Baby Names
Options

Lily?

We are trying to name baby girl #2 and so far Lily seems to be one of the few names we agree on. My DH doesn't like Lilian or any of the other longer names that would end up with the nn Lily. What are your thoughts on Lily as a given name? Is it too much of a stretch to name her Lydia with the nn Lily? 

I'm not concerned about popularity, I know its fairly high on the SS list. I'm more worried about how how the name will grow up--is it too cute for an adult? 

Re: Lily?

• Options
    I think Lily works as a stand alone name. I mean it is the name of an actual flower so really how is it different than Magnolia or Rose? I think Lydia to Lily is a bit of a stretch. Just use Lily.

• Options
    Yeah, I'd just use Lily. 

Lydia to Lily doesn't really work.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's great on its own. I have an aunt lily. It's short for Elisabeth. Our family has a ton of Elisabeths/Elizabeths. I am one and my aunt "Betty" is another.
  • Options
    Lily is fine as a standalone name.
    LFAF September Siggy Challenge: Pinterest Fails

• Options
    I have a cousin named Lily and my aunt and uncle gave her a longer traditional middle name to balance out the shorter first name. I thought that was smart!

EDD for #1: 3/19/17
  • Options
    4N6s4N6s member
    Lilian?
  • Options
    I think Lily is fine as a stand alone name and I don't think it's too cutesy for an adult. I do think it's a pretty name but it's so overdone. I know so many little girls named Lily. Lily Grace in particular.
  • Options
    Just go with Lily. Sweet for a kid and an adult.
  • Options
    MamaWren919MamaWren919 member
    edited August 2015
    I think it's a fine standalone name and will age well. To me, it's the same as other flower names. I don't think Rose, Violet, or Iris sound juvenile, so neither does Lily.
  • Options
    flasflas member
    Lily is fine as a stand alone name. My DD's names is Lilith and we call her Lily for short though originally I just wanted to use Lily. Lily as a nn was a compromise.
  • Options
    Personally, not a fan of Lily at all... I think it doesnt age well.  It feels like a little girl name to me.
    Married:09/27/14 
    Baby N-Born:10/29/15
    Our Angel: EDD: 05/11/17. MC at 6 weeks
    Baby #2- EDD: 07/18/17

• Options
    flas said:

Lily is fine as a stand alone name. My DD's names is Lilith and we call her Lily for short though originally I just wanted to use Lily. Lily as a nn was a compromise.

Love Lilith!

• Options
    Lilith is pretty awesome.

I worked with a woman named Lily. She was a fifty year old smoker with tattoos that didn't age well. NOT to say that your child will grow up this way, I just felt like Lily was a very ill fitting name for an adult woman. It felt strange calling her Lily. I think it's cute when you're little, but I vote give your daughter the option when she's older to be something else.
  • Options
    I'd go with just plain Lily. Lily is not a nickname for Lydia...everyone will be confused by that. If you want to call her Lily, just name her Lily! 
  • Options
    Lillian is my SD name - naturally I love it.  If concern over it aging well, go with Lilian (with one 'l' if that's how you prefer) and call her Lily.  I think Lillian is elegant, Lily is cute for a girl.  
    BabyFruit Ticker

Married Sept '13
    TTC Dec '13
    BFP 10/8/2014 MMC 11/20/2014 D&C 11/26/14
    BFP 9/20/2015 MMC 10/7/2015 D&C 10/15/15
    BFP 3/6/2016

• Options
    My full name is Lillian, but I only go by Lily. I just personally never really connected with Lillian and no one has ever called me that except at work. I do think Lillian can be a very professional/adult name but I've never had any issues with Lily as I've gotten older (I'm 23). I definitely think if you want Lily, use it as a standalone.
  • Options
    I love the name Lily!!