May 2016 Moms
Options

Anyone knows how to deal with mixed emotions ? Abortion and keeping ?

I've been thinking of abortion lately

Best Answers

• Options
    asunnaasunna member
    Answer ✓
    the best thing you can do is weight out all your options and be informed as possible.

go to a nonbiased pregnancy center who can assist you in allowing you to know what your options are

everything you will need to know about abortion, and how its done
    everything you will need to know about pregnancy and keeping baby and what resources can help you later on
    and everything about adoption

you need to speak to someone who is unbiased of your situation and gives you as much information as possible, i would do it instantly as if you do choose the abortion route you have depending where you live a limited amount of time to do so 

best wishes. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    yogahhyogahh member
    Answer ✓
    I don't ever talk about this, but when I was 18 I had an abortion. Whatever you do, don't make any rash decisions. Take some time to really think about why you are thinking about this and how you might feel later if you do; it should not be something you decide on a whim. Feel free to pm me if you need to talk.

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    finnybooboofinnybooboo member
    Answer ✓
    I'm sorry you're struggling with this. Ultimately you will do what is right for you, but I do hope you really think about what it all means and explore other options besides abortion as the only choice. I am definitely biased, as I'm a pregnant woman who is freaking out everyday about losing a baby I want so dearly. And there are so many women out there struggling to get pregnant and have a family but who cannot. I want to cry knowing that someone who has been given this precious gift that so many women wish and pray for wants to get rid of it. I wish you best of luck no matter which decision you make.
    Baby #2 EDD: May 13th!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    So sorry you're dealing with this. Just sending hugs your way. Hope you can find a good support system, no matter what you decide.
    imageimage
  • Options
    vinerievinerie member
    Answer ✓
    It's a difficult choice, but a completely legal one. Talk to loved ones, professionals...AND yourself. Journal. I like your idea of "trying out" each decision. The choice is yours, ultimately. You have my support either way. 
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

Answers

• Options
    I can't say I am unbiased, but I can say this-- there are a lot of would be moms out there struggling to have a child. Or completely unable. They are waiting for a chance to adopt. After my miscarriage last year it was on my mind a lot. Recently, a young couple I consider dear friends faced a second bout of testicular cancer- bringing it more to mind. That's just the one side though. As the above poster said, a pregnancy center can give you more information.
    i went to school as a social worker so i learn to be completely unbiased on said subjects its in my code of ethics. 

• Options
    mrstmoose said:
    @asunna I'm a social worker too! Social Workers Unite!! 
    haha yay , im currently on a break from my bachelors due to my current immigration status, 
    glad i found someone else on board ^_^ 
  • Options
    @asunna - hope you can go back soon!
  • Options
    mrstmoose said:
    @asunna - hope you can go back soon!
    oh definitely i took this year off cause when i got married, i had no choice but ot go live with my husband which means immigrating from canada to america so im just waiting for all that to clear up and than im going back 
  • Options
    I think PP gave great advice. It's a very personal decision that no one can make but you. I would recommend getting information on all options and possibly talking to someone who can help you sort through the feelings you're having and help you come to whatever decision is best for you.

Also, just want to add *yay social workers* (I am one myself)! I love that our board seems to have quite a few!!

• Options
    It took a lot of courage to post this and I commend you for that. I echo what others have said and urge you to seek the advice of a trusted counselor/mentor/friend and to make sure you understand your options from a professional. I'm sorry that you are struggling with this right now and I hope you have a strong support network in your life to lean on - secrets of this magnitude can be very isolating and bring about feelings of shame that are hard to shake. Wishing you the best.

• Options
    yogahh said:

I don't ever talk about this, but when I was 18 I had an abortion. Whatever you do, don't make any rash decisions. Take some time to really think about why you are thinking about this and how you might feel later if you do; it should not be something you decide on a whim. Feel free to pm me if you need to talk.

Same here.

OP, You didn't mention any of your reasons why you were considering this option and you are not obligated to share if you are not comfortable. I would just make sure what you're feeling isn't just emotions from pregnancy hormones. You might want to consider talking to a therapist to cross out depression or something. If your concerns are financial, see what assistance is available in your area.

Hope you do find peace and happiness in whichever path you choose
  • Options
    I definitely second what PP's have said about seeing a professional for advice. I hope you have a good family/friend/counselor support however your outcome may be. Best of wishes to you.

I'm impressed with how everyone is responding to this post.
    DS #1 2010
    DS #2 2011
    DS #3 2014
    DS #4 2016
  • Options
    We were, until yesterday, scheduled to have one tomorrow. We are comfortable in our relationship and finances, but never wanted more than the one kid we already had. It's so hard to make this decision because you don't know what either decision is going to actually mean for you down the road. We made a chart of possible pros/cons at 0, 1, 5 and 10 years. Ultimately it came down to the fact that the regret and wondering that would have come from terminating outweighed the negatives of proceeding. But that calculation would have easily tipped the other direction and did.
    Also, we tried on each decision for a couple of days and saw how it sat. That made things so much clearer.
    Good luck! It is not a nice place to be in.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    4 early losses 2009, 2010, 2015.  Baby #1 born 2/13/11.  
  • Options
    BBHME said:

Don't let people sway you with guilt about other women who want a baby. That should not factor into your equation. I have been on the intense want side and yet was still capable this time around of feeling the opposite. And someone who feels tortured about whether to keep a baby should not have to endure another 9 months of torture just because someone out there might want a baby.

