Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Why are Most Side-Snap Onesies Long-Sleeved?

Hi! I'm a FTM expecting our first at the end of April. In my quest to make sure that we have all the right gear for the LO, I've read on multiple sites that I should look for side-snap and/or kimono type shirts and bodysuits in the newborn days because they're easiest on the umbilical stump. However, when I search for these types of outfits, the vast majority seem to be long-sleeved (I have found a couple short-sleeved, but they are few and far between and/or super pricey).

So my question is, is there something I'm missing? It will already be pretty toasty here by the time DD is born, so I feel like I should be buying her mostly short-sleeve outfits. Do newborns need more long-sleeved onesies than short-sleeved, regardless of climate?

Re: Why are Most Side-Snap Onesies Long-Sleeved?

• Options
    kimey1kimey1 member
    edited January 2016
    Carters and Gerber have the short sleeved ones at affordable prices so I'd try there. I'm a FTM so I dunno myself but i keep reading that babies still have to stay relatively warm even in the summer.
    Also i like the ones with the mittens on the end of the sleeve so you don't need seperate mittens.
  • Options
    Two kids, never used side snap onesies. Regular onesies that go over the head work fine and don't do anything to the stump. It's only a couple of weeks until the stump falls off. 

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Rshapiro86Rshapiro86 member
    edited February 2016
    redfallon said:
    Two kids, never used side snap onesies. Regular onesies that go over the head work fine and don't do anything to the stump. It's only a couple of weeks until the stump falls off. 
    This. Regular onesies are totally fine and you should be able to easily find them in long and short sleeves.