoping that we can get pregnant fairly quickly again (now that she has pretty much regulated my cycle) and once we do get pregnant I will need to see her a lot less. 

Best wishes that the next couple of months with yours go well for you! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @chloe97 I just saw that CDC thing the other day and showed it to DH, mainly because he usually tries to get me to have A drink since I've been so stressed lately... I don't think a drink here or there matters, but I gave it up because for me, it was like a true depressant; hysterical sobbing, super sad and I don't need that.  I'll enjoy a glass of wine randomly but that is about it these days.  I also had a friend make a rude comment in a group text about having "alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks at her party in case anyone was preggers", but it was directed to me because the one girl just had a baby a month ago and the other is getting married in 3 months.  It pissed me off and now I will intentionally not drink around her and she can wonder all she freaking wants.  

A question for you and @AL_TwinCities, how long ago did you start acupuncture?  I am considering it.  Is it relaxing?
  • Options
    @Aera11 I started in November, and it was the cycle I got a BFP. I have been doing it weekly ever since. It is like therapy for me - so relaxing, refreshing and an opportunity to just focus on my health. I am able to use my HSA so that helps a ton with the cost!
    me 30; DH 35
    TTC since May 2014.
    Short LP (8 days).

Summer 2016 LFAF awards: 

• Options
    catiecatp said:
    @reneeannemm - Yea another Canuck! Also, wow that dentist experience is crazy - I would have lost my s&$t after he was done with the procedure... 
    Yay Canada! 

Gah, the whole thing was so disorienting for both my husband and myself, it didn't sink in until later in the day what they had done. He told me my tooth was fine and because I'm so exhausted and emotional I took his word for it and thought I'd imagined it coming loose. Of course, I got home and it absolutely loose. I might lodge a formal complaint because that is not what informed consent is and his office was dirty. I'm just going to go to my old dentist, about an hour and half out of Toronto because he was very kind and gentle and would never, ever pull a tooth for no reason. At this point in my life I'll take the long trip over the chance of another scary encounter with medical 'professionals'.
    Renee, 34 + Devon, 29 married 08/13 <3
    TTC  09/15
    *TW Loss mentioned*
    BFP 12/15/15 EDD: 08/26/16
    MMC discovered 1/25/16 at 9 +3
    TTCAL 3/2016
    Acupuncture 11/16
    Dx December 2016: unexplained 
    January 2017: 50 mg Clomid + TI =
    BFP #2 01/30/17  Please be a sticky baby!
    EDD: 10/15/17  Measuring ahead! 10/12/17 
    Ambrose born on his due date!

• Options
    @Aera11 I started acupuncture in January and I am still on the fence. I know that it's not hurting anything and it's super relaxing. I'm going to give it a few months (when my FSA dollars run out). @GoldenTMama my insurance is really really good and will cover RE and fertility treatments if I end up needing them, but it does not pay for acupuncture at all. I justify the money spent because my insurance plan has a really low deductible and fantastic maternity coverage. Having a baby will cost me less than $1000 and another MC would cost me nothing since I already met my deductible for the year. If I didn't have this great coverage, I'm not sure I would spend the money on this specific fertility-only acupuncture place- I would probably go to a community place. 
  • Options
    @Aera11 I have been doing acupuncture since I miscarried in November. It's pretty expensive. I have noticed some benefit in terms of feeling more regulated, but I am still struggling with messed up cycles and a short LP. I do find it very relaxing though, like a nice 1.5 hour nap/zen time. I'm not sure how long I will continue, as it is not easy for me to schedule something in  my "free" time while my child is at daycare / before I go into work for the day. My place has super limited hours, so that has been a challenge. I'm with @chloe97 , don't think it's hurting anything, but as for me I'm not sure how much I'm getting in a benefit at this point.
  • Options
    Thank you @AL_TwinCities @chloe97 & @BornReady .... did your RE (if you see one) refer you to a place that specializes in Fertility Acupuncture?  I am hoping to talk to my RE this week since I've only heard from the nurse, but I will see if she is okay with me trying it and if she needs to refer me to a specific place.  I have been doing some research and there are a few places around me that specialize in it and now I am interested in giving it a try.  At this point, I feel like it can't hurt.  Thanks for your input!
  • Options
    Daisydoodle86Daisydoodle86 member
    edited February 2016
    2) TWW

3) Rant: apparently my cycle decided to change from a lovely 28 day cycle  to something else, because I'm definitely ovulating MUCH later than I normally do (usually test positive on a OPK on day 16, didn't test positive until day 21 this time). So I thought I was going to be able to test this upcoming Sunday and now I have to wait-- ughh! I hate waiting  :( 

Rave: They canceled school where I work, do I got a surprise snow day! This is an especially nice surprise since I spent my morning in the ER because of a horrible allergic reaction to something (been trying to figure it out for 8 weeks). I'm always thankful for an extra day to recover from looking like a Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade float  :p 

3) It sounds lame but I guess I really liked growing up in a town with a giant book store My favorite thing to do was to go and browse the books. I spent all my birthdays there with my grandma, spent Friday night's there as a teenager and ended up working there while I was in college! It's now my favorite place for date night-- hot cocoa and books :)
  • Options
    @chloe97 - sorry for the essay that is my post - I've got so many thoughts...

