2nd Trimester
Options

Told the sex at 13 weeks. Accurate or too early?

We had our elective gender scan at what was supposed to be 14.5 weeks but I royally screwed up the dates and ended up being 13 weeks exactly. They told me they'd try anyway....and the tech said it's a boy! I have a 1.5 year old son so I am falling in love with the idea of another boy...but sometimes I look at the pictures and I just don't see it. I mean, I see what I think is a penis, but it doesn't look attached to the body and the bottom part is very flat with maybe lines? And the one shot of the baby on its back with its willy just hanging all out there seems so impractical (and HUGE!) for 13 weeks. Is that even possible? With my son you could see a small bump in between his legs at 15 weeks, but not that big at all!! Is there a tech in this board or something that can help me out here? 

Re: Told the sex at 13 weeks. Accurate or too early?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm completely aware that the internet is full of strangers. There are billions of ultrasound photos on google for creeps to stare at, regardless if my unnamed photo is on a pregnancy board. It's exactly what you said it is, an unborn child's genitals that can't even be determined as male or female so I'm not too worried about it in the least. 
  • Options
    My understanding that while a tech can give an educated guess at this stage, genitalia look very similar still. I was told mine looked like DD, but the tech prefaced it at 60% chance beforehand. You'll have to wait until the anatomy scan for a more definitive answer.

• Options
    What makes you say girl? It makes no difference to me what the sex is, I'm just really curious. This place has a money back guarantee so if it is a girl I'll get my 50 bucks back :-)
  • Options
    That's what I heard as well, although I heard it's harder to get a boy wrong than to get a girl wrong. I'm wondering why this place offers it at 14 weeks if it looks similar. IMO, I wouldn't want to risk my reputation on it, ya know? I guess we'll see.
  • Options
    Far too early, in my opinion.
  • Options
    FYI if you can't already tell posting pictures of your child's genitals never goes over well here. To answer your question, 13 weeks is too early. I had a friend just a few months ago get told she was having a girl at 13 weeks 5 days and then at 20 weeks they told her boy. She ended up having a boy. They both look the same at 13 weeks. Wait until closer to 20 weeks if you want to be sure. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    It seems early, I went at 14.4 weeks and they told me girl and I think they are right but I am still keeping it in the back of my mind that it could change. In my ultrasound the umbilical cord was between her legs but it was bigger then what boy parts would look like and she had flat lines there which is supposed to be the start of labia forming.

In your picture I cant really tell if what is supposed to be the boy parts is attached or not it could also be the umbilical cord. So I'm not really sure sorry but I would keep in mind that the gender might change at your 20 week ultrasound so I wouldn't go buying baby boy stuff just yet.
    Daisypath - nBGk

Lilypie - GQnA

• Options
    They were likely using something called nub theory which, while founded in science, relies on a very precise measurement at just the right angle with the baby in just the perfect position or else the measurements can be off. If they're trained very well and the baby was cooperative then they may be right. However, its a lot of ifs for my liking.
  • Options
    Much too early IMHO.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Very early. A tech guessed girl at my 12 week US, we went to a boutique at 17w and they also guessed girl, then it was confirmed at the AS around 22w. I purely believe it was a coincidence and didn't buy anything until after the AS. Wait it out a few more weeks!
  • Options
    We had a blood test at 10 weeks that told us the sex of the baby. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We had an ultrasound at 13 weeks where the tech said they guessed a boy. We decided to do an elective ultrasound last night to confirm it! It is a boy. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    Too early. Not sure why anyone would do an anatomy scan at 14.5 weeks either as sex isn't clear or reliable until around 20 weeks.

Me: 29 / Hubster: 31
    Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We found out at 13 weeks and were told we could go back at 17 to be 100% sure. We found out she was a girl and yep, at week 17 she was still a girl! lol
  • Options
    I'm completely aware that the internet is full of strangers. There are billions of ultrasound photos on google for creeps to stare at, regardless if my unnamed photo is on a pregnancy board. It's exactly what you said it is, an unborn child's genitals that can't even be determined as male or female so I'm not too worried about it in the least. 
    Then why are you asking?
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• Options
    On another note, I have an issue with the sort of place that offers a "money back guarantee" on an anatomy scan.  Is that not somewhat sketchy to anyone else?  
  • Options

On another note, I have an issue with the sort of place that offers a "money back guarantee" on an anatomy scan.  Is that not somewhat sketchy to anyone else?  

Better than a place that makes a 50/50 guess and, if they're wrong, gets to keep the money from their coin flip.
  • Options
    Impatient much? 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"