December 2015 Moms
Options

Antiquated Birth/ Pregnancy Customs

So at lunch with my grandma the other day, she told me that she was put under anesthesia and unconscious for the birth of her three children. She's 87. Any idea why? I thought this thread might be a good place for us to share crazy things about pregnancy and birth that we've been told by mothers and grandmothers. Or anything else wacky that has historically been done during pregnancy or childbirth. Ok go!

SaveSave

Re: Antiquated Birth/ Pregnancy Customs

• Options
    My grandma keeps referring to birth as farting. She swears up and down it's not painful and girls these days wouldn't know pain if it hit us in the head. She is more of the "they didn't have it back then, so why do it now" kinda gal. :|
  • Options
    My grandma always talked about how she was given ether during delivery. She lived on a farm and her father was a doctor, so he delivered her (premature) twins. She (nor anyone else) didn't know she was having twins and says that once her husband realized there was a second baby, he was too excited and forgot to give her anymore ether. She also talks about how her father "couldn't stand to hear women screaming and crying during childbirth" so she didn't dare yell.

I have a sister 12 years older than me. My mother talks about being given something to be put into "twilight" sleep during her delivery. She doesn't remember any of it, just waking up and being told she had a baby girl. The doctor told her she was awake and pushed when she was supposed to, etc. but my mother remembers nothing.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If you watch the film "The Business of Being Born" it goes into practices back into the 1900's. My grandmother had four kids under "twilight sleep" and doesn't remember a thing. The "twilight sleep" was pretty much one of the first types of pain relief for childbirth and basically removed all memory of it. many women also had to get strapped down to the beds because it kind of made them go a little crazy during it, but again no recollection of it.

My grandmother also was given a shot to quell her milk supply and had her breasts tightly wrapped right after birth and was told to only bottle/supplement feed. So crazy, I can't even imagine having that happen to me and not even knowing really. Scary :/
  • Options
    My grandmother keeps telling me to get the shot after birth to dry up my milk since I'm not BF. This is my second baby and she's never mentioned it before.

Ether- scary stuff back then.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My mom told me, 'be sure to toughen up your nipples with a washcloth to get them ready!' (For BFing). I'm like, 'I think the baby will cover this issue for me, but thanks.'
  • Options
    @jmdavin i've been meaning to check that one out!! I'm kind of afraid it's going to make me feel bad for wanting a hospital birth with an epidural..

SaveSave
  • Options
    My grandmother and some of my aunts practiced something called "cuarentena" which is bed rest for 40 days after delivery. It's no wonder they never regained their bodies. I plan on exercising as soon as possible!
  • Options
    My grandmother and some of my aunts practiced something called "cuarentena" which is bed rest for 40 days after delivery. It's no wonder they never regained their bodies. I plan on exercising as soon as possible!
    40 days is close to six weeks, which is about as fast as most women get back to workouts, even our ripped Crossfitters at the gym. Maybe slightly sooner if your postpartum bleeding is super short and you don't tear.
  • Options
    LC122 said:
    I have a sister 12 years older than me. My mother talks about being given something to be put into "twilight" sleep during her delivery. She doesn't remember any of it, just waking up and being told she had a baby girl. The doctor told her she was awake and pushed when she was supposed to, etc. but my mother remembers nothing.
    I'm probably near your sister's age (I'm 41), and my mom describes a similar experience, with slightly more recollection, but not much.
  • Options

40 days is close to six weeks, which is about as fast as most women get back to workouts, even our ripped Crossfitters at the gym. Maybe slightly sooner if your postpartum bleeding is super short and you don't tear.

Yeah I totally get the no exercise but bed rest is a different story! They'd literally lay in bed all day for 40 days. I at least plan on walking.
  • Options
    Exercising in the 6 wks after birth sounds like a lofty goal! I'm a FTM but I want to give myself time to heal. I keep thinking of everyone who's said that you bleed buckets of yucky gunk for about a month... I doubt I'll want to go to the gym but that's just me.

SaveSave
  • Options
    I had general anesthesia (put to sleep) when I had DS in 2013. But that's because the epidural wouldn't work during my csection. I've never heard of twilight sleep! That sounds crazy!

I don't have any crazy stories about how childbirth from back then but I'm interested...this is very interesting thread!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @VegDumpling @Jmdavin business of being born didn't scare me out of a hospital birth, but it certainly prompted me to ask questions about the delivery process and also research stats, including c section rate.
  • Options
    @LC122 definitely true, but nonetheless still think it brings up some very interesting points in the current obstetrics landscape today. Looking at all sides of the situation.

