September 2015 Moms
Options

What is the difference between..

I am due on Tuesday and went for an appointment today.  I got checked and I was 1cm, but close to 2 and 70 percent effaced.  The week before I was not even 1cm.  My question is, what is the difference between a membrane sweep and them checking for dilation?  I ask because I looked up what a membrane sweep was and it sounded very similar to what happened to me today, and I had bleeding afterwards.  The first time no blood.  Was he trying to provoke something?

Re: What is the difference between..

• Options
    Some doctors will sweep you without telling you, which is gross and unethical in my opinion. A sweep is different from a cervical exam. An exam is just where they take two fingers and see how big the opening in your cervix is (from zero to ten centimeters). A sweep involves using their fingers in a sweeping motion between the amniotic sac and your cervix. It can sometimes jumpstart labor (but not always).
  • Options
    I believe it felt like a sweeping motion, but I am not positive.  The one last week was definitely just a check.  This one I was much more uncomfortable after and had the bleeding unlike the first time around. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had a cervical check at 36 and at 38 weeks. The one at 36 weeks hurt and I had brown spotting afterward and a bit of cramping. The one at 38 weeks hurt worse and I had red spotting afterward and cramping. I know she didn't sweep my membranes since I had just asked her about it and she said they would do that at 39 weeks if I wanted it done, but it did hurt worse than the earlier one. I'm guessing it was because my cervix was even more effaced and more sensitive.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    I had a little bit of bleeding when I was dilated to just 1 cm but never bled when they checked when I was further along. I never got sweeped