TTC After a Loss
Options

Intro

Hi I'm not sure if I am in the right forum. I m/c at 14 weeks back in January, delivered that baby a boy then ended up having a d&c a week later because the placenta never came out. Got pregnant in April (was in the January 2016 group) and lost the baby in June they did a d&c immediately. Last night I did a hpt using a few drops of blood because I still haven't had a period since my d&c on june 8 (bled till the 10th) and it came back positive after 5 minutes. It took longer for the blood to go across. I took a digital clearblue this morning and it said not pregnant. I'm so confused. Can a using the blood cause a false positive?

Re: Intro

• Options
    I'm so sorry for your losses.
    I don't think most HPTs can register blood correctly. Did the directions say it could process blood?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    🌈  Preemie 2016  🌈
    ♥ Stillborn 2015 

• Options
    edited August 2015

Not only can blood be an issue with HPTs, but if it did manage to read correctly, you may still have residual HCG in your system from the last loss. It is not at all uncommon to have residual HCG and for that to cause positive HPT results. Out of curiosity, why didn't you just use first morning urine (FMU), for your test? Generally speaking, if your doctor isn't testing you down to zero, your should take a HPT once a week until your period returns, and if 60 days have passed with negative tests and no period, then call your doctor to let them know.

Welcome to the board, I am sorry for your loss.

All advice given based on lengthy personal experience.

I am not a doctor, I just have a working medical vocabulary.

Always available to answer questions about loss, infertility, and TRP.

imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was tested down to 0 and I also used first morning urine and it was negative. I did get the positive blood on the urine test, had an actual blood test and it was a 10. Started bleeding very heavily last night though.
  • Options
    Dammit, I am so very sorry that you've had another loss. That really sucks.

All advice given based on lengthy personal experience.

I am not a doctor, I just have a working medical vocabulary.

Always available to answer questions about loss, infertility, and TRP.

imageimage

• Options
    I'm hoping eventually I will have one last baby.