Man you worded that much better than I could I was going to say something bout that but decided to not fight with other users but you're right

It isn't fair for people to sway with guilt
  • Options
    doozer1345doozer1345 member
    edited October 2015
    asunna said:
    Don't let people sway you with guilt about other women who want a baby. That should not factor into your equation. I have been on the intense want side and yet was still capable this time around of feeling the opposite. And someone who feels tortured about whether to keep a baby should not have to endure another 9 months of torture just because someone out there might want a baby.
    Man you worded that much better than I could I was going to say something bout that but decided to not fight with other users but you're right It isn't fair for people to sway with guilt

Not trying to start a fight here but really how is the situation fair to anyone involved? I don't mean to be high and mighty but my opinion is people do have to live with their consequences. What road they choose to deal with them on is up to them but it shouldn't  come at the price of someone who doesn't have a say so bc that's actually not fair. It doesn't have to be a lose lose for everyone involved. Guilt is something she's going to live with either way. It's what she's willing to feel guilty of is the choice she's having to make.
    ETA: I had years and years of IF and one of my best friends got pg. She immediately wanted an abortion. I don't think she knew who the dad was for sure and she certainly wasn't in a position to take care of a child. I offered to take the child for her but she was bent on getting an abortion. I wouldn't take her to get it done but arranged for her to have transportation. She has suffered since with her decision. It's been 4 years.
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• Options
    I should probably stay away from this one.
  • Options
    asunnaasunna member
    edited October 2015
    i was going to comment more but i deleted it all as i dont feel its worth it to spark up a huge argument 

op please heed my advice as a professional in the field of mental health etc , please go speak to someone with unbiased opinions who can give you all the information you need to make an informed decision, which ever it may be 

• Options
    I do not want to advise you either way, just share my story and experience. I have terminated a pregnancy. I was in college, I and the guy I was with was in no position to take care of a child, and did not want to burden our families. We immediately made the decision to terminate. Thinking only of the facts and circumstances in front of us. We went to PP, there were protesters outside telling us "not to do it, how we'd regret it, etc." We ignored it.

I am still convinced that I was not ready for a child at that time. However, what I did not realize at that time, was although I was only a few weeks, I was already a mother. I was somehow attached to this growth inside of me that I didn't even want. It wasn't until afterwards that I realized how much I unknowingly loved the my child to be, how he/she was depending on me. There was instant regret. I couldn't look at any baby or pregnant woman for a year or more without becoming sad. He had regret as well. It took a toll on our relationship.

I finished school, started my career, and now I'm in a place where I'm totally elated to be 9W pg right now. And again I already feel like a mother, every bite of food i eat, every doctor i see, has to be the best! I've been anxiously waiting but planning with purpose to become pregnant again. However the what ifs of my 1st pregnancy still remain and I know that if I would have known what I know now, I would not have made the decision to terminate my gift.
  • Options
    katykatykatykatykatykaty member
    edited October 2015
    asunna said:
    Man you worded that much better than I could I was going to say something bout that but decided to not fight with other users but you're right It isn't fair for people to sway with guilt

Not trying to start a fight here but really how is the situation fair to anyone involved? I don't mean to be high and mighty but my opinion is people do have to live with their consequences. What road they choose to deal with them on is up to them but it shouldn't  come at the price of someone who doesn't have a say so bc that's actually not fair. It doesn't have to be a lose lose for everyone involved. Guilt is something she's going to live with either way. It's what she's willing to feel guilty of is the choice she's having to make.
    ETA: I had years and years of IF and one of my best friends got pg. She immediately wanted an abortion. I don't think she knew who the dad was for sure and she certainly wasn't in a position to take care of a child. I offered to take the child for her but she was bent on getting an abortion. I wouldn't take her to get it done but arranged for her to have transportation. She has suffered since with her decision. It's been 4 years.

Well, you do come across as high and mighty.  Having an abortion IS dealing with the consequences, and you have ABSOLUTELY NO SAY in what the consequences are to someone else.  Many people have abortions and don't suffer with their decision, but way to lay on the unnecessary guilt. 

OP: Nobody else can make this decision for you.  I wish you clarity in the weeks ahead and peace that whatever decision you make is the right one.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options

BreezieBre  you took the words right out of my mouth

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    No regrets....do it again....? Maybe they should wear a condom next time instead. A little easier isn't it?
  • Options
    No regrets....do it again....? Maybe they should wear a condom next time instead. A little easier isn't it?
    Whose to say they didn't use a condom? They are not 100% effective either. It's rather obvious that having an abortion is not easy

Agreed. I was on birth control when I concieved