Fact of the matter, when you give birth in a hospital today in the U.S., you are also taking on national average a 30% chance of having a c-section. perhaps some people are totally cool with that. For me, I would like to be informed of why this might happen, as it is not normal in any other industrialized country, and educate myself on how I might avoid a 30% chance of getting major abdominal surgery.

I totally understand that csection is very necessary in some cases and thank god we have the ability to do so. However, 30% is waayy too high...without asking questions and women educating themselves, along with the medical community of course, how can we help change and improve this?

I hope when our daughters are of child bearing age, they are not facing this scary statistic, and are not scared about birth at all, wherever their births may be.
  • Options
    When I hear about all these things, I must have the awesomest OB group and hospital anywhere. C-section is most definitely a last resort; the babies stay in-room with mothers with all checkups and everything; you stay in the same room the whole time (there is no separate birthing or recovery rooms); there is not a nursery at my hospital; there is 1:1 nursing.

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    redfallon said:

When I hear about all these things, I must have the awesomest OB group and hospital anywhere. C-section is most definitely a last resort; the babies stay in-room with mothers with all checkups and everything; you stay in the same room the whole time (there is no separate birthing or recovery rooms); there is not a nursery at my hospital; there is 1:1 nursing.

I feel the same! I didn't have any idea how great my hospital was until reading what lots of people have to say about their hospital.
  • Options
    @LC122 it's not "my" national csection rate... It actually is the national average: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/delivery.htm which is actually at 32.7%.

Like I said, csections ARE totally necessary in SOME cases, exactly like was displayed in the movie. Thank god we are able to receive this surgery IF an emergency happens to save child and mother. Yes, SOME women are high risk and need a csection. 30% of women? I dunno about that... Why doesn't any other industrialized nation have this high?

If people want to plan a csection, to each their own. I'm not bashing csections, knock on wood that my labor and birth go well enough that I can deliver vaginally, but I will be very happy if for some EMERGENCY reason I need one. All I am saying is that for women that want to have a vaginal birth, walking into a hospital where you have a 30% chance of having a csection is pretty intense. And just doesn't seem kosher to me.

• Options
    Last note...I'm not saying people shouldn't give birth at the hospital either, I just think it is our duty as women and a society to demand better. I don't want to have to face 30% chance of section because I choose hospital. What is happening here is not normal when you look across to other industrialized nations. We are one of the lowest ranked in terms of mother and infant mortality... The U.S. Should have one of the highest standards of care for women bearing children. It won't be solved tomorrow but it does take people educating about it and demanding better for the next generation.
  • Options
    @taysun @redfallon that is so awesome you have such great care available! The hospital near me is pretty decent as well. It actually has a birthing center with midwives right next door which is where I will be, so if something did happen, I will be able to go right into OR within same amount of time as if I were in the hospital itself.
  • Options
    @Jmdavin , so if you follow the link you listed, there are related articles at the bottom of the page and those get closer to answering the question I was asking. It's not the case that the average woman who walks into the hospital pregnant has a 30% chance of coming out with a C-section. There have been studies evaluating low-risk pregnancies, which are different from repeat C-sections and are also separated out from c-section risk factors such as breech.

Additionally, if you want stats on "other industrialized nations" I'll provide the link below with statistics on that. Many aren't that far off from the U.S. Stats. Scroll to page 18 for the table of countries with higher rates. Spoiler alert: the U.S. is not the highest.

https://www.who.int/healthsystems/topics/financing/healthreport/30C-sectioncosts.pdf
  • Options
    @LC122 thanks for this info! Great to see some states have a lower first time csection rate, but some are still at 25-26+ %.

All I'm saying is it doesn't hurt to ask "why" we do things the way we do and really understand all the implications and consequences (both good and bad) of procedures. To say there isn't room to improve our care would be foolish (just to clarify, i am not saying you said or implied that). There is a lot that is fantastic, necessary and life saving and life changing about obstetrics today. There is also some stuff that makes me ask "why" and wonder if there are things we are doing and accepting as "standard care" that creates unnecessary intervention and heightens risk for unnecessary intensive surgery.
  • Options
    @Jmdavin , I think we are in agreement. And I think the trends in OB are to determine evidence-based best practices. Just like the term "full term" has changed in recent years and evidence supports not allowing elective (or repeats who elect not to try VBAC) c-sections as early as used to be done, I think research is supporting a decline in C-section rates (which was also seen in one of those CDC links).