My issue with the CDC is especially with the infographic they created to go along with it - as well as the underlying message that women are primarily incubators that need to plan their lives around babies (I have a pretty big issue with the other half of the infographic - where it talks about drinking as a risk for violence - blaming the victim). Another issue is unequal access to birth control - and access to birth control by minors, lower SES women and... Oh and by giving this unrealistic standard, I fear that some women are going to question the CDC warning to avoid alcohol while pregnant.

I have a PhD in child development (cognition not biological development) - I haven't researched fetal alcohol syndrome itself but I can tell you a few general things.

Most teratogens are particularly problematic at particular stages of development (e.g., rubella is problematic in the first trimester, particularly in the first 4 weeks with decreasing complications after 4 weeks, and very few complications after 8 weeks) - the effect of the teratogen tends to be linked to what is developing at a particular stage (rubella affects the development of the limbs which are initially forming early in pregnancy). A lot of teratogens are most detrimental in the first trimester because that is a period of time where a lot of systems have critical periods of development, you mess up that development in that stage and you have major problems. The issue with a lot of teratogens is that there is a lower limit on when you can test for a pregnancy - and it (unfortunately) isn't the day after ovulation. And if a woman isn't actively tracking her cycle like a lot of us are, then it could be awhile before she knew she was pregnant - particularly if she had an variable cycle. We don't know if there is a delimited period of time (or periods of time) when the fetus is very susceptible to alcohol - and we don't know how much is too much (it likely varies as a function of stage of development) - so there typically is the blanket statement "don't drink during pregnancy".

The research this is based on is correlational at best - or I suppose perhaps experimental with animal models, which is a good place to start because of biological similarities, but then you get into some of the nuances of human behaviour that are tough to measure in animals. I could go on a tangent here - I often do in class - but at the end of the day, correlation doesn't equal causation. 

For me, I don't drink most of the time. I'd rather get my calories from chocolate... But I'm not going to blanket avoid drinking while TTC. Personally, I'm going to avoid during the TWW and perhaps when getting close to the end of WTO. If I've got AF all bets are off - but while WTO I know I'm not pregnant... And I won't drink a drop while pregnant, it just isn't worth the risk for me.

Someone mentioned the genetic component of the CDC message - I haven't read that part, but I question it. Some countries drink more regularly than others - for example Italy - and they don't have a proportionally higher rate of genetic abnormalities (as far as I know). My sense is that Italy also has less binge drinking than North America...

If y'all are still with me... well I wish I could give y'all a cookie :) 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @chloe97 - good call on tracking it to stages of my cycle - I'm going to start being more diligent about putting it into FF

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @catiecatp If you were on TTC after 35, you could see the tirade I went off on about the CDC guidance. I agree that the non-TTC part was just offensive and I agree that the guidance about not drinking at all during TTC just assumes a lower lack of awareness about one's cycle. The CDC should do a better job messaging around the idea that if you are going to drink while TTC, you should track your cycle and only drink during this specific time within your cycle. Unfortunately, that is too complicated a message for the CDC, so they just say all women stop drinking. This is just another way to shame women who are struggling to conceive for what they choose to do to their bodies and it pisses me off. As if I don't already feel enough guilt for eating brie cheese and too much dark chocolate when pregnant, now I am supposed to feel guilty for having a glass of wine during AF the month that I am TTC? I would find it hard to believe that they had any women who had ever struggled TTC on their workgroup!
  • Options
    @chloe97 - it is a complex message - people don't like to hear "it depends" as a response to whether drinking is ok - and compound that with the fact that different people have different conceptualizations of how much is "a little". I don't envy them their job - but they should pilot their messages with test groups better...

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    2. Status (WTO, TWW, Benched, etc.) TTA until next month

3. Rants/raves: Rant: I think I ovulated a week early, which would typically be awesome, but this really just means that now I will have AF on our upcoming vacation.  Ugh.  Rave: I'm going to Hawaii in 2 weeks and then we can start TTC again!

