High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

C Section or Vaginal Birth?

I went to the doctor yesterday and they said I could be a candidate for a csection since on the ultrasound my baby is suppose to be 11lbs but that's hard to believe.  I am huge as my 3 year old would say but I just have a hard time believing that the baby is huge.  My doctor told me that it is my decision and whatever I do is up to me. I really kind of don't want to have a c section and I would not mind trying to push my son out. He also told me that majority of the ultrasounds are wrong sometimes.  I'm trying to do my research and pray I make the right decision on whatever I do.  I am really perplexed right now and my induce date is Labor Day because of my GD.

Re: C Section or Vaginal Birth?

• Options
    Honestly the ultrasounds are not always accurate and they can be off by a pound or two. I personally would try vaginally. It really depends on your pelvis. :)
  • Options
    I would do your research, prepare yourself for a c section, and ask your doctor questions. It's your decision, but I tried to labor first and just prepared myself for a c section.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    So try then, there's no harm in trying!
  • Options
    My son was 11lb3oz. I had an ultrasound 10 days earlier that said he was 10 lbs. I was induced but I never progressed and when offered a csection I took it.

Recovery was difficult and I wish I could have had a vaginal delivery, but I do not regret having a csection because of my sons size.
  • Options
    I would go for a trial of labor before just going for a c-section. However, if my baby is more than 9lbs I will be an automatic c-section per hospital policy.
  • Options
    I wouldn't be daunted by the idea of a large baby. You would be amazed at what your body is capable of doing! They are often inaccurate about the size of the baby first of all. But even if you do have an 11 pound baby you may be surprised at your capabilities. I knew multiple women who told me their largest babies were their easiest vaginal births! One woman in particular who had a petite frame, (5'2 and thin) with her third pregnancy her baby almost painlessly slid out while she was in a crouched position (At a hospital). 11 pound baby girl as healthy as can be!!! Do your research but don't choose a c-section based on fear.