And what I think you're saying and/or would agree with is that everyone needs to be their own patient advocate (by asking "why?" or "why not" something else?). The Internet is a double-edged sword but it does provide more access to information that patients/women/people just didn't have before. The trick is to differentiate the fact from the fiction and use it to know what questions to ask to get the best care possible and preferable for you.
  • Options
    I feel like I was in a class, but that's all some good info. Obstetrics and Gynecology has a dark history until more recent times. Pretty racially charged too... On the other hand, in undergrad I had a professor who was obsessed with C-sections and how they were unnecessary surgeries and how the docs use them to up the price of birth. I'm of the opinion of avoiding a c-section if I can, but if it comes down to it that my son needs to be delivered by c-section, then so be it. I guess C-sections make me uncomfortable because I know several ppl with bad outcomes, infections...scars (well that one isn't that serious but the stories with them were dcary). I'll continue to research them though.
  • Options
    In last weeks "masters of sex" show on showtime they showed one of the main characters trying to decide on the "twilight" brith and the other main character who is an OBGYN talked her back into it. That was the first time I had ever seen/ heard of the anethesia for birth
  • Options

For people who do not want C-sections - Regardless of whether you deliver in a hospital or not, I think the most important thing is to make it clear to your doctor(s) that you want to exhaust every possible option before a C-section.  If you make that clear, most doctors will do everything they can to help you.  There are some things they can do to try to delay the possibility of surgery.  Once you're in the moment, make your wishes known but do whatever you have to do for your child.

When my DD was born, my labor stalled at the hospital and her heart rate was dropping periodically.  They put an IV trap in my hand (just in case), hooked me up to a constant external fetal monitor, and gave me Pitocin to speed things up.  They had to give me oxygen multiple times and do manual repositioning of the baby to try to keep her heart rate up.  They were seriously talking with me about the possibility of a C-section but they said that they would hold off as long as possible.  The real concern about waiting was that they could have to be a real emergency C-section and give me anesthesia while they got her out in 2-3 minutes--which has it's own health risks.  But, happy ending - I progressed fast enough before it got critical and was able to push her out.  She was perfectly healthy when she came out.

• Options
    Good thing I still have a few months to go because this thread was pretty much terrifying (my reaction below).  I did see photos a long time ago online about old fashioned birth and twilight sleep and I don't even want to know what all happened to women when that was allowed.  Seriously disturbing.  Hoping to never have to see an operating room in my birth experience but I know it might happen.  I really hope an epidural works for me!
  • Options
    Be sure to speak with your doctor about THEIR c-sec rate. The hospital I am delivering at has a c-sec rate of almost 40%, but that includes all births...births of multiples, repeat c-sec, elective c-sec, etc...not just first times. I asked my doc specifically about the hospital's rate and his rate. He seemed alarmed at the hospital's rate and informed me that his rate for primary births is 14%. He said that it is he & I that determine c-section. I really like my doc and am trusting in his opinion.

What the Business doc reaffirmed for me was my desire to stay away from epidural as it slows down progression which would then necessitate pitocin. One intervention leads to another.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I'm with you! I was back to walking two days after being home with my first (vaginal delivery with no pain meds). It was so nice to get out of the house. I listened to my body and didn't overdue it, but do whatever you feel up to!
  • Options
    Me and my dad were just talking about the history behind "twilight" birthing, very bizarre! He's an OBGYN and you would be surprised at the amount of women who demand c-sections, even going as far as refusal to push which leaves them no choice! It's not always about being in a hospital which raises your chances for an unnecessary c-section but your views on birth and the female body in general. Society puts this view of perfection after birth on the forefront and also creates a fearful experience. I will be delivering my third with a midwife and a doctor in a hospital birthing suite. I have never had a bad experience and I believe in quiet birth. Hope you ladies have blessed births as well!
  • Options
    Not to scare anyone. But check out improvingbirth.org on Facebook. Many women have shared posts about their birth experience. It is bias as it is to get support from negative experiences. But it was really meaningful to me to hear so many first hand experiences with OBS and midwives. As previously said, it's not about bashing but encouraging questions and thoughts that may not have come up before. It's not enough to leave birth to medical professionals. They are still learning too. At the end of the day, it's your body and you want to make sure you are getting the best of both worlds. Being alert to birth your baby, nurture and breastfeed, and also trusting your medical care to a professional in case of emergency. But I'm a big researcher so I have studied best baby positions, ideal heart rates through labor, and coping practices. Make sure your support such as hubby is informed as well so someone you trust is always in control of the situation. Even if deemed medically necessary to be put under. This is my advice. But I am having a natural birth at a birthing center.