4. GTKY: Where did you grow up? What is something you love about your hometown?  In a small town in the northeast.  There is nothing I love about my hometown other than that I don't live there anymore.
  • Options
    Hi,

I've been on the miscarriage board for the last 2 weeks, and it's pretty slow, so I'll probably check in here.

Right now I'm benched by doctors, after that we might bench ourselves for a bit.

Snow day today! Also, my husband has been incredible in the 2 weeks since our miscarriage. He just always seems to know the right thing to say or do lately. This is not true normally.

I grew up in a large town in New England. I love that it is where I met my husband.
  • Options
    @zrain I'm in Portland too :-) But I grew up in northeast NY, closer to Montreal than NYC. 
    Me: 37 DH: 38
    CP 1/25/16 4 weeks, developed Graves' Disease

• Options
    2. Status: WTO on CD9. It feels like O is 5 billion days away. So impatient. Especially because I've recently had an ovarian cyst rupture and I'm really interested to see how/if this will affect my ovulation this cycle. Maybe I will pop some healthier eggs now with that sucker gone?! Hmm.

3. Rant: just had a frustrating day at work. When your job title has the word "advisor" in it yet people don't take your advice, then complain when things go wrong. ERGH.
    So that said I'll rave about the lovely snow day I'm expecting to wake up to tomorrow. It's going to be glorious. Normally I would scramble to keep up with work from home, but tmrw my motto will be "look at all the $&@!s I give".

4. I grew up in, and have returned to, St. John's, Newfoundland, on the east coast of Canada. (I see you @catiecatp and @reneeannemm ) We are a unique bunch out here on our rock in the Atlantic Ocean ;) I lived way on the other end of Canada in Victoria for a few years while DH was serving in the Navy, and people are so shocked we chose to move back to silly old Newfoundland, I mean how could we the weather is so miserable?! Heh. But nobody lives here for the weather. I love our sense of community, our Irish (kinda) accent, and how much talent this city produces - the music and restaurant scene here is awesome right now. Definitely a product of the unique culture and history.

@zrain I read the draft of your FB post on the miscarriage board. You go girl. That is all I have ever wanted to say to anyone who doesn't get it. Did you post it after? Either way - I just want to thank you for writing it.

@chloe97 - since TTC, I might have the occasional drink while WTO, but nothing during the TWW. I hear of so many surprise pregnancies where alcohol is present before, during and after conception so I have a really hard time believing the occasional beer or glass of wine will hurt my chances. 
    H and I both 30
    TTC #1 started Aug 2014
    BFP Apr 3 2015
    natural M/C April 20 2015 @ 6w6d
    BFP Nov 18 2015
    natural M/C Nov 23 2015 @ 5w4d.

• Options
    2. Status (WTO, TWW, Benched, etc.): Positive OPK this morning on CD 14, working on a Super Bowl baby!

3. Rants/raves: I tried a new OPK this month, First Response Test & Confirm, that might be my new favorite. I found it on Amazon and it comes with 10 analog tests (LOL) and one digital. When you think you've gotten a positive on the "regular"test, you take the digital to confirm. I've always used wondfos in the past but this kit worked much better for me.

4. GTKY: Where did you grow up? What is something you love about your hometown?: I'm an Army brat, but Colorado will always be home for me, and most of my family is there.
    “Be present in all things and thankful for all things.”  ~Maya Angelou

~~~~ TW ~~~~~~

Me: 40    DH: 39
    Married 12.19.13
    BFP #1 1/14, MC 2/14 (6wks)
    BFP #2 1/15, MMC/D&C 3/15 (12wks)
    BFP #3 6/15, MC 8/15 (9wks)
    BFP #4 4/16, MC 4/16 (5wks)
    BFP #5 7/16, MMC 8/16 (10 wks)
    BFP #6 3/4 , EDD 11/9/17
  • Options
    @FireInWonderland I hope you get the support you are looking for. *hugs*

2. Status: somewhere between WTO and TWW. My temps are crap this month thanks to all kinds of craziness, a sinus infection, and the stomach flu so its anyone's guess if O happened yet or not.

3. Rants/raves: Thankful for my two snugglebug pups today. They are so loving and sweet. It's been a great pick me up while trying to kick this sinus infection / stomach flu combo.

4. GTKY: Where did you grow up? What is something you love about your hometown? 

I don't have a hometown really. We moved roughly every 8-9 months; so I grew up all over the place from coast to coast. I did enjoy getting to see so many places though. Learning the history of the random places we drove through moving from one place to the next was fun.
  • Options
    @FireInWonderland I'm sorry your friends and family aren't taking the hint.

@reneeannemm I would be freaking livid over the dentist thing! What the actual f*ck?!?

@zrain I'm sorry you are still going through this.

@chloe97 I haven't drank alcohol since mid-November, but it was because I cut all added sugars to <25g a day. It made it a lot easier to give up since it's constant and not tied to the ttc emotional roller coaster. (I also don't do caffeine either, haven't in years. I'll order decaf because I like the taste.)

@aria11 I'm sorry finding out the reason today has been emotional. Having your beta clear (I assume this is what you meant? 5 or lower is technically negative) has to be good news though.

2. Status: This horrible limbo between TWW and WTO, CD30/12DPO. 

3. Rant: 
    All negative HPTs thus far. Weird spotting at 11DPO that I thought was AF starting that popped up during the Super Bowl right before the enraging "birth rates go up in cities 9 months after a Super Bowl win" commercial. Not a sign of it since. I think I might have a cyst because it feels like some jerk is pinching my left ovary... it hurts like hell. Oh yeah, and I must be anemic to boot because the lightheadedness is insane and it looks like someone put concealer on my lips. Like Matt Damon in The Martian had more lip-color sticking staples in his gut. I already take OTC iron every other day but you know, I'm kinda fond of not being constipated, so every day feels like too much. I just want La Magra to show up and get AF over with. Temps are down out of triphasic range but still over cover line.

Rave: DH was so thrilled we won the Super Bowl that in the midst of the excitement I talked him into changing his mind and putting wood laminate in the den instead of carpet, which is awesome since it's the highest traffic area of the house!

4. GTKY: A combination of North County St. Louis (nothing good to say there) and Jupiter, FL. Jupiter was nice because we lived in the rural area, 15 minutes from the suburbs and 25 minutes from Palm Beach. But I will never leave where we ended up, the Rockies are too damn gorgeous!
  • Options
    1. I'm sorry we are meeting here. I have been lurking on here since my miscarriage 2 weeks ago looking for some hope that people can come out on the other side of this. I have been on the miscarriage board, but I feel like this is the kind of support I need now. DH and I have a DD that just turned 1. She has Turners Syndrome and it was so hard to hear that we might might have lost our 2nd baby to the same thing. 

2. Status (WTO, TWW, Benched, etc.) Benched. My follow up appointment is Friday and I'm hoping to get the go ahead to try again. I'm also still bleeding and waiting for that to stop. 

3. Rants/raves: I'm still bleeding and it freaking sucks. I'm over pads and I'm over the reminder I'm not pregnant anymore. I'm really excited that my basketball season ends this week. I coach high school basketball and the season is finally over. I'm retiring from coaching for a while after this year and I'm so relieved I've made it to the end. 

4. GTKY: Where did you grow up? What is something you love about your hometown? I grew up in South Texas. There's a lot of culture where I grew up and I love it. I've never lived anywhere else but South Texas, so I don't have anything to compare. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    NamelessAriaNamelessAria member
    edited February 2016
    2. TWW: 8DPO... well I guess 9DPO now since it's after midnight.

3. So the BSC is starting to set in. Every cycle I tell myself "this is going to be the time I'm calm and collected no matter the outcome. And I'm not going to test early!" and then somehow around 8DPO I always have the BSC start to set in and I've usually lost my willpower and tested by 11DPO.

Also as a rave, several of you responded with some very kind words after I had the epic fight with DH over TTC. And I wanted you all to know that I very much appreciated it. DH thought I was spending too much time on TTC sites so I tried to scale back how much time I was spending on here. So I was rudely slow to thank you all for your kind words. @AL_TwinCities ; @BornReady ; @megsbrock ; @Lizzie5831 <3

4. I grew up in Memphis, TN. I can't really say there was much I liked about it. It's kinda like a giant ghetto in a swamp. I was always waiting for when I was old enough to leave.
    Me: 28 Husband: 31
    TTC#1: January 2015- September 2016
    Infertility, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
    Rainbow baby born June 6, 2017  ❤️

Baby #2 due June 12, 2018
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Thanks for all the hugs ladies. Sounds like I'm not the only one struggling this week - I just skimmed the new posts but I hope everyone gets their acupuncture needs sorted. My acupuncturist was great but I found her on my own. I don't know that I will go back for fertility because for me it didn't seem to make a difference, but it helped the anxiety. I'm in an okay place there now. 

I just shut shut my family out today. I have school and my husband to focus on and a couple of friends and DH who really get it and that's all I need for now. It's too aggravating to try and pretend like someone didn't irritate me by reacting poorly. So I won't. But I have so much on my plate now that it pushes all the baby stuff way to the back of my mind and I can function normally. 
    TTC #1 - Started 7/2015
    MC #1 - 1/10/2014
    MC #2 - 10/15/2015

Pregnancy